Pork Spare Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have any experience with smokers, but I do know that the reason ribs are usually braised or slow cooked in a moist environment is because they expel liquid as the connective tissue breaks down, and then reabsorb it after it breaks down and softens up even further. It seems to me that with this method, the drippings would leave and have no chance to reabsorb, making them dry. Obviously since you do this regularly this is not the case?

Skittle68, definitely NOT the case. Ribs done low and slow in this manner are fall off the bone tender and completely delicious. I did mine with a dry rub and then slow roasted for about 3 hours. I left one piece as is for one daughter and then brushed the rest with BBQ sauce and put them back in for a bit to carmelize. Rave reviews all around! I think my rub recipe is on here somewhere and its our favorite. I make a ton of it and then it goes a long way.

Alix said:
Skittle68, definitely NOT the case. Ribs done low and slow in this manner are fall off the bone tender and completely delicious. I did mine with a dry rub and then slow roasted for about 3 hours. I left one piece as is for one daughter and then brushed the rest with BBQ sauce and put them back in for a bit to carmelize. Rave reviews all around! I think my rub recipe is on here somewhere and its our favorite. I make a ton of it and then it goes a long way.

Hmm, any I will have to try to track it down and give it a shot- definitely want to try the method, at least, if not your rub recipe

Ha ha looked at how many posts you have- it would be like finding a needle in a haystack ;)

Last edited:
LMAO! You can limit your search to particular forums if you like. I'm going to see if I can find it and I'll post it for you.

I have an aunt that does catering, and she does the foil method. She uses a rub, and puts icecubes in with the meat. She swears by this method. I tried it, and they did turn out good. I need to try making my next rack the way you did. You really made me hungry for ribs. Yum! I am so glad that it turned out so well for you!:king:

Another quick thing some do is remove the membrane on the bone side. It's just a thin membrane that can be a PIA to take off, but will allow better rub penetration and a better mouth feel, imo.

You can do a "partial" foil. The 3-2-1 method. 3 on the rack, 2 in foil, 1 back on the rack. I have a hard time do'n it this way. I like Bob's way much better. But I have gone about 3-3.5hrs, look for about a 1/4" pull back on the bone, then in the foil meat down for 1/2hr - 45min, then back on the rack bone down to finish. Mine are never finished the same time twice in a row. Ya just kinda know when they are done, hold up w/tongs and look at the "bend" and if the meat starts to "break".

Another quick thing some do is remove the membrane on the bone side. It's just a thin membrane that can be a PIA to take off, but will allow better rub penetration and a better mouth feel, imo.
Al, you more than likely already know this, but there's a trick for removing that membrane on the bone. About an inch from the end of the membrane, slide your sharp knife under it and slice backward so you release some of it to get a hand hold on it. With the use of a paper towel you can grab the membrane and rip the whole thing off in one sheet. The paper towel make a world of difference for griping it.

Al, you more than likely already know this, but there's a trick for removing that membrane on the bone. About an inch from the end of the membrane, slide your sharp knife under it and slice backward so you release some of it to get a hand hold on it. With the use of a paper towel you can grab the membrane and rip the whole thing off in one sheet. The paper towel make a world of difference for griping it.

Yep, I actually like use'n an old therm that doesn't work to slide on top of the bone/kinda to the side. What sucks is when the membrane is tore in the middle due to a knife or broken rib bone.

I've got 2 racks in the fridge for this weekend, try'n to decide on trim or no trim......the racks anyway.;):LOL: I feel lazy and would like to just do the whole thing, but I know the kids like the looks of a st. louis cut.

I used to use a paper towel, but now I just twist it around my finger once the shorter side breaks free.
I've got a rack in the fridge now for tomorrow night. St Louis cut.

Back
Top Bottom