Dinner Thread, June 24th, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Strip Steak and Mushrooms, Artichokes, and a nice bottle of Washington red.

img_1370849_0_8ad70b7478b2d9574cb96ccadceacaca.jpg

Steve, that photo looks soooo yummy! Tonight I'm just having some yogurt and fresh fruit, had a huge salad for lunch and a nice breakfast, so I've had most of my calories for the day, just need a little something before going to bed.

Steve, you bought wine???

I grilled a couple of ribeyes and a NY strip for dinner tonight. We also had salad and corn on the cob so the steak wouldn't feel lonely.

I decided to cut up my portobella, mix it with some criminis and button mushrooms and make Mushrooms Gratin. I had some Swiss cheese and some great aged white cheddar (I won't say the name of it in case the Chief reads this - he gets very envious :LOL:).

I had a small Caesar salad with it, made with our own romaine - it tasted so good!

Wow, that picture is gorgeous as usual Steve.

We had big fabulous artichokes too. I nearly came unglued when I found them at the Dollar Store and cooked four of them tonight as we like them cold too. At a dollar each, I bought some for the neighbors too. We like them with a dipping sauce of mayo, lemon juice and garlic powder.

I also grilled two thick loin pork chops the ATK way, and they were succulent and wonderful if I do say so myself. That method is just perfect.
Here's the link for the chops if anyone missed it a few months ago.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f38/perfect-grilled-pork-chops-88487.html

Last edited:
Wow, that picture is gorgeous as usual Steve.

We had big fabulous artichokes too. I nearly came unglued when I found them at the Dollar Store and cooked four of them tonight as we like them cold too. At a dollar each, I bought some for the neighbors too. We like them with a dipping sauce of mayo, lemon juice and garlic powder.
I was surprised to find them here for $1.50 each, looking as big and fresh as they did.

We've tried a few dipping sauces, but my favorite is equal parts sour cream and mayo with a dose of horseradish. My wife and I used to make the horseradish sauce for steaks, but it's positively delicious on artichokes, too. Yum! :yum:

I had a long day and a class tonight, so I didn't feel like cooking. I ordered pizza from our local New York-style pizza parlor. Delish!

Great looking dinner, Steve! :yum:

Y'all are getting some good deals on artichokes in your areas. They've been 2/$5 here for quite a while now. They are really big, though. Trader Joe's might have them for a little less, but I don't get down there often.

A friend brought me a bag of cherry tomatoes from her garden today, and I've been eating them like candy this evening. So that was dinner. :LOL:

I was surprised to find them here for $1.50 each, looking as big and fresh as they did.

We've tried a few dipping sauces, but my favorite is equal parts sour cream and mayo with a dose of horseradish. My wife and I used to make the horseradish sauce for steaks, but it's positively delicious on artichokes, too. Yum! :yum:

I'm going to try your dipping sauce on the two I have saved from tonight Steve. I love horseradish, and a change is always nice in artichoke season.

Spaghetti with meat sauce tonight. A nice green salad on the side.

How was the Washington wine Steve? The steak and artichoke look fab.

Last edited:
I had peppercorn-crusted filet mignon, baked potato, and salad. Vanilla ice cream with homemade hot fudge sauce for dessert.

Last edited:
I had a sirloin steak salad "sandwich" (rarely eat steak these days).

It had quite a thick fat layer so I trimmed it off and rendered it down on a low heat in the frying pan. Then fried some onions in it before lightly searing the steak on both sides and letting it rest.

I had a grain/rye ciabatta style artisan loaf. Used some of that and had it with some roasted red pepper, tomato and watercress.

I was surprisingly awake at my normal bedtime - lots of energy. I guess this must have been due to the iron in the meat (mostly eat poultry these days).

I saw a Jamie Oliver recipe for Piri Piri Pork Belly with a special rub. Thought I'd try out the rub on a smaller piece of meat (just in case I didn't like it). It was really great/tasty!

For 320g meat (I had 2 turkey steaks): Get one and a half fresh bay leaves (I have them in my garden). Destalk them, scrunch them up and pound them with quarter teaspoon salt until a paste. (Takes a little effort). Then add a quarter teaspoon smoked paprika (I used just paprika) and a quarter tablespoon of oil. Rub in the meat - both sides and cook!

I had it in a sandwich of artisan sourdough bread (pouillane), toasted one side. I soaked up the untoasted side in the meat juices then lightly buttered). Had it with a salad.

Back
Top Bottom