Whats Your Favorite Casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're welcome!! What's nice about it is that it can be served as a side dish with meat, or, as we usually have it, as a vegetarian main dish served with a green salad.

The cookbook 365 Ways To Cook Vegetarian is a terrific little spiral-bound hardcover book that I use quite frequently. They have a large series of titles, & I also have & use 365 Ways To Cook Chicken & 365 Ways To Cook Pasta. Nothing fancy, just good, interesting easy-to-prepare stuff.

Shepherds Pie

Does anyone have a recipe for a Shepherds Pie that uses cubed beef instead of ground beef? There is a restaurant in Indy that serves one, and I can't seem to replicate it. It has a rich beef gravy with carrots and onions topped with Parmisian Cheese potatoes. Really good. :ermm:

Polish Sausage/Spinach Bake

• 1 10-oz frozen chopped spinach
  • 4 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1 lb Polish sausage, sliced or chopped
  • 5 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3/4 cups finely crushed soda crackers
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
  • 1-1/2 tsp dried minced onions
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp basil, crushed
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • Place spinach in boiling water, return to boil, break up spinach and add zucchini
  • Cover, simmer 5 minutes; drain and press out liquid
  • Brown sausage; add to spinach along with remaining ingredients except sour cream
  • Divide between 2 greased casseroles
  • Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350°
  • Uncover and spread the 1/2 cup sour cream on top
  • Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese; bake uncovered 15 minutes longer

Notes: Can be frozen but baked 1 hour, covered. Top with sour cream and parmesan and bake uncovered 5 minutes longer
Some adjustments I have made with this recipe: Used 2 pkg spinach, 1 chopped and 1 leaf, 1-1/2 lb sausage, 2 Tbsp parsley flakes, 2 Tbsp onion flakes, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp basil and 1/2 tsp pepper

Army Pam said:
Does anyone have a recipe for a Shepherds Pie that uses cubed beef instead of ground beef? There is a restaurant in Indy that serves one, and I can't seem to replicate it. It has a rich beef gravy with carrots and onions topped with Parmisian Cheese potatoes. Really good. :ermm:

Technically, a 'shepherd's pie' contains lamb (hence shepherd) - when you use beef it's called a cottage pie. :)

If we eat a beef stew with veggies and a mashed potato topping, we call it beef casserole!

It seems that 'casseroles' are different, depending on where you live..

Here's an definition of casserole from one of my old recipe books

A recipe consisting of tougher cuts of meat, poultry or game, cooked slowly in a liquid with flavourings and vegetables until tender. A casserole is cooked at a low temperature in a casserole dish with a tightly fitting lid, often simply referred to as a casserole, either in the oven or on the hob.

Last edited:
This one is really quite like the stuffed cabbage casserole above… with the added indulgence of cheese – and various things to make it hot and spicy.
Cajun Cabbage
1 pound ground beef
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chilies (use the hot variety of “RoTel” if you really want it fiery)
8 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 drops hot sauce
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
In a skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and seasonings. Spread into an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Top with the cabbage and cheese. Cover and bake at 350º for 65 to 75 minutes or until the rice is tender.

mish said:
I couldn't resist.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
img_291422_1_44c11f086dd6cfc5316151153fe5442b.gif
Good one Mish!

I've never really gotten into making casseroles. Though I love baked ziti and shepard's pie. Could chicken pot pie be considered a casserole? If it is, then I love that one too. When I was pregnant with my son, I ate chicken pot pies everyday for two months straight!

I will be trying some of the recipes posted here, thanks!

One of my favorites is the broccoli and cheese casserole. I use frozen broccoli bits, but don't cook them before so it is still a bit crunchy. It does contain soup, but I consider one can of soup in a casserole of that size isn't too much. I don't add salt to the rice or broccoli and use sharp cheddar cheese. We like it leftover for lunch with sliced tomatoes.

While I'm definitely not a fan of "can of cream" soups, processed cheese products, canned vegetables, or frozen potato items (don't like the texture or the saltiness), I do love casseroles.

One of my favorites is a simple but really tasty macaroni and cheese that is basically a white sauce with good Cheddar. I also love tamale pie, other Mexican dishes, lots of pasta casseroles, and just about anything with high-quality ingredients and lots of flavor.

Tater Tots

kimbaby said:
here ya go:
TATER TOT CASSEROLE
WHAT YOU NEED
1 1/2 lbs. cooked hamburger
2 cans cambell's cream of mushroom soup
1 can green beans drained
1 package tater tots
2cups cheddar cheese
WHAT TO DO:
combine hamburger,soup,green beans in a 13x9 inch
baking dish,layer with tater tots,top with cheddar cheese
bake in a 450 degree pre heated oven for about 30-40 minutes or until
bubbly.
Kimbaby can u please explain what tater tots are, are they the same as baby potatoes, how do u buy them. Sorry but I have never heard of them, maybe we just dont get them in Australia, or our baby potatoes are equivilent to your tater tots.
Thanks from spiritwolf.
P.S. You casserole sounds terrific by the way, I may try it this weekend.

scalloped potato casserole.

Dina said:
green bean casserole and scalloped potato casserole
:)
Can u please pass on your scalloped potato casserole, I have never heard of it and it sounds Damm good, so I would like to know how to make it, Thanks.
Your casseroles sound quite a bit different to what my mom use to make, and what I am use to. I find our too boring. I love different things to try, especially when they sound so YUMMY.
Thank-you from Spiritwolf.

SpiritWolf said:
Kimbaby can u please explain what tater tots are, are they the same as baby potatoes, how do u buy them. Sorry but I have never heard of them, maybe we just dont get them in Australia, or our baby potatoes are equivilent to your tater tots.
Thanks from spiritwolf.
P.S. You casserole sounds terrific by the way, I may try it this weekend.
Wiki to the rescue...everything you might want to know about Tater Tots.

potato casserole.

Constance said:
Zereh, the definition of casserole is cooking foods you like together in one dish. It doesn't have to involve "cream of" soups, sausage or hamburger.

My grandmother made wonderful scalloped potatoes. She started with her own homemade cream sauce (which is no big deal to make). Butter a casserole dish, and single layer thinly sliced potatoes on the bottom. Top with S&P, finely diced onions, and a scoop of cream sauce. Repeat layers until dish is within 3/4" from the top. Place on foil covered baking sheet to catch drips, cover with lid, and bake in 350 degree oven about 45 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove lid, top with cheese of your choice, turn heat up to 400, and let the dish brown until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Excellent additions to this dish are: small pieces of ham; cooked and crumbled bacon, fresh chopped parsley, pimentoes, broccoli florets, asparagus tips, frozen peas, chopped green onion tops...a good combination is chopped cooked chicken, peas, carrots, and mushrooms.

Kimbaby, I have a whole different Tator Tot Casserole, but I think you'll like it:

Tator Tot Casserole

2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup ham, choped
1 lb. tator tots, thawed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper

Topping:
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon

Mix first 7 ingredients together. Put in buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with topping. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I serve it with catsup on the side, forgive me for being so plebian.
:chef:These recipies sound very much like what I call here our "POTATO BAKE"
It is also very YUMMY.
All u need is Potatoes,peeled and sliced thinly.
Bacon,chopped.
Onion,chopped and diced.
Creme,either pouring or thickened.
Chedder Cheese, Grated. + S&P

All I do is put the thinly sliced potatoes in a greased baking dish.
Put the Bacon and Onion layered on top. (cooked of coarse)
Sprinkle with S&P
Add a bit of Grated Cheese.
Then REPEAT all of the above.
Finally finish with extra Cheese if you like.
Add a bit of Paprika (Plain or Smoked) if u like, u dont have to.
Then Bake in a 180-200 degree oven (Celcious)
Yours is Farinheit ( I think ) would be about 350-380 ( I think )
You will have to do whatever u do for a casserole,
Bake for about 40-45 minutes, keeping a check on it.(uncovered)
If cheese is melting and browning too much,put a aluminium cover on it for
the last 15 minutes or so.
Time and temperature depends on ovens.
You can also add other things that u like, this is just a plain and simple one.
Enjoy on its own or with a salad and a good steak or chicken,fish, what ever u like.
It is very YUMMY to my family.
Other people may have their own variations, if u do, please let me know,
Thanks everybody, see ya 4 now,
Spiritwolf.

Tater Tots

suzyQ3 said:
Wiki to the rescue...everything you might want to know about Tater Tots.
:chef:Thankyou suzyQ3, now I know what y'all are talking about, wiki even gave me the name that us Aussies know them as, we all just use different names for them but they are all the same food when it comes to eating and cooking. Thankyou very much everyone. Wiki is sooo good, It explains it all.:LOL:

This isn't my "favourite" (not sure I really have one) but it's tasty and not time-consuming.

Southwest Style Chicken Lasagna

2 c. shredded roasted chicken
1 Tbs. lime juice
1-1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt (My NOTE: use less salt if chili powder contains a lot or make your own chili powder blend then add salt to taste)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
16 oz. jar of salsa
15 oz. can chili with beans
4.5 oz. can chopped green chilies
9 6-inch flour tortillas
8 oz. shredded "Mexican" four cheese blend

Combine first 5 ingredients; let stand five minutes and set aside. Saute onion and garlic in oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add salsa, canned chili and green chiles; reduce heat and simmer 3-4 minutes. Line the bottom of an 11X7 baking dish with three tortillas. Layer one half of chili mixture, half chicken mixture and one third of the cheese. Repeat the layers. Top with remaining tortillas. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes; let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.

Fraidy

Last edited by a moderator:
tater tots here in America are barrell shaped small poatoes much like french fries... you can use shredded potaotoes if you do not have tater tots...
sorry it took so long to get back to this post...

Leftover chili topped with leftover mashed potatoes and a sprinkle of grated cheddar. (We make extra chili and mashed potatoes just for this dish.)

pdswife said:
We don't eat a lot of casseroles... but
we do like the stuffed cabbage casserole that we're having
for dinner.

Try this one. You might like it. No cream of soup.

CABBAGE FOR A KING
6 Cups chopped cabbage
Cooked in salted boiling water
Drain ( I saute mine)
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 tablespoons butter (divided)
3 tablespoons flour
1 can or 2 cups diced tomatoes (undrained)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 slices bread cubed
1/4 pound cheese of choice, cubed
Saute onion in 3 tablespoons butter until transparent
Blend in flour until smooth.
Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt, sugar and pepper.
Set aside.
Saute bread in 1 Tablespoon butter until lightly browned.
In a buttered casserole dish arrange in layer, half cabbage,
half tomato mixture, half croutons and cubed cheese.
End with cabbage, tomato, crouton and cheese.
Bake 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Serves 6
This recipe is a winner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom