Your assistance and expertise is appreciated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDog

Head Chef
Here's the scoop. Monday, 20FEB06 I got nasty sick. Thought t'was food poisioning, and it may have been, but that wasn't all. Stayed home sick both Mon & Tues. Couldn't keep anything in/down. Still don't feel a whole lot better, but I don't have sick or vaca time avilable (long story). At least stuff is staying down, but not necessarily in (I'm trying to phrase things cleanly).

Anyways, I'm getting a bit frustrated with the inability to eat much more then water, ginger ale, crackers, and toast. Oh, and Jello too. Eggs & Chicken Noodle Soup (CNS) don't appeal because t'was a chicken product I think that set the whole thing in motion.

Now, to follow the ol' saying of when it rains, it pours, Mrs. Big Dog went home from work with the same dang thing; nothing staying in or down.

So, the question is what is bland and simple outside of the aforementioned products. One can tolerate consistent meals of those few ingredients only so long, and I have for sure passed that point. Time is of the essence in preparation, since standing is not one of the most comfortable positions (at least for me) under the current circumstances. I'm the healthier of us now, so I get to play doctor for both of us. Healthier is a relative term, though.

I know the TNT Campbells CNS is high on a list. I was wondering about teas? I'm tired of drinking water and (fake) ginger ale (meaning Schwepps or Canada Dry). I have some Jasmine Green Tea at work, and regular Lipton's at home. I have to stop by the grocer en route home for lunch to get a couple things for DW, so I figured if anyone has some other suggestions, t'would be appreciated!

my Dr ALWATS SUGGEST THE BRAT DIET B=BEEF BROTH R=RICE A=APPLESAUCE T=TOAST W/O BUTTER...HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON!!!! :)

I was going to say the BRAT diet too... but we say... bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast. Stay away from milk products!! Feel better soon!

Plain rice, with nothing on it. Do not rince before or after, should be nearly sushi rice like concistency(?). It will help to keep thing down, sorry man, hope you feel better.

BRAT is the way to go. Bananas will um...firm things up a bit, (as will strawberries but they might be too acidic on the tummy) and rice is bland enough to tolerate well.

I always make sure we have popsicles or freezies around for the kids to suck on so they get SOME fluids. If nothing else appeals often a freezie will hit the spot. Pedialyte makes freezies now.

Try Gatorade or PowerAde to balance your electrolytes a bit. That will speed recovery.

dehydraton is the biggest initial concern, so make sure you are trying to drink as much as you can get down. your idea of teas is a good one.
also, i agree about b.r.a.t., along with yogurt if you can handle a little dairy, to try to reestablish good digestion.

plain pasta was always something my mom would give us. I forget the actual name because we called it stars, but I think it might be called pastina.

Poor Bigdog and your mrs!! I am no expert on a remedy (though I have suffered similar condition several times, horribly violent but always went away after a few hours) but I think some extra dose of sugar will actually do you good... your body is exhausted, it could use a quick lift up...
I hope both of you will feel better soon!!

Agree with Alix and buckytom, you need fluids, electolytes, and probably sugar, unless you cannot have it for a medical condition.

About six months ago, upon coming back from a vacation, developed, well, a very nasty similar condition.

Spent about a day and a half unable to intake nothing.

When things calmed down a bit found a can of tomato soup.

Nothing ever tasted so good.

Then, slowly, took whatever I could find that seemed like a good idea and slowly ate it. Could not go out to buy anything.

I did fine.

But if anyone has this, and is incapacitated for more than a day and a half or so, go to the emergency room. For children and seniors, do not wait that long.

They can replace your fluids with an IV and save a life.

I think my Dr. SAYs beef instead of banana for protein,and rice will do the same for the firming,instead of the banana,,,

How about grits with salt and pepper? I like powdered boullion in a cup of hot water and low salt crackers. A plain baked potato might be good.
I always keep Power Aide on hand. It has the best mix of minerals. Candied ginger is also good for your stomach. I know how you feel.

Big Dog the key is to keep hydrated while supplying your body with the needed nutrients... please you and mrs big dog,do feel better soon :)

Alix said:
Yep. You aren't taking in many calories so your body will use them. Don't worry about the sugar unless you are diabetic.

Ditto on Alix's suggestion. Drink at least 16 oz. a day of Gatorade or Powerade for the electrolytes. This will also aid in preventing dehydration.

When I was seriously dehidrated once (heat stroke) the nurse made me drink lots of gatorade with a ton of salt in it. The salt helped me retain the fluid. It tasted disgusting, but it helped as far as I know.

oh gb... that reminds me of mymother... she always made us drink a glass of salt water after a hot day of playing out side.... YUCK!!!!!

I fixed a friend one time some cream of mushroom soup with rice and pureed it. That's one option.

And keep those fluids going in - my son's girlfriend was just admitted to the hospital with, besides a VERY bad kidney infection she was severely dehydrated - she took 5 bags of fluid! That's a lot for a tiny little girl. And as Alix said - don't worry about the sugar.

I really hope you and Mrs. Dog feel better soon. It's not fun being sick. Also a dose of - gosh, I can't remember the name of it now - you can get it over-the-counter - can stop such "bodily functions" :cool:

Doesn't sound like food poisening that's for sure. Feel better soon!!!!

Back
Top Bottom