2017 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, kgirl...sounds wonderful! Please keep us posted and attach pics along the way!

------------------
Tyler has been wanting to bake cookies with me. He gets out of school at noon every other Friday, so today was the day. It had to be an easy recipe since we had other things going on. I had a package of Nestle's SemiSweet chocolate chips, so Toll House cookies it was, from the back of the package. I haven't made them in a long time and forgot how good they are. :yum: I kept a few for me, and packaged up the rest to send home home with him. :D

Last edited:
Heh, thanks, mahalo, Cheryl! I made the Morning Glory Jumbo Muffins today, using Martha Stewart's recipe and had a little bit of batter leftover, so I made mini-cupcake sized muffins to taste test, not bad, but I think that regular (the most popular recipes) would have been better, though these are more "health-ful" ;)
I think tomorrow I'll make the Ginger Bread, love love love! I forget, did I mention it's my Great Grandmother's recipe that I use?

My one dilemma is how to package up the frosted cupcakes. I saw this genius idea on Pinterest...

cupcake holders.jpg

... but I'm having difficulty finding these type of plastic cups!

Would anyone else have another idea?

Last edited:
Heh, thanks, mahalo, Cheryl! I made the Morning Glory Jumbo Muffins today, using Martha Stewart's recipe and had a little bit of batter leftover, so I made mini-cupcake sized muffins to taste test, not bad, but I think that regular (the most popular recipes) would have been better, though these are more "health-ful" ;)
I think tomorrow I'll make the Ginger Bread, love love love! I forget, did I mention it's my Great Grandmother's recipe that I use?

My one dilemma is how to package up the frosted cupcakes. I saw this genius idea on Pinterest...

View attachment 28318

... but I'm having difficulty finding these type of plastic cups!

Would anyone else have another idea?

They look like plastic “high ball” glasses. Try a liquor store? Hope this helps.

Last edited:
We have one Party Supply store here in the middle of the desert aka Cowboyville and that is a great idea guys to check them out. I haven't been to the dollar stores yet... my other thought was to use one of those Chinet Crystal Clear (hard plastic) single cups and use a large piece of plastic wrap to seal it up with a cute ribbon and maybe even a disposable fork for immediate satisfaction ;)

My other question for the group is:
Am I making too much do you think?

My earlier post listed what I planned on making:
My Rum Cakes (made already)
Magic Bars
My Tricked Out Brownies
My Salted Caramel Brownies
My Chewy Caramel Cuts (made already)
Morning Glory Muffins (made already)
My Old Fashion GingerBread
2 different flavored "Cookies In A Jar" Mix (I included Gluten Free)(made already)
Chai Tea Mix In A Jar (made already)
Several different Infused Salts & Spice Mixes (made already)

I was seriously thinking of dropping the Salted Caramel Brownie---two Brownies may not sell as opposed to just three different bar cookies.

Thoughts anyone?

My other question for the group is:
Am I making too much do you think?

My earlier post listed what I planned on making:
My Rum Cakes (made already)
Magic Bars
My Tricked Out Brownies
My Salted Caramel Brownies
My Chewy Caramel Cuts (made already)
Morning Glory Muffins (made already)
My Old Fashion GingerBread
2 different flavored "Cookies In A Jar" Mix (I included Gluten Free)(made already)
Chai Tea Mix In A Jar (made already)
Several different Infused Salts & Spice Mixes (made already)

I was seriously thinking of dropping the Salted Caramel Brownie---two Brownies may not sell as opposed to just three different bar cookies.

Thoughts anyone?

That's at least 10 different items. Since this is your first time making baked goods for this group, I think I'd cut back a little and see what others do.

Do you have an idea of how many people patronize this event?

That's at least 10 different items. Since this is your first time making baked goods for this group, I think I'd cut back a little and see what others do.

Do you have an idea of how many people patronize this event?

That's the direction I was thinking GG.
I have no idea as to how many folks attend nor do I know how many other vendors there will be. This is all being coordinated by our HOA. I do know that they only allow so many folks selling say cakes or cookies or what not and I was "approved to participate" and assigned a table at no cost to me. Outside 'vendors' are welcome too.

DH likes to have an afternoon cup of coffee and a cookie on the porch lately. I made mostly oatmeal-raisin during the summer and fall, but I felt like branching out.

I have some Penzeys cocoa powder, so today I tweaked a recipe for double chocolate cookies by replacing the chocolate chips with peanut butter chips and adding a teaspoon of instant espresso powder. Yum. 1202171602.jpg

I just made a loaf of “pizza” bread, with pepperoni, a seven cheese blend, pepper, olive oil, oregano, and dried onion flakes. Sadly, I made it for a friend, so I wasn’t able to taste it, but what a wonderful aroma! The kitchen smelled like an old-time pizza parlor!

Please find me a strait jacket...

So I've finally finished baking all 12 of the gingerbread house pieces.

Monday am heading to Bulk Barn to buy the candy. Gads, seems like I spent a small fortune last year for only 4 houses and although we had a lot left over - I have no idea how much to buy for 12 houses! YIKES!! A friend will join me to do that and then

I have roped her in to help with the assembly of the houses on Tues.
At the same time, need to make the foil covered cardboard 'plates' for the houses to be on.
Then I need to find a place to 'store' them til Sat. Have the top of a free standing cupboard, all I need to do is find a place for all the stuff already there. Leaving them on a table top is not an option as although my dog would not touch them, my son's dog has even pulled down and opened the toaster oven door to get a loaf of bread I thought was safely stashed away. Son, dog & family arriving the night before.

So far the latest count is Kids - 7, Adults - 12 (+1 more possible).

After supper last night, I made Alice cookies. Somehow, my Dad pulled it out of his grey matter and identified Alice--neighbor of my great, great grandparents. Mystery solved. Now I have two loaves of banana bread in the oven. The only banana bread I like (since I hate bananas) is the recipe I got from the Executive Chef at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal back in the '80s.

I’m still looking for the perfect chocolate Babka recipe. It has to be kneaded and proofed in a bread maker, though. My arthritic hands don’t do prolonged kneading anymore (and my stand mixer is packed away somewhere, and the food processor bowl is cracked. Problems of the privileged, I know).

And cheese breads!

... The only banana bread I like (since I hate bananas) is the recipe I got from the Executive Chef at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal back in the '80s.

Wow! I have a recipe from him for French Onion Soup which I just love. That guy was sure happy to share his secrets!

SO has started her Christmas cookie baking. So far, she has made anise cookies and Pecan nut balls. Next on the list is eggnog cookies. Beyond that, who knows.

I have biscochito cookies in the oven right now, which is an anise flavored cookie. In fact it is the state of New Mexico's official cookie. Andy, what is your SO's recipe?

Back
Top Bottom