What's for lunch today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, I've gotta go too. I have to do at least a few of the chores I've been putting off for so long.

Thanks to everyone who kept me company on my last day of freedom. Will provide recon report from the frontline when possible.

Grilled cheese sammich. Cable is being laid in front of our home today (finally getting into the 20th century with the rest of you) and I didn't want to get into anything too involved in case they hit our other utilities or sprinkler lines.

mudbug said:
Yep, I've gotta go too. I have to do at least a few of the chores I've been putting off for so long.

Thanks to everyone who kept me company on my last day of freedom. Will provide recon report from the frontline when possible.

I am looking forward to your report! :D

Today it was thin sliced bagette toasted and then spread with Brie, a sliced pear, coffee and a devilish dark chocolate/pecan/carmel/chocolate iced thing from Starbucks.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS = GET ARIZONA STATE :twisted:

I had a ham-n-cheese sammich out of the company vending machine... leaves little to be desired... next time I'll bring my own! :?

norgeskog said:
Today it was thin sliced bagette toasted and then spread with Brie, a sliced pear, coffee and a devilish dark chocolate/pecan/carmel/chocolate iced thing from Starbucks.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS = GET ARIZONA STATE :twisted:

norgeskog, your lunch sounded so good. All I had was a shredded BBQ beef sandwich. Bang, I love Chinese food so I am extremely jealous that you had some for lunch.

SC

I was hungry.. lol! My problem was I got up late this morning and didn't have time to throw a lunch together.. I'll MAKE TIME, tomorrow! It was a pathetic sandwich with a thin slice of ham.. processed cheese.. and a miniscule squirt of mustard!

What are the sandwiches at firecamp?

They actually are not that bad. These sack lunches are served in Forest Service wildland fire camps to the firefighters. They just get boring day after day with no variety.

1.1 Sack Lunch

Regular and vegetarian sack lunches shall be provided as ordered by the DNRC.
Vegetarian sack lunches shall at a minimum be prepared for the Lacto-ovovegetarian classification level, and shall consist of the same quantities and items as regu1ar sack lunches with the exception that no meat, fish, or poultry shall be included. Non-meat protein substitutes shall be used in vegetarian sack lunches in lieu of meat, fish, or poultry.

Sack lunches shall consist of one 1.1.1 Entrée, one selection listed in 1.1.2 Entrée 2, and all items listed in 1.1.3 through 1.1.9 at a minimum:

1.1.1 – One Pre-wrapped Meat Sandwich (or Sandwich with Non-meat Substitute for Vegetarian)

(a) The meat sandwich shall contain two 1 to 1 ½ oz. slices of bread.
(b) The meat sandwich shall contain a minimum of 3 ½ oz. sliced whole muscle meat or a combination of sliced whole muscle meat (minimum 3 oz. meat) and cheese. Each day 1/3 of the sandwiches ordered shall be made with turkey, 1/3 shall be made with ham and 1/3 shall be made with roast beef. No ground meat, such as meatloaf or ground beef patties, are allowed. Vegetarian sandwiches made with non-meat substitutes may include pre-prepared soy products
(c) Condiments shall be individual packets and not put directly on the bread
(d) The meat sandwich shall be wrapped in plastic wrap or plastic bags.

1.1.2 Variety Item

When placing order, DNRC will inform the vendor which of these alternatives is required with Entrée #1. However, the second shall contain a minimum of starch (2-3 oz) and protein (3 ½ oz) in a quantity equal to entrée.

1. All handmade second items, such as “wraps” or pocket sandwiches, shall be wrapped in plastic wrap or plastic bags (1ike the meat sandwiches in 1.1.1(d)). Examples include, but are not limited to, one of the following:

(a) two 1 to 11/2 ounce slices of 7-grain bread, 2 oz. of peanut butter, and 1-2 oz. individually wrapped packages of string cheese; or

(b) one 2-3 oz. bagel with 1-2 oz. of cream cheese and a 1 ¼ oz. package of jerky; or

(c) one 2-3 oz. croissant with 1 oz. of jelly, 1 ½ oz. of cream cheese, and a 1 ½ oz. package salted peanuts; or

(d) two 1 ½ oz- slices of specialty bread a packet of snack Carrots, 2 oz- of flavored cream cheese, and a 1 oz. package of walnuts; or

(e) 2-3 oz. pita (pocket bread), with 3 ¼ oz. of canned tuna and ¼ oz of other protein (such as peanuts or a cheese stick) for a total of 3 1/2 oz. of protein, and a packet of
celery/carrots/dill pickles; or .

(f) two 1 1/2 oz. slices of whole wheat bread and 1 oz. of peanut butter, 1 oz. of jelly, and a 2 1/2 oz. individually wrapped package string cheese; or

(g) one 7 oz. can of corned beef hash, a 1 1/2 oz. pumpernickel roll, and a 1 1/2oz. package of jerky; or

(h) one 4 oz. can of chili/barbecued beans/beanie weenies, a 1-1/2 oz. package of salted crackers, and a 1 ½ oz package of crunchy bread stick(s); or

(i) two 6 oz. pre-wrapped, unfrozen burritos or chimis.

NOTE: DNRC may approve the following; For variety on an occasional basis, one super-sized hoagie or submarine (salami or bologna may be used) having a minimum combination of meat and/or cheese weighing 7 ounces used in place of Entree 1 and 2 or two sandwiches as defined for Entree 1 may be used. (Non-meat substitutes shall replace the meat in a vegetarian hoagie or submarine.)

1.1.3 Fruit: The fruit shall be one apple (minimum size 100 count) or one sweet orange (minimum size 88 count), or other fresh fruit of comparable size. For variety 2oz. of factory wrapped dried apricots, cherries, dates, mango, pineapple, pears, banana chips, peaches, prunes, raisins or other dried fruit should be substituted for fresh fruit a minimum of once every 3 days, but not on a daily basis.

1.1.4 Pre-wrapped Cookies - A minimum of 1.65 ounces of pre-wrapped cookie(s), brownie(s), or granola (or similar) bar(s). For variety a different product should be used every other day. .

1.1.5 Fruit Juice - Two individual canned (no glass) 100% pasteurized fruit juices with "pop-top" cans (minimum total of 11 oz.) or non-crushable paper-type containers (for example: Sunglo).

1.1.6 Pre-wrapped Snack - a minimum of 2 ounces of pre-wrapped candy bar(s) or bagged candy, or 2 ounces of factory wrapped trail mix, fresh vegetables, pretzels or shelled nuts. For variety, a different product should be used every other day.

1.1.7 Condiments - Four individual packets of factory wrapped/sealed condiments appropriate for the entree's being served.

1.1.8 Paper napkin and moistened towelette. 2 each.

1.1.9 Chewing Gum or Mint - One stick chewing gum or plastic wrapped hard mint.

1.2.0 All items supplied shall be within manufacturers “expiration” or “sell by” dates.

Today I rode my bicycle to Valley River Center for an hand dipped ice cream on a stick from Emporium (Oregon chocolate company) but when I walked through the food court, other hunger pangs hit. I ended up with the MD Big and Tasty combo then had the ice cream. I may not eat for a week. I do not eat fast food very often but sometimes they are really good.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS GET ARIZONA STATE :twisted:

mudbug said:
LOL, Sierra Cook. And I thought I was getting away from specs when I left the A/E world! Perfect governmentspeak!

I took it directly off a government website. Actually, like I said the lunches are not that bad. It just depends on the quality of food the caterer uses and if the person that inspects the lunches insures that the caterer provides everything required. Usually, I get the veggie version because it seems to have more variety.

I got so busy riding up and down the bike trail on the Willamette I forgot to eat lunch. I am getting a vicarious thrill seein what all of you ate. I will make up for it at dinner tonight. I shall pig out and cheer for the Ducks and irritate my neighbors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom