World's Best Pancakes, with Buckwheat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Hear it is, the modified recipe. This in response to a request from another thread. And may I sugest using buckwheat honey on these? I don't know why, but the flavor of that honey is perfect for pancakes. For me, it is equal to real Maple Syrup for pancakes.

Dry Ingredients:
2/3 cup AP Flour
1/3 cup Buckwheat Flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. double-acting Baking Powder
2 tbs. Spenda or Sugar

Wet Ingredients:
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
3 tbs. cooking oil

Preheat and lightly oil the griddle to about 360'.
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together. Add the wet ingredients and whisk just until mixed. There should be small lumps in the batter. They will dissapear when the pancakes are cooked.

Spoon enough batter onto the griddle to form a 6 inch circle. Place as many pancakes on as you can safely flip whithout plopping them on top of each other. Cook until bubbles for on top and the edges firm a bit. Flip and cook for about thirty seconds more. REmove and serve imediately if at all possible. They can be place in warming pans and placed in a 200' oven, but they aren't as good as absolutely fresh from the griddle.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I requested the recipe and it looks terrific, but another question, where do I get buckwheat honey? I've never heard of that. Do I special order it?

I found it at a store called Rolm's, a supermarket in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. I have found many different varieties at our local Glen's Market, owned by Spartan Foods of Michigan.

Not surpirisingly, honey derived from different plants each have their own unique flavor. I currently have both clover and trefoil honey, both made from local beekeepers. They are very similar in flavor, but you can taste a difference.

The recipe sounds great. My dad has always had a hive of bees, and I like any honey on pancakes better than syrup.

Buckwheat and Whole Wheat are two different plants. And yes, you can substitue whole sheat in this recipe. In fact, you can use only whole wheat, or combine it half whole wheat, half all purpose flour.

Of course, the texture will change depending on how coarse the whole wheat is ground.

Back
Top Bottom