What's your favorite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barbara L - right you are! I meant to type Steinbeck, and it came out Hemmingway. I've read the book, seen the movie and been to Monterey numerous times (great aquarium) so I don't know how I made that mistake in the first place, plus never caught it after the fact.

Fat Tire
Corona with a lime, of course!
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
MGD
Coors

But what I like the most is usually the company that comes with drinking beer. There is nothing like having a bunch of friends over to watch a game or a NASCAR race and drink some beer.

SC

I'm hearing the twilight zone theme.... When I came on the site.. I had thought of starting a topic with this subject... and lo and behold, first thing I see.. lmaooooo... weird

My fav beer is Killians Irish Red.. mmmm it's yummy!

My favorite beer is by far the Sam Seasonals that come out - Octoberfest being my favorite out of those!! :D

jaim said:
My favorite beer is by far the Sam Seasonals that come out - Octoberfest being my favorite out of those!! :D

I generally have HORRIBLE luck with the SA beers. I think it has to do with the distribution. Some of the fresh kegs are very good (like the Bos. Lager and the Octoberfest), but some of the bottles that I've gotten have been wretched (and they should have still been fresh).

As for the Octoberfests making the rounds right now, the Hofbrauhaus is now importing one, and it's pretty good, but my current favorite is probably still the Spaten, if my brewing buddy doesn't have any of his own on tap - that stuff is awesome.

John

Hey John

I used to drink a lot of Budwiser. . but I guess my tastebuds matured a little. . . once I started drinking Sam, I haven't really liked too much more. . .of course there is always that Corona and lime on a hot summer day!!!!!

Jaim

Wow I didn't even know there were that many beers available...well maybe I did...but still impressive!

The college stories take me back! I thought I was the only one!

Anyway, I like most of the Omegang brews especially the ones they make only for local festivals!
Corona with lime on a hot summer day!
Freshly poured Black and Tans..lets see that would be Guiness Stout and what is the tan?

A black and tan is generally Guiness and Harp (made from the same brewer), but the most common version in US bars seems to use Bass Ale instead. Most any british bitter would work, as lond as it's specific gravity is higher than that of the Guiness, which allows the 'black' to float on the 'tan'.

John

Thats it! The Cooperstown Restaurant does use Harp, because they have Harp on the menu. Its been sooo long since I've been out to eat or drink!

favorite beer

I am not really a beer drinker but I when I do have a beer, the absolute best is any beer by Leinenkugels made in WI.

Mackeson! Isn't that the stuff only sold in the Whitbred Pub? I've had some -- completely redefines the term "stout"!

Welcome, by the way. Heck of an entrance there!

Pity to read the entire column without a single reference to Canadian beer...

With our 5-7% alcohol content, ours tstes quite different from USA brands, even if Bud and Coors (locally known as "Girl's Light", or worse, "Queer's Light", but I digress) have been licensed over to Labatts and Molsons, the two brewing giants of the North...

The third largest makes about the best, in my own opinion, that being Sleemans Brewery of Guelph, using the local natural spring water in the process...

Most North American brews are aimed at "Joe Six Pack", who will consume any number, and whose first taste determines brand loyalty for life...and "tastes less filling" is a subconcious twist that you should drink more than just one...or two...you get the point...

Sleemans runs counter to this, their various ales and excellent lagers make you feel relatively "full"...

They make a honey brown lager and a dark beer besides...

The Sleeman family logo was "borrowed" by the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) back in the 1800's, and remains in use, amicably, by both to this day...

You can get this easily in Ontario and British Columbia, less easily in other provinces, but if any of you manage to travel to the Great White North, it'd be worth your while to give it a try!

There's only so much water in those springs, so I must doubt it will ever go broad band in marketing, and we Canucks are a little fussy on sending the "good" water south of the line, so you'll have to come up here to try it out...

On that note we also have a Vodka that is, obviously, pure grain alcohol mixed with glacial water from icebergs, which the millenia has leached the salts from (a curious thing, the Inuit have about 50 words to describe the various qualities of ice; the salt free stuff is sort of a blue colour)(and is water formed hundreds of thousands of years ago)...

ok, fair enuff lifter, but how many beaches ya gott??????????? huh? i'll take an impoted kootenay while i bask in the forida sun.....

A quick look at the map, Buckytom, will show you that we have more lakes, rivers and coastline space than any other nation on earth... the beach where we holiday (check out www.hawk-lake.com) (we have a number of family cottages there, great source for new recipes and trying them out on each other!) is pure quartz sand...but I kinda prefer the dock, a cold beer, a book, a fishing rod, a bobber and live bait, waiting for the smallmouth, Lake Trout or Northern Pike, according to season (my Dad was fishing like this and caught a 13.5 and a 14.5 lb pike ther this summer, in much this fashion)

Try THAT, if you will, on a USA beach!

LOL!

Lifter

so when are you inviting us up, lifter? i love canada, and canadians. i love fresh water fishing, and i love canadian beer. holy poopie did i find out the hard way that it has a higher alcohol content. i'm usually good for about 6 or 8 imperial pints of bass ale or guinness to get my sails set, but i pounded a few cold ones of something called black tusk ale, i don't know who was the brewer, in whistler/blackcomb once. i was demolished. could hardly ski the next day...

I think its our foreign policy that US$ are always welcome!

You might find it easier to access Bras D'Or beer from Quebec, that'll give you a pretty good kick in the head with either 6% or 6.5% alcohol content...aside from which, its pretty good beer!

If you are big on skiing, you might want to try western Newfoundland, incredibly cheap, incredible snow, and a lot closer to NJ and NY, with all sorts of truly weird and wonderful local recipes...

Lifter

You will probably now know this brand as it is made in Bend, Oregon by the Deschutes Brewing Company and it is a micro brew named Mirror Pond and it is a ale, similar to Corona but better. There is another one which I cannot find in a bottle made by a local restaurant chain simply called Ruby and it is another ale seasoned with raspberries. They also use it to make the most wonderful cheesecake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom