Your Best Burger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a recipe for the juciest burgers I've ever eaten! They are wonderful! I found this recipe watching 'The Barefoot Contessa', to whom taste seems to be foremost. The egg yolks are what makes them so moist.

Perfect Burgers

1 lb Ground Chuck
1/2 lb Ground Sirloin
2 tbsp Lite Soy Sauce or Steak Sauce (each gives a different taste)
2 or 3 egg yolks*
Salt & pepper
Thin pat of real butter for each patty

*Note: egg yolks to meat ratio is about 2 yolks to each 1 lb of meat. Save the whites to use in scrambled eggs, meatloaf, etc.

Carefully mix the meats, soy/steak sauce, egg yolks, salt, and pepper with the tines of a fork, but do not mash it. Lightly form each hamburger and lightly press into a patty shape. Make an indentation and put a thin slice of butter inside each hamburger, making sure the butter is entirely encased in the meat.

Heat a grill, broiler, or saute pan and cook the hamburgers for 3 to 5 minutes on each side until almost done. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Allow the hamburgers to rest for 5 minutes and serve immediately.

I'm with the crowd that likes that "meat" taste, though I do enjoy the occasional burger with different sorts of fixins. One of my favorites, is a burger with cheese, a few onions rings, bacon, and a thick BBQ sauce.

My all time favorite comes from the Steak house I used to work at, and oddly enough, it was the burger from the Kid's menu, LOL. For a kid, it's a pretty sizeable burger, I'd guess about 1/3 lb. and for only $5! But I would add a few extras myself, the sauteed mushrooms and onions for the steaks... and about 1/4 cup of their garlic butter. Mouth-watering garlic-butter-dripping-from-your-face goodness!

Add a little worcestershire sauauce (mix into the meat before making into patties) it makes the world a difference and add any seasoning you like.:chef:

Lugaru, I can understand your feelings on mesquite!!! I don't know how many times working on one ranch or another I had to dig out those thorns!!!!!!! As you said though, "That taste!!"" Makes it all worth it in the end, to me.

i keep it simple:
worcestershire, garlic powder, finely ground black pepper, seasalt, and lately, onion powder and ground sage mixed gently with the meat, then broiled (grilled if Dad has the grill fired up) topped w/ bleu cheese or havarti. i like them on toasted rolls with lettuce and tomato.

college_cook said:
... and about 1/4 cup of their garlic butter.
Wow! I never would have thought of putting that on a burger! I bet it has that same "tastebuds are going crazy" feeling as artichoke dipped in melted butter.

ajrubyo said:
Here is a recipe for the juciest burgers I've ever eaten! They are wonderful! I found this recipe watching 'The Barefoot Contessa', to whom taste seems to be foremost. The egg yolks are what makes them so moist.

Perfect Burgers

1 lb Ground Chuck
1/2 lb Ground Sirloin
2 tbsp Lite Soy Sauce or Steak Sauce (each gives a different taste)
2 or 3 egg yolks*
Salt & pepper
Thin pat of real butter for each patty

*Note: egg yolks to meat ratio is about 2 yolks to each 1 lb of meat. Save the whites to use in scrambled eggs, meatloaf, etc.

Carefully mix the meats, soy/steak sauce, egg yolks, salt, and pepper with the tines of a fork, but do not mash it. Lightly form each hamburger and lightly press into a patty shape. Make an indentation and put a thin slice of butter inside each hamburger, making sure the butter is entirely encased in the meat.

Heat a grill, broiler, or saute pan and cook the hamburgers for 3 to 5 minutes on each side until almost done. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Allow the hamburgers to rest for 5 minutes and serve immediately.

We LOVE those barefoot contessa burgers, they're the only way we make them now!!!

Throw some raw or fried onions on it with some tomatoes or lettuce as well.

I've cooked burgers this way for as long as I can remember. Always get great reviews on them.

1 lb. good quality lean ground meat
2 TBS olive oil (sometimes more)
kosher salt - probably 1/2 tsp.
couple cloves garlic
3 TBS Worcestershire (sometimes more)
2 TBS horseradish (sometimes more)

Make a paste (sort of - a tad more liquid than a paste) out of the garlic, olive oil, and kosher salt. Use maybe 1 TBS of the olive oil then pour the other tablespoon in separately. I use the side of my knife to grind everything together.

Mix in the paste, rest of olive oil and everything else. At this point I will smell the mixture - if I think it needs more of anything else I will add it.

Make no more than 3 patties out of a pound - we like ours big. Gently form them, lay them on a plate and make an indention in the middle with your thumb almost all the way through. This will prevent them from shrinking.

We also like our burgers rare but cook them however you like yours. I like to sear mine on a really high heat then close the lid for a few minutes. Toast the buns on grill. Top with lettuce, tomato, and provoline cheese, and any other condiments you like.

PEPPERONI PIZZA - cover w pepperoni mozzarella & pizza sauce.
GREEK - top w herbed Feta, black olives & onions.
CAESAR - Caesar dressing, romaine & avacado
BROCCO - Blend of melted cheddar & cooked broccoli
GYRO - White onions, tomato, yogurt cucumber dressing
BLUE MOON - Bleu cheese, sauteed mushrooms, lettuce tomato on onion
bun.
BISTRO - carmelized onions, Brie, bacon on walnut bun.
BAO-WOW - Chili seasoned beeef w soy-ginger mayo & slaw on the side.
CHICAGO - Sweet relish, onion, ketchup, mustard, hot peppers
FRENCH BISTRO - Top w walnuts, Gruyere, garlic mustard mayo on
French roll.
STICKY BURGER - Spread w peanut butter, bacon & Jack cheese
OLIVE FESTIVAL - Stuff w mozzarella, pizza sauce cover w sliced
black & green olives.
SHRIMPY BURGER - mini grilled burger decorated w cream cheese,
cocktail sauce, chopped shrimp
ROWDY REUBEN - Smother w melted Swiss, thousand island dressing &
coleslaw on marble rye
EARTH & TURF - top w porcini mushrooms, grilled zucchini, sweet red
bell pepper
THAI-COBB - Avacado, tomato, sprouts, peanut dressing
HORSERADISH GARLIC - onions, garlic, horseradish
TRATTORIA - roasted red bell peppers, pesto, mayo, mozzarella on
Focaccia.
CORDON BLEU - sliced ham, swiss & dijon
BIG ISLAND - stuff w mozzarella, top w canadian bacon & pineapple
SANTA FE - brush w chili puree, bean dip, guacomole, sour cream
TEX-MEX - pile w guacomole, onion, bacon
GINGER ISLAND - Mix uncooked beef w soy sauce, ginger, cilantro,
sesame oil & grill.
GARDEN - beef mixed w onions, beets & potatoes, topped w dilled sour
cream
WEST INDIES - beef mixed w cilantro, garlic, lime juice & curry
powder, cumin, allspice & hot sauce. Grill, accent w mango chutney.
PESTO - Cooked spinach, mozzarella & pesta sauce on top of patty
APHRODISIAC - Grillled patty, lovingly stuffed w oysters, dressed w
steak sauce
CALIFORNIA - Top w chopped walnuts, garlic, black pepper mixed into
beef & grilled. Top w guacomole, lettuce, brick cheese & red onion.

GeeBee, some of these might be repeats. I looked & looked on the web for a list called 101 irresistable burgers, but couldn't find it. There were some amazing recipes on the Sutter's (Zinfendel sp?) site. Most of them are gone, but there are a few winners' recipes under Build a Better Burger.

arrow.gif
[font=verdana,sans-serif][size=-1]Bruchetta Burger: Complement your burger with thickly sliced fresh tomatoes, chopped fresh basil and thick slices of mozzarella on toasted garlic French bread.[/size][/font]

arrow.gif
[font=verdana,sans-serif][size=-1]California Burger: Hamburger patty topped with grilled onions, sliced avocado and alfalfa sprouts served on walnut bread.[/size][/font]

arrow.gif
[font=verdana,sans-serif][size=-1]Chipotle Burger: Mix 2 Tbsp. canned chipotle peppers mashed with a fork into a puree with 1/2 cup mayonnaise. Spread on toasted buns and top with burger patty and cheddar cheese.[/size][/font]

arrow.gif
[font=verdana,sans-serif][size=-1]Green Chile Olé Burger: Spread a toasted onion roll with ranch style dressing, top with a burger patty, grilled onions, canned chopped green chilies, and pepper jack cheese.[/size][/font]

arrow.gif
[font=verdana,sans-serif][size=-1]Pepperoni Pizza Burger: Add sliced pepperoni, Mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce to a hamburger patty. Serve on a toasted French roll.
[/size][/font]
arrow.gif
[font=verdana,sans-serif][size=-1]Rueben Burger: Place burger patty along with sauerkraut and Swiss cheese on marble rye bread that has been spread with Thousand Island dressing. Butter outside of sandwich and grill in a skillet until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.[/size][/font]

arrow.gif
[font=verdana,sans-serif][size=-1]Tex-Mex Bean Burger: Spread toasted bun with refried beans. Add a layer of crushed corn tortilla chips. Top with hamburger patty, a slice of cheddar cheese and salsa.[/size][/font]

arrow.gif
[font=verdana,sans-serif][size=-1]Worcestershire Burger: Saute sliced mushrooms and sweet onions in Worcestershire sauce. Serve the burger open faced with the mushroom and onion mixture piled high.[/size][/font]

kitchenelf said:
I've cooked burgers this way for as long as I can remember. Always get great reviews on them.

1 lb. good quality lean ground meat
2 TBS olive oil (sometimes more)
kosher salt - probably 1/2 tsp.
couple cloves garlic
3 TBS Worcestershire (sometimes more)
2 TBS horseradish (sometimes more)

elfie, this is pretty much my mom's recipe for irish hamburgers (aka mini-meatloafs), taught to her by my paternal grandma. she would carefully turn in chunks of soft bread also, being careful not to compact the bread too much. the bread absorbs some of the fat and tastes great in it.

I really enjoy making by own burgers, but there is still something about a Braum's burger that I love!! Every time I go home, to Oklahoma, I have to have one.

However, when I do make my own burgers I keep mine very simple. Just a small touch of worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. I saw Paula Deen one time add a touch of water which I thought was interesting. I top mine with only cheese and mayo.

Oh, Buckytom, I saw a clip about that flau grais burger on the local news the other day. They said that it went for $100, but maybe that included the special Sam Adams beer as well. The burger had the flau grais in the center and then alond the rest of the center of the patty was the ground truffles. The special Sam Adams beer is suppose to be rediculously expensive and is aged like liquor would be, 12 yrs I think. I believe it wa 50 proof or something like that.

umm, abj, i hope you were watching wcbs-ny, channel 2... lol. :)

wow! a c note for a burger and a multi-bock beer. i think i'll stick to big jim's on broadway (76th street). they have great burgers. lamb, buffalo, ostrich, and the famous sumo burger (over 1 lb of meat). if you are ever in the neighborhood, around lincoln center or the beacon theater, give it a shot.

I'm usually not in that area, but I would love to try a buffalo burger. My dad use to eat them all the time, but I didn't want to when I was youger.

I don't remember what channel it was, but I do remember thinking that the anchor lady got a great deal for that story. She got the meal for free, on the company.:glare:

My hubby makes a great burger. Ground beef, onion soup mix, garlic, pepper, diced onion, raw egg. Make a patty and grill. You can have just about anything on top you like. the traditional lettuce, tomato, etc. My favorite toppings are onion rings and bbq sauce.

Talk about fantastic!

kitchenelf said:
lol bucky - my burger is your mom's meatloaf and MrsDove's burger was my mom's meatloaf. :chef:

that's exactly what I said the first time hubby made it but it sure tastes a heck of a lot better than my mom's meatloaf!:LOL:

mm these burgers sound good. . im gonna have to try a few of these. . When i was in youth group a few years ago my youth leader made up this burger called "the dune burger" it was a hamburger with chedder cheese and chipolte seasoning (only a little) and while he was grilling them he added BBQ sauce, Worch sauce abd hot sauce on top and then a slice of prove cheese. when he put it on the bun he added the french fried onion rings and a slice of bacon. the ingredients on here dont sound like they go but. . . OOMG this hamburger was awesome lol

Last edited:
Sometimes I like just a plain burger with Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, and a little ketchup on the buns, then topped with American cheese, dill slices, onions, tomatoes, and lettuce.

I LOVE guacamole burgers.

I had a great burger at a little place in Riverside, California that had green olives cooked in the burger patty.

If I am cooking them on the stove, sometimes I add a little Worcestershire sauce, or I will sprinkle a little liquid smoke on them as they cook.

Once in awhile I will put an onion slice or a piece of cheese in the middle of the patty before cooking, just for something different.

:) Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom