What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
72 in St. Paul. Beautiful evening. Seating outside smoking cigar. Worrying sick about my kids. I have 3 in Florida.
I have a brother in the Tampa area. Clearwater to be exact. He works at home depot. They sold out of plywood over a week ago. He said the roads were packed already on Tuesday. No gas anywhere. They are staying there.

Right now it is still calm. Looks like the west coast will be getting the eye directly.:mad: I hope everyone in Irma's path stays safe!

I know there's nothing you can do about other people's decisions. I'm just venting a bit.

I understand about the venting. My mom is still worried about them, though. My cousins in Ocala made it into Norfolk safe and sound. They plan on staying at least a week or until they know they will have power back and they can get in safely. They live in a senior living center that is built fairly well, has the hurricane roofs and windows/shutters that were used after Andrew.

My brother got his family moved to a friend's house that is way more fortified than his rental. They will ride out the storm there.
4800ae9f3c21488b70687d7edfa43523.jpg

Had to turn the heat on for a bit when I got up this AM, so the bathroom would be warm for Mom when she gets up. Supposed to be beautiful both today and tomorrow.

Cold, hot, windy, still, sunny, raining cats & dogs...and that's only this morning!!!

Whenever you have hurricanes we get very peculiar weather!

I hope you are all OK and haven't suffered too much damage to your property.

The British Overseas Territories (various islands in the Caribbean) seem to have had a terrible time with Irma. Complaints at this end that our Navy and Airforce didn't get there quick enough but I'm not sure what ships and aircraft can do in a full blown hurricane.

God bless (whoever your God is).

Oh, good. He must have changed his mind. Isn't Texas his state? The minion who was interviewed on the World Service said that the other affected states wouldn't get aid - he didn't mention Texas.

Well... I understand the no politics rule and will take my punishment but....

No, Texas isn't his state.. Trump was behind Texas aid from the get go.. He jumped into an agreement with the Democrats, to the consternation of Republican leadership..

I didn't, couldn't, wouldn't vote for him but, there are times he does the right thing, no matter who he upsets..

Ross

Sorry I haven't posted before now we have
been busy trying to get every thing ready for Irma
We are right in the middle of its path and we are
staying.The whole family is staying
SIL is with theSheriffs Dept and has been called in .
DD is a ASL interpature and she always on call.
Oldest GS is with State Dept water management district.
Three first responders in one family.Please pray for us.
The Computer just popped up a notice that Irma
had just made land fall in Cuba as a Cat 5. Craig and Karen
I am glad you go out. stay safe!!

Josie

My best thoughts and prayers for you and yours. Stay safe, I got your PM.

My brother got his family moved to a friend's house that is way more fortified than his rental. They will ride out the storm there.
4800ae9f3c21488b70687d7edfa43523.jpg
Since Irma is heading more west than predicted a few days ago, this area around Tampa is expected to get some of the worst storm surge of 4-8 feet and the associated flooding. The winds will push a wall of water right into those bays. Very scary.

Last edited:
I understand about the venting. My mom is still worried about them, though. My cousins in Ocala made it into Norfolk safe and sound. They plan on staying at least a week or until they know they will have power back and they can get in safely. They live in a senior living center that is built fairly well, has the hurricane roofs and windows/shutters that were used after Andrew.
The storm surge and associated flooding is often more dangerous than the winds. People underestimate the power of a wall of moving water.

It's RAINING!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

I honestly never thought I would be this excited about rain. But with over 150 wildfires still burning in our province and over 2 months without a single drop of rain, it is well needed. And it is a warm summer rain so that is a bonus.

LP, I bet there are plenty of people in FL who would happily send Irma's rain your way. ;)

I hope all of you (and any of anyone's "yours") that are in FL have found safety by now. I think I've hit overload worrying about everyone we know who are living down there. As retirees, we have many family and friends who retired to the Sunshine State. I think I'll deal with snow and enjoy warm weather when we're blessed with it in summer.

Meanwhile, here near Ohio's Amish Country, we're once again enjoying a cool and sunny day. Temps around 70, big patches of blue peeking between very puffy clouds. Pure Bliss!

Josie

Thanks, but the way it has shifted, I don't think we are going to get much more than strong tropical storm winds. We had made reservations for both coasts when it shifted to go up the middle of the state. Obviously, we cancelled the west coast reservation, but we did keep the east coast one as we were in a mandatory evacuation zone.

It's probably going to hit mainland Florida about where Charley hit in 2004. Unfortunately, that is where DD and DGDs live. They took off for New Orleans about 6 yesterday morning, which is where SILs family is, once it started to shift west. It took nearly 24 hours for them to get there, which is usually a 13 hour trip. SIL was going to stay due to his job, he drives a semi for a food supply service that has a contract with gov to get on the road with supplies when it's safe, but he decided this morning after seeing the forecasted path that he wasn't going to stay. He was nearly to Alabama a couple of hours ago so he's making a lot better time than the girls were able to. DD thought they had shutters for the house they bought about a year ago, but turns out they didn't. She's not happy with SIL because he supposedly told her they did when they bought.

We are getting feeder bands with rain and breezy weather, but that's about it so far.

I hope you and Craigsy are all right throughout.

My sis and family are riding it out in Jacksonville. Many other relatives in Jupiter and West Palm.

I have a few friends that made a lot of money in construction after Andrew. I hope this isn't the same.

We tried to get them to come in if it's a Cat 1 thru 3 but they have ridden them out before and they are stubborn. It's now looking even more like we will only get some wind and rain.

My granddaughter's girlfriend has a grandmother living at the very bottom of Florida. She is crippled and refuses to leave her home. "If I am meant to die than I want to do it in my own home." Well, I hope she heard the Governor's warning. "If you live in the mandatory evacuation zone and refused to leave, don't call 911. I have given instructions to our First Responders not to go into that area. If you call 911, no one will answer."

I can't say that I blame him. Why should the first responders risks their lives for someone who thinks they are invulnerable and can't be touched by a disaster. First responders have families also.

3 tornado warnings in last hour in our area, with some touch downs or near touch downs a bit south of us. miami dade nearly constant warnings according to news. Keys look really, really bad on pics from local stations.

Last edited:
Stay safe, Medtran!

I just read an article about some of the people who decided to stay in the Keys. I wonder if they could be arrested for attempted suicide.

It's RAINING!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

I honestly never thought I would be this excited about rain. But with over 150 wildfires still burning in our province and over 2 months without a single drop of rain, it is well needed. And it is a warm summer rain so that is a bonus.

Where are you that you're getting rain? All we're having here is some sprinkles - just enough to make the cars look like crap and smudge up the windshields.:evil: Worse than cat prints.

And the sun came out for the first time in three days just as I was posting.

Last edited:
Well, the weather here in North Texas is still beautiful. This isn't normal, and will probably end badly.

Craig and Med, you guys are on the "dirty" side of the hurricane, so you will probably have a bumpy night.

After seeing what Ike did to the Bolivar peninsula first had, I have pretty good idea what the keys will look like.

CD

Josie

Hope all is well with you, as my kids are I'm school in Coral Spring, you. An imagine I'm seating here all worked up. Even though they are saying that it will not be as bad as first thought. G-d help us and save us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom