Why is it that in Vietnamese salads there is no oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why do you need oil? Asian salads in general are simply fresh. And that is the whole point. Different cuisine, different styles. Why exactly I cannot answer. Probably historical thing. What what was available.

I might ask: Why is it that Mediterranean salads have so much oil?

The concept of "salad" is curious to Asian cuisine in general; salads don´t exist per se. I ate a dish the other day called Com Tam Bo: broken rice, beef, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers , pickled vegetables. NOT a salad - the name of the dish comes from the broken rice.
A few years ago, 10 notable Chinese chefs were invited to the USA to eat traditional food. They were horrified at the thought of eating raw vegetables in a salad. Likewise, the American chefs invited to China were mystified at having to eat everything with chopsticks, etc.
Different countries, different customs, different strokes for different folks.

Likewise, the American chefs invited to China were mystified at having to eat everything with chopsticks, etc.
Different countries, different customs, different strokes for different folks.

Mystified?

Maybe if they were serving consomme with rice...

Seeing-t-b, I think maybe you will have to redefine your understanding and meaning of salad.

Any side dish, from any culture, that is usually served cold could be defined as a salad. Although many do have oil, certainly not all, are having oil in or on them.

Agreed, dragn. The definition of salad can be as broad as terms like pudding, or spices.

Vietnamese salads, or Gôi, can be filled with everything from fresh or sauteed veggies, to noodles, to meat, to fruit. I've had a few that had a dressing which contained a little seasame oil in it.

another thing that i wonder about
why is there so much vinegar compared to soy sauce?

what is the ratio of soy sauce and vinegar would you use yourself?

here is the recipe i've followed a couple of times (the one i'm talking about)

https://youtu.be/SdyOCnntriE

I think that's just that person's taste. You can adjust oils, vinegars and other seasonings to your personal taste.

As GG has said, that is that particular persons' preference.

You say you've followed this recipe several times. Do you like the ratio? Did you change it?

SEEING, in that particular recipe 1/4 vinegar plus 2 T, to 1 T soy sauce, is saltier with 1 t salt as well.

I would probably use the ratio as written without the salt (because we limit salt).

Preferences due to taste, or for health reasons, are different for everyone.

We don't use oil in our salad dressings. There are hundreds of 'no oil' salad dressing recipes available on the net.

Mr bliss's favorite dressing is a tomato dressing, using tomatoes, smoked paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic, vinegar and fresh onion, all put in a blender and blend. We eat salads almost daily, mostly large salads with lots of variety in them.

I prefer a honey mustard dressing, and we've enjoyed a green goddess type and strawberry dressing on occasion.

I just made a Thai style cole slaw, in which I use 4 tb lime juice, instead of vinegar, and only one tb fish sauce, which is about right. If you think about the usual vinaigrette ratio of 1 c oil/¼ c vinegar, adding ¼ c of soy or fish sauce would be way too salty!

blissful
cool ideas

pepperhead212
i need to find a good fish sauce here.
it is not an easy task..

Last edited:
I had that problem in the beginning, STB. Back in the early 90s, when I got hooked on Thai food, I must have checked 20 or more brands of fish sauce, and tossed all but a half dozen! Fortunately, back then, these were all something like $1.29 or $1.39 each! Funny thing is, the more expensive brands were what I call the "fake fish sauces", which don't need as much time aging. You can identify these because, in addition to the basic ingredients of fish, salt, and water, they will have others, usually including hydrolyzed vegetable protein. These "age" the fish with enzymes. Same with many soy sauces, that you'll see these ingredients in, and the flavor just isn't as good.

The best brands I have found are these:

Red Boat - the "40" is their cheapest, and good for most dishes, cooked or raw, uncooked. There is a more aged, sweeter, more expensive version that I don't use for much, except raw, milder flavored dips, where the flavors come through.

Tra Chang - the regular, cheaper version, was my favorite, back in the 90s. Strong enough for cooked dishes, but also good in dips, and other uncooked dishes. The Gold Tra Chang is something I only found on importfood.com, and if I had to pick a favorite, this would be it. Stronger, but balanced, and still good in raw dishes and dips. You know this is good - the only thing on the label in English is the nutritional information! The rest is in Thai!

Golden Boy - Mild brand, that I used only in some dips and uncooked foods.

Tiparos - this was ok - borderline, as far as having a "raunchy" flavor, but good in curries, and things that cook a while, because the off flavors, in these and some other brands, cook off. And the Asian markets used to give these away free sometimes!

Many of the brands that the chefs and authors touted back then, were absolutely horrible! My friend wouldn't throw them away - he would use them in a dish that would cook a while, which cooked the bad, volatile aromas off, and the dish would be ok! But his whole house would smell like it, and his wife threatened to throw him out if he used them again! :LOL:

My theory was that many of those fish sauces were much fresher, out west, where those chefs and CB authors got them. And by the time it got here, on a cargo ship, was months later, exposed to a lot of heat, and just wasn't good. And maybe you have that problem in Israel, where you are STB.

Despite what some say, fish sauce should be refrigerated, once opened - I learned early on that it goes off eventually, at room temp. So I refrigerate mine, even before I open it. Never had it get bad since.

Last edited:
I just bought some Red Boat 40 and was surprised at the price. It was 3x more expensive than the brand I usually buy, 3 Crabs.

I saw the Golden Boy on sale last week. I may have to puck up a bottle and give it a go.

Thanks for the info, pepp.

cool
i will have to ask what's available in israel (from the brands that you have mentioned.)

there is a facebook hebrew group for cooking on facebook. i will try to find a way to ask them because i don't have facebook (been blocked several times without any explanation)

there are some israeli online shops that are somewhat secret to most people and maybe they will be able to point me to one.

or maybe someone here can visit the group and ask it in english for me and for others?
this is the address
https://www.facebook.com/groups/thetaste.co.il/

Back
Top Bottom