Worms on Broccoli? Still ok to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Essie said:
Soak the fresh broccoli in cold salted water. The creatures will float to the top.

That is what we broccoli raisers do. And we don't have any problems with worms floating in our sauces.

I am not an overly squeamish person--I raise an organic garden, I kill a chicken now and then, and I pick the earworms off my corn and chow down. However, I cannot eat broccoli with worms. I never get them all, and some worm or piece of worm will find its way into my sight.

I have soaked. In salt water, and in vinegar water, and it is just not thorough enough for me. I think the little worms have little webs that keep them in place even after they die, so they don't all float to the top, not until the steaming dislodges them.

If I can't use the Dipel, no broccoli in my garden. Dipel (AKA Thuricide, Caterpillar Killer, or bT) is safe for human consumption. It shouldn't be broadcast over the whole garden, because it can harm butterfly larva, but it is not considered harmful even by the most organic of organic farmers.

There will also be no cabbage, no brussel sprouts, no kohlrabi, either, because the worms eat them to death. The worms are easier to pick off of those crops, but I really have nothing left when they get done.

Sorry Bucky. Some people are cut out for killing, plucking, deworming, etc., and some are not. Everyone has something that makes them squeamish. God bless the people who can do that, along with the nurses and doctors and vets of the world, and the sanitation workers too. I just can't do it. Maybe we owe it to ourselves to do this stuff, but it's not for me. I grow tomatoes and herbs, and I flower garden (but you don't eat the flowers).

BC

I grow all my flowers/herbs/veggies organically, including broccoli & brussel sprouts - both of which are small-insect magnets.

During the growing season I dust everything in the brassica family with "Bt", which, as others have stated, is actually a natural bacteria that the caterpillars ingest, causing them to cease eating & literally starve to death. "Bt" is pretty easy to find in garden centers, larger hardware stores, & online, & while normally comes in the form of a dust, is now available in a liquid spray as well.

When harvest time for heading brassicas like broccoli & brussel sprouts comes around, these veggies get soaked for about 30 minutes or so in a large bowl of cold water with both a handful of salt & a goodly dollop of white vinegar added. Veggies are rinsed & the process is repeated. Any "visitors" quickly vacate the premises, & the vegetables don't retain any salt or vinegar flavor.

While this may sound like a bit of work, I think the flavor & texture of home-grown broccoli & brussel sprouts is worth it. Much better than store-bought & fun to grow.

unmuzzleme said:
*shudders* Even if I know it's somewhat irrational, the thought of worms in my food grosses me out!
Then be sure you don't eat any canned creamed corn. I knew a lady that worked in a canning factory, and she said worms and all go in.

OMG, I feel myself becoming anorexic as I type.:sick:

I'm only drinking from now on....

You know my raspberries and tay berries have lil slugs on them grosses me out completly!!

Im all for friendly sprays lol cause i get sick at the thought of insects

you must be careful with the word organic as well.. did you know to be considered organic it must be chemical free for i think 5 or 10 years and not everyone can guarentee that!

As bad as it is to find a worm in your broccoli, it's much worse to find half a worm!

I couldn't resist bringing up that oldie.

Luckiily I don't have to worry much about the "organic" issue, as our property, which we bought 10 years ago, hadn't been in use for over 50 years, & even then was just used to graze cattle. Prior to that it was part of a huge plantation - in fact, good old George Washington was one of the original property surveyors. There are a number of old slave cabins still in existence on land in the immediate area, & while gardening I'm always coming across rusty old implements &/or old Indian arrowheads.

Breezy, have you ever been to the Lafayette Inn in Stanardsville?

I have friends in Madison and Wolftown.

Thanks for all your responses!

I appreciate all your information. I guess if the big green worms didn't blend right into the broccoli it wouldn't be so bad. I would still be really afraid that I would miss some, but next time I will try soaking. Thanks!

broccoli lice

that was what we nicknamed them the first time we noticed them...And we tossed out the whole case...

The worms are perfectly safe to eat. I would throw away the green stuff however.

I guess it's time for my broccoli story.

I was an avid gardener for many years, but most years I didn't have any luck with a fall garden. In our area, you've got to put out fall garden in August, and it's usually so hot and dry then that everything burns up.
But one year I had a lovely one, and after a few light frosts, the weather stayed mild through November.
I knew to keep my broccoli dusted with Dipel (BT) in the spring and summer, but I didn't think I had anything to worry about after frost.
Come Thanksgiving, I had a huge batch of beautiful, garden fresh broccoli to go with our dinner. It looked so nice, I didn't even bother to soak it in salt water.

The way our house is laid out, the living area, kitchen and dining area are all one large L-shaped room, so when we're cooking, everyone's pretty well in on it. My dad, who had a surprisingly weak stomach for such a big strong guy, was standing next to me when I put the broccoli in to boil. He was involved in a conversation with my husband and father-in-law, so I was sure he didn't notice when a couple of little worms floated to the top of the water. I scooped them out, and went about my business.
When I checked the broccoli a few minutes later, the top of the water was covered with floating worms. I scooped and scooped, and still they kept coming. I hadn't seen them before, because they were the same color as the broccoli.
Finally, I put the lid on the pot, and asked my guests if they preferred peas or green beans with the meal.
"Oh, the broccoli will be enough," my husband replied.
"Well, we can't eat the broccoli," I said.
That got my dad's attention, and he lifted the lid on the pot of broccoli and saw a jillion little green worms floating on top of the water.
His face turned as green as what was in the pot, and I thought we were gonna lose him for a minute, but then he started laughing, and said, "GREEN BEANS!"

Last edited:
LOL Constance :sick:

I spose I am lucky that my broccoli bolted as did my cauliflower.

But I still have some red cabbage that looks good but does have some holes in the outer leaves. WHERE DO THESE WORMS LIVE? Inside the cabbage ball or outside on the stalk and leaves? WHERE DO I LOOK? ANd can I use that dust you were discussing?

Worms totally freak me out....

Back
Top Bottom