"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 10-03-2005, 07:35 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker2007
A couple of friends and i have had a booth in our local craft fair for the last couple years and things that went very well were rice krispy treats, puppy chow, popcornballs, brownies, of course cookies
I lvoe puppy chow!! I can't keep it in the house with my youngest. I have to make him a batch alone
It's good that he's such a little guy or he would be in trouble with that much junk. What's funny is that he doesn't even like peanut butter

Old 10-03-2005, 09:17 PM   #12
Head Chef

How about things you can make in 13 X 9 inch pans so you make a couple of batches at a time and cut them into whatever sizes you want?

Congo bars are a favorite from my childhood. Gooey Cakes couldn't be easier, and you can make vanilla, chocolate, pumpkin, etc.

Symphony Brownies are special!

Get 2 packages of brownie mix (Ghiradelli is wonderful) and 3 large Symphony candy bars (I use the Heathbar ones). Mix up both batches of brownie mix. Spread the first batch in a greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Lay in the three candy bars - they will just fit. Spread the second batch of brownie batter over the candy bars. Bake at 350 for about an hour. The trick is knowing when to cut these - they have to be cooled enough for the candy bars not too ooze all over, but not cold enough so that the candy bars are hard as rocks.

These simple but decadent brownies are the best I've ever had, and have even done well when entered in dessert competitions.

Lee

Old 10-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Try the 'Gooey Butter cakes' - the name alone will sell them!

Gooey Butter Cakes
Old 10-04-2005, 02:43 PM   #14
Hospitality Queen

I've always found that "dippers" are great sellers!
Option 1: Take big pretzel rods and dip the top half in white chocolate. Before the choc dries, roll in multicolored sprinkles.
Option 2: Spear 2-3 large marshmallows on either a lollipop stick or a pretzel rod. Dip marshmallows and a bit of the stick in white or reg. chocolate and again, roll in sprinkles or chocolate jimmies.

With both, here's how you display:
(available at candy making stores and craft stores) Use small clear plastic bags (the kind that look like cellophane - available at candy making stores and craft stores) and tie them at the base of the food product with curling ribbon.

Display them in a vase or coffee can (which has been painted/wrapped in paper), so they're standing up like flowers in a vase. It takes up a small amount of table space.
We've usually sold them from $1 to $1.50 per stick.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #15
Master Chef

How about loaves of zucchini bread (or banana nut, pumpkin, etc)? Pies? Fudge, peanut brittle, and other candies are always good. Also homemade breads of all sorts sell well. (Dill bread? Olive bread?) And how about some carmel apples?

Love bake sales!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:33 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
If you can get the ingredients at a decent price (say at Cosco or the like) chocolate dipped/covered pretzels are popular. Place the dried finished product in bags of say 100 or 200 grams, then wrap them up in coloured cellophane or candy bags and tie/garnish with ribbons, fabric scraps, etc.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:40 PM   #17
Master Chef

You know, I just realized the date of this thread was 4/2004 DOH! I don't pay attention when I look at them Oh well, if anyone else is looking for this stuff, it'll be good to have opened again. This is time for bake sales anyway!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:51 PM   #18
Hospitality Queen

You're right Texas! Well, we all could use great ideas right about now!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Rice Krispie Treats go well around here, especially if packed in single serving sizes. Kids recognize them and parents will often buy for the kids to keep them busy for a minute so they can look. For our church yard sale bake sale table I make 2 batches of the Preline Pecan recipe on the Quaker Oat Squares box. It always sells out early.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #20
Head Chef

Revisiting this thread...

Our little town is having its big craft fair next week. The local women's club sponsors a bake sale booth - and I've been asked to contribute something. Any new and exciting ideas? tia.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None