What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So who is getting hit by hurricane Sandy? We are expecting a lot of snow and power outages. All of the trees are weak from our summer storm! They are calling it "Frankenstorm." :ermm:

We're supposed to get heavy rain and high winds starting tonight through Monday. We also have coastal flood watches in effect. We have a generator (DH just tested it) and a gas stove, so we should be all right. Our neighborhood lost most of its big trees during Hurricane Isabel in 2003, but there will probably still be power outages.

I'm heading to the store for a few last-minute items (already have water, canned goods and plenty of wine ;)) and to fill up my car with gas, and then we'll just wait for it to blow over.

There have been only two storms in my lifetime that I consider was worth all the hype. Andrew which devasted Souther Florida and Katrina. No comment needed there. :angel:

There have been only two storms in my lifetime that I consider was worth all the hype. Andrew which devasted Souther Florida and Katrina. No comment needed there. :angel:

I don't pay much attention to the news, since I'm married to a former Navy meteorologist. However, I have very expensive medication that needs to be refrigerated and we regularly lose power during a normal summer thunderstorm. And I was certainly happy I had filled the tub with water after Hurricane Isabel hit here, since we didn't have water service for five days. I know people who didn't have power for two weeks after that.

It doesn't have to be catastrophic to make people miserable, hungry and sick. There's nothing wrong with being prepared.

Last edited:
Excellent points, GG. Any storm can be devastating.

We have a chilly 45° here along the river, deceptively sunny.

Last edited:
It's snowing off and on here and I'm loving the cold weather. I do hope that hurricane Sandy is just a big softie and bypasses everyone.

We're supposed to get heavy rain and high winds starting tonight through Monday. We also have coastal flood watches in effect. We have a generator (DH just tested it) and a gas stove, so we should be all right. Our neighborhood lost most of its big trees during Hurricane Isabel in 2003, but there will probably still be power outages.

I'm heading to the store for a few last-minute items (already have water, canned goods and plenty of wine ;)) and to fill up my car with gas, and then we'll just wait for it to blow over.

We bought a generator during the summer power outage, my car is full, we have a gas stove and a grill. My husband went to buy water and a heater (we can plug it up with the generator!) We cut some of the trees around our garage but there is a huge one over our house. Hopefully it stays strong!

Once again it is rainy, windy and cold here. Yes, I know this is the "Great Wet North", but one beautiful day in 10 is just not enough for my aching joints! :wacko:

Addie said:

But if the conditions are right (aka wrong) this could be the worse storm for the area in the last 100 years. I think being prepared is a good thing.

Sandy may not be hitting us directly, but we're definitely getting some weather from it.

It turned chilly last night (50s) and very windy.

Very cool right now at 8.15am but it is so sunny and going to be a perfect day, 23 c with blue skies :)

Brrrrr it's real cold here tonight in SE S.D. It's starting to drizzle / sleet outside now. Just got back from taking the dog for a walk & the wind feels like it cuts right through you.

Here on the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp, it is mighty dreary. Hurricane off shore and southeast of us...cold front bearin' down on us from the west. Likely will rain off and on for a couple days. Some wind but so far not bad. A mite chilly. I hope we don't lose power...although we will get by even if that happens. Tricky getting a fire going outside when it's rainy and windy like this, but it can be done.

We have a light breeze going right now. The temp is in the mid 50's. Just waiting to see what Sandy is going to do. :angel:

We are at the lower edge of the projected path/cone. It is starting to drizzle outside already. The forecast for us is heavy rain and wind starting tonight through Tuesday. Possible 4.5 - 8" total rain fall over the next few days. We're as prepared as we can be.

All you folks in the "cone" - it would be good to hear from you via the "MIA" thread after the storm passes. Be assured that we will be thinking of you and hoping for the best. Hope Sandy disappoints the weather people's forecasting.

Miami beach had some high tide this morning.... I snapped a pic after it receded some but I never saw a tide like this before. Beautiful

image-1171149581.jpg

image-2792725776.jpg

image-3013741940.jpg

I've been watching it slowly evaporate and recede all morning....it's funny what can entertain you

Last edited:
We are at the lower edge of the projected path/cone. It is starting to drizzle outside already. The forecast for us is heavy rain and wind starting tonight through Tuesday. Possible 4.5 - 8" total rain fall over the next few days. We're as prepared as we can be.

Stay safe, Dave, & folks on the east coast.

Had a 3.9 earthquake this morning. Small quake, but always rattles the nerves. Another hot day - about 88 degrees.

So far very wet, but it's nice soft rain, almost a light fog. It's 5 degrees above freezing and supposed to get to 50°F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom