What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, damp and in the lower 30's here. Still a little snow on the ground from last night. At least I didn't have to shovel any snow today:)

HB, wish I could give you the sunshine! It was 20 degrees C today. No sign of rain yet.

Snoop Puss, seems that there is no need for Cara to give you water for the summer!! Pity our posts were wiped out yesterday due to server problem!!

The snow predicted for the weekend never materialized. Just lots of rain instead.

Today it's about 40 degrees F, 48% humidity, very calm, and grey, grey. Just about as gloomy as it gets. It really is Monday! Weather's supposed to get better over the next couple of days. Okay, I'm ready.

I have a question about humidity....what is 100% humidity...water? We have all these weird things to test humidity here, Milan is very humid, our house has had a humidity reading of 74-77% since I arrived (and we run a de-humidifyer about 14 hours a day!), but I can't help but feel if that is the case we should be a fair way to a swimming pool!

Well, snow was threatened here, rain felt more likely, but in the end both held off. Heavy rain forecast tomorrow until Friday, when we might get snow. We missed the terrible storms of Europe because we were sheltered by the Alps, so it just blew east when it hit the Alps and could not come south.

Todays max temp here was 7 degrees celcius. :)

I think 100% humidity means the air can not hold one more molecule of water!! It is saturated.

KATIE, I got your snow, got 5 inches yesterday, beautiful stuff, course everything was cancelled for today:LOL:

lulu said:
I have a question about humidity....what is 100% humidity...water?
Lulu, the following detailed explanation of humidity comes courtesy of DH.

When measuring humidity, scientists use two different ways to express it. One is called absolute humidity and the other relative humidity. For ordinary non-technical usage, relative humidity makes more sense and it is easier to understand and express. Relative humidity is expressed as a percentage. This percentage refers to the amount of water vapour that is present in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapour that can be contained in the air at a specified temperature.

Thus, 100% (relative) humidity means that the air already contains the maximum amount of water vapour it can possibly contain at the temperature it has. Air with such a high humidity is incapable of carrying anymore water vapour than it already has. This means that it would be unable to dry anything eg. wet clothes, moisture on the floor etc. It is rather unpleasant and tends to cause discomfort during sleeping and makes you wake up very groggy. In the summer it would make you sweat profusely.

In winter time, when the outside air has a relative humidity of 100% and gets heated indoors, its relative humidity will drop. This is not because the amount of water vapour in the air has changed. It has actually remained the same. However, warmer air can carry more water vapour than cold air and thus the amount of water vapour already in it is short of the maximum amount of water vapour that the air can carry after it is heated to your home's indoor temperature. This lower relative humidity will make the air a bit more palatable for you.

Beautiful and sunny - somewhere around 70 degrees. It is windy but very clear and you can see the snow on the mountains.

I like this time of year best in Southern California.

Cold as ice here. We have a heat wave coming that should get us close to freezing. Otherwise, we have about 8 inches of snow and it has been cold. Like zero and below cold.

We've had well below freezing temps for quite a few days, but it should be warming up to the freezing point tomorrow, so maybe I can shovel the snow once it softens up a bit. We only have maybe 5 inches of snow right now which is just above the ankle or so.

lulu said:
I have a question about humidity....what is 100% humidity...water? We have all these weird things to test humidity here, Milan is very humid, our house has had a humidity reading of 74-77% since I arrived (and we run a de-humidifyer about 14 hours a day!), but I can't help but feel if that is the case we should be a fair way to a swimming pool!

Well, snow was threatened here, rain felt more likely, but in the end both held off. Heavy rain forecast tomorrow until Friday, when we might get snow. We missed the terrible storms of Europe because we were sheltered by the Alps, so it just blew east when it hit the Alps and could not come south.

Todays max temp here was 7 degrees celcius. :)

Well in our flat in Rome, the humidity reading sometimes got up to 80% plus before we got the dehumidifier. When you touch something from inside the dresser, you even feel it sort of damp. It is really yucky. As I told you, you should really give a dehumidifier a try during the winter (during the summer, just opening the window should be enough), it helps.

Here in Rome it has been incredibly mild for the last 2 days, I even went out with a jacket. However after the big storm passed through the northern europe the temperature is dropping drastically everywhere, and the forecast has it that it should affect Rome in coming days too, along with some rainfall. Yuck.

Perishing cold and really, really windy. Blue sky as I look out of the window to the right, a big bank of thick dark cloud off to the left, the direction the wind is blowing from. I think I'll just keep looking over to the right for now.

i love being on the cusp of stormy weather snoop. i have some great pictures looking out over the gulf in florida and seeing the storms coming in. you often get really good lighting for photos in that sunlight.

we're finally into winter. had a small dusting of snow last weekend, and the temps are supposed to drop into the teens for daily highs later in this week.
cold weather suits me just fine.

i just got the ok from dw to book our first skiing trip in three years, so i'm off to scout out lodging on a mountain in vermont. a friend gave us their kid's skiis, so even my little guy is gonna get out on the slopes. need to get a helmet and leash, and a one way plane ticket. he'll be able to say he started skiing before he was 3!
(the plane ticket is for me in case he gets hurt. :cool: )

Storm hits also Rome... just in time for me to walk over to the gym... it is even hailing now. So much for the hip-hop lesson today.:(

Finally...some sun. After a cold, dismal weekend and Monday, the sun is shining. Still cold, but the sun makes it feel warmer than it really is. I can see lots of blue sky and the clouds are breaking up and going away. We are supposed to get more of the same tomorrow, with more sunshine and fewer clouds. Hooray!

Still, I really do like winter weather. I was quite happy when I lived in Minnesota near the Canadian border. I can always put on enough clothing, etc. to get warm. I have yet to figure out, legally that is, how to take off enough to stay cool.:rolleyes:

I hope we get at least one nice snowfall this year. However, it does not look promising.

The sun is shining on the pure fallen snow. The temperature is about 24 degrees. I got to go for a walk this morning, I was only out there for about 25 minutes but "oh" it felt so good.:rolleyes:

Its in the low 20's and cold as all get.......not enough to keep me indoors completely though..........had to run find me a new pair of jeans......but believe me I booked it to the car in no time at all.

Katie E said:
I can always put on enough clothing, etc. to get warm. I have yet to figure out, legally that is, how to take off enough to stay cool.

yes, this is the eternal problem. I want the Nobel Prize when I finally figure it out.

It's cloudy and in the 40's. It's been like that here forever it seems. We would love some snow also, but it isn't looking likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom