What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That cake plate is stunning, GG! I have a pedestal cake plate that was my grandmother's, too. I'll get it out of the curio cabinet and post a pic of it later this afternoon after my grandson gets picked up. :ermm:[emoji2]
Thank you, sweetie! ? I'm looking forward to seeing yours! [emoji2]

Great tip on the plates, Janet H and GG... Thank you..:)
I bought a nice pedestal cake plate for the 6" cakes but couldn't find a dome for it so I returned it.. I didn't/don't want a standard cake plate... As I've said, I'm new at baking and new at finding what I need to have on hand...I will keep looking..

Thank you Cheryl... :)

Thank you, sweetie! �� I'm looking forward to seeing yours! [emoji2]

Thanks, GG...here's a quickie pic. I just love it - my uncle gave it to me along with many other pieces of her purple glassware several years after my grandma passed. :wub:

img_1506096_0_e4bf57a94c3b54888f11dfbb8b148843.jpg

Thanks, GG...here's a quickie pic. I just love it - my uncle gave it to me along with many other pieces of her purple glassware several years after my grandma passed. :wub:

img_1506101_0_e4bf57a94c3b54888f11dfbb8b148843.jpg
Oooohh, that's gorgeous! I love curvy glass! And furniture, and fixtures... All that good stuff [emoji2]

Thank you, GG.

Now if I could only make some of the delicious looking cakes posted here recently.....:chef::yum::LOL:

Lovely cake plates, ladies! I have a couple family ones from over the years. Now I have to start baking cakes to make use out of them? :huh:

...Best cake I've baked in my new hobby of desserts for two... :yum: The recipe is for a small sheet cake but perfectly filled two 6" cake pans...
Your cakes have been tempting me. Did you previously say that a 9x13 cake recipe works good in 2-6" cake pans? Before I bake any cakes, I need to buy small cake pans.

Once upon a time, before houses and children, Himself had to work a Saturday. I armed myself with all the raw materials to make a delicious chocolate cake with a custard-type fill between the three layers and chocolate ganache for the top. Good Lord, it slid so badly my BIL called it my "ABC cake " (already been chewed). It WAS delicious, however, as his three slices confirmed. The recipe from Averie Cooks looks like even I can have success! And bigger hips...:(

Lovely cake plates, ladies! I have a couple family ones from over the years. Now I have to start baking cakes to make use out of them? :huh:

Your cakes have been tempting me. Did you previously say that a 9x13 cake recipe works good in 2-6" cake pans? Before I bake any cakes, I need to buy small cake pans.

Her recipes says,
Yield: one 9-by-9-inch square cake, 12 generous pieces

The recipe fills the 2 pans I have.. They are 6x2 inches...

Not being a baker, I don't know if the recipe is standard volume or not..
I have found many 6" cake recipes but, I have not been pleased with the finished cake density.. Averie told me that all of her cakes are moist and fluffy.. I've only made the chocolate one...

The way I look at it is... If a recipe makes more volume that my 6" pans hold, I can make a cupcake or 2 or 3 with whats left over.. This cake freezes well.. Until I know differently, I will assume that her other recipes will also...

Ross

Great tip on the plates, Janet H and GG... Thank you..:)
I bought a nice pedestal cake plate for the 6" cakes but couldn't find a dome for it so I returned it.. I didn't/don't want a standard cake plate... As I've said, I'm new at baking and new at finding what I need to have on hand...I will keep looking..

Thank you Cheryl... :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Pion...75035&wl11=online&wl12=53965570&wl13=&veh=sem
Ross, I saw this at Walmart and it's adorable!
8 1/4 inches gives you enough leeway as to not mess up your gorgeous icing
:chef:

fostoria-american-square-cake-salver.jpg
[photo courtesy of Julie Noyas]
I had this cake stand that was my Great Grandmother's,
Fostoria American pattern.
Unfortunately it got broken and both my Mother and I CRIED!!!
I've always wanted to replace it, but the price is
a bit too rich for me.
I've seen it in many antique shops and even online
at Replacements.com, all about the same price.

Last edited:
Separate the eggs, whip the whites to stiff peaks and fold gently into the other mixed ingredients at the very last. This should help your puddings stay puffy.

Today was bread pudding day...

I think I did it all correctly but... still drooped... but.... no matter as, the pudding is delicious and the whipped cream covers the droop...

Thank you for trying to solve my problem... :)

Today was bread pudding day...

I think I did it all correctly but... still drooped... but.... no matter as, the pudding is delicious and the whipped cream covers the droop...

Thank you for trying to solve my problem... :)

LOL! You might need to move to a higher altitude. Up here in the rare atmosphere whipping air in works like a charm. At least it tastes good.

I finally made the dulce de leche, flan, chocolate cake combo out of Craig's Tex Mex cookbook. It nearly fills the bundt pan to the top, but is in a waterbath. 2 hour cook time, cool for an hour, then into fridge for a few hours. I have a feeling the neighbors will be getting some.

Last edited:
I finally made the dulce de leche, flan, chocolate cake combo out of Craig's Tex Mex cookbook. It nearly fills the bundt pan to the top, but is in a waterbath. 2 hour cook time, cool for an hour, then into fridge for a few hours. I have a feeling the neighbors will be getting some.

Ooh! :w00t: That sounds heavenly med,
photos of the whole cake and a slice please?

I will, but it probably won't be until tomorrow. Don't think it will have enough time for the flan part to cool and set since I got a late start on it today. I took it out 20 minutes shy of the bake time because it was starting to smell like the chocolate cake was getting too baked. The cake part did rise up over the top of the pan, but none of it spilled out. It's sinking back down as it's cooling.

I had never boiled a can of sweetened condensed milk before. Boy that stuff gets thick and even richer. The cake had 2 cans (one cooked and one not) of SWC milk, plus a can of evap milk, plus regular milk, and 8 oz cream cheese, and a total of 11 eggs, 3 for the cake, 8 for the flan part. Hope it's worth it.

I will, but it probably won't be until tomorrow. Don't think it will have enough time for the flan part to cool and set since I got a late start on it today. I took it out 20 minutes shy of the bake time because it was starting to smell like the chocolate cake was getting too baked. The cake part did rise up over the top of the pan, but none of it spilled out. It's sinking back down as it's cooling.

I had never boiled a can of sweetened condensed milk before. Boy that stuff gets thick and even richer. The cake had 2 cans (one cooked and one not) of SWC milk, plus a can of evap milk, plus regular milk, and 8 oz cream cheese, and a total of 11 eggs, 3 for the cake, 8 for the flan part. Hope it's worth it.

Ahhh... a diet cake.... :LOL:

Attachments

• Cake Plate 002.jpg
    Cake Plate 002.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 121
Back
Top Bottom