Substuting Butter, Shortening, Margaine etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicilian

Assistant Cook
Well, for Easter, i'm going to have some family over, and one of the girl's is a very healthy eater. So i'll make her a seperate dessert dish, now I just bought some ground flax seed meal, and it says you can substitute butter etc, for flaxseed in cooking, for a ratio of 3-1. 1/2 butter = 1 1/2 flaxseed.

Have any of you tried this? I dont want to waste it, if it won't turn out good, i'll still add the sugar etc, just not the butter for her. Your thoughts?

What type of dessert product are you thinking about making with flax seed meal? Baked goods are supposed to be a bit tricky. I have cooked with the meal, but not so much with baked goods. I was more prone to add it to granola.

How much butter is in the dessert? Actually, I am more familiar with substituting apple sauce for butter in some desserts. I think it is a bit risky trying to bake with flax seed if you are not familiar with its cooking properties.

I agree with you Bethzaring, I use applesauce or banana to sub for butter in baked goods. I also use cream cheese if the fat isn't a large issue. It gives a very creamy taste and texture to most foods and is less fat than any of the mentioned fats.

Back
Top Bottom