Gretchen's Carolina pulled pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want a really good sweet 'n hot mustard that can have honey added, try this.
1C vinegar
1 container dry mustard (I use the cheap stuff they sell for a dollar)
Combine and let sit over night if you have time.
Beat 2 eggs with 3/4C sugar. Add to mustard-vinegar mixture and cook in a double boiler, stirring occasionally, for 30-45 minutes.
Mix a portion with honey for honey mustard.

Well, I didn't do this 2 weeks ago as planned, so tomorrow into the smoker it goes. I just rolled the butt in dark-brown sugar and a bunch of coarse ground tellicherry pepper corns and put it in the ice box in a 2 gal Ziploc baggie.

If any one gets this before about 8 am on the left coast Pacific time, I am debating whether to just smoke it all day at 200 or so. My
questionis that likely too much smoke? If I don't get an answer in time, I'll follow Gretchen's recipe to the letter of 4+4 cause I'd hate to ruin a good piece of meat.

Also, any opinions regarding flavor with bone in or removed?

Oh lord let me last 'til supper
tomorrow .

Last edited:
You can do what you want. But in my opinion, constant smoking is not good. But keeping it in a "smoker" with the temp low is exactly what the pro BBQers in NC do. Cooking with a wood/charcoal fire in the sidebox. We don't put wood chips/chunks on all the time to keep the smoke going.
REmember, since you are taking it out of refrigeration, it is not going to get to temperature for a while either.
The temp needs to be nearer 225-250*, especially for outdoors. Those thermometers and cooking areas aren't all that exact.
BUT the real deal is, cook it low and slow for at least 8 hours and you will be good to go--PROMISE.
IT's the temperature and time that is THE most important thing in this. You really don't want a whole lot of smoke--a little is good. Even none is OK--our son's preference. That is how good this meat is.

Gretchen, thank you. I won't try to improvise, I will follow instructions. Somehow, I know that will yield the best. Then of course, I must go visit my sister in SC so I can take pix off the Blue ridge parkway and eat wonderful BBQ.

Who could ask for more. Except, why don't we have a by region forum for eating in and rating or maybe the word is praise/ criticizing restaurants....

You don't say where you are but I'll bet what ever region you are in you do know where to eat, your house is excluded, by courtesy, by the way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom