"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO Birthday dinner idea at a restaurant

Hey, sorry I sort of dissapeared for a while. I'd like to say I've been busy but that would be a lie (except for a few days ago when I had an old pal visit for three days). But mostly, no excuse! Anyways, I'm going to this resturaunt tomorrow with my gal pals for my birthday. Can someone help me decide what to order? Since you know, its my birthday and I only go to a pricy resturaunt a few times a year. What would you get? Thanks.

EDIT: I felt really really sick, so we didn't go. Going on Saturday instead, will post back then!

Old 09-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Happy Birthday to you!

I just took a look at the menu and
I've decided...I'll be no help at all! I want everything!!

Creme Brulee for dessert for sure though!
And the lamb sounds good for dinner ( except it's not a weekend)

Old 09-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
Head Chef

Happy Birthday for tomorrow, "Brian" (heh heh )

So many things look so good and we all have different tastes... and what sounds good to me today might not tomorrow. When I go to a gourmet establishment I usually go for a 'base' of something I like but rarely eat in my regular routine (like lamb) and see what they've done to it.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I havenn't been there in a long while, but the food was superb when I was... Id be having the sweetbreads or the rabbit... side of braised greens or hand-cut fries...

You'll be in heaven whaever you choose. besides, how can you possibly know what you will want to eat tomorrow?

Play it by ear, and have a wonderful birthday, and a great dinner!
Old 09-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
OK heres what id order if iw as with a group..

to start

Mizuna Salad with Smoked Feta, Prosciutto, Grilled Peaches & Balsamic Vinaigrette

SIDES:
Sweet Beets with Roasted Hazelnuts & Honey Mustard Glaze
Braised Greens with Garlic, Lemon & Olive Oil

MAINS
Rabbit
or
TUNA!!

now since im a dessert chef ill tell you my take on desserts!

I like the sound of the Peach Polenta Cake with Stewed Blueberries, Crème Fraiche & Maple Glazed Almonds

HOWEVER... Whenever a restaurant is brave enough to put on a Souffle i order it!!Warm Chocolate Soufflé Cake with Toasted Hazelnuts & Honey Vanilla Ice Cream ((im a lil disappointed that its served with this icecream and that there is 2 chocolate desserts on the menu)) but still go souffle
Old 09-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Thanks for the recplies guys. I think I would have the lamb, but tomorrow is Tuesday, not Saturday. And June, I don't think I could ever eat a bunny. Well maybe I could, but I never tried it so I don't think I'll risk it.
I'm sort of suprized that they have both "sweetbread" and "vegetable bread pudding" on the list for entrees. But I guess you have to feed the vegetarians, and they could be good.
Hey ChefJune, when were you at Paley's? Is there a different one outside of Portland or did you go to the one there? Are you an Oregonian?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jen
OK heres what id order if iw as with a group..

to start

Mizuna Salad with Smoked Feta, Prosciutto, Grilled Peaches & Balsamic Vinaigrette

SIDES:
Sweet Beets with Roasted Hazelnuts & Honey Mustard Glaze
Braised Greens with Garlic, Lemon & Olive Oil

MAINS
Rabbit
or
TUNA!!

now since im a dessert chef ill tell you my take on desserts!

I like the sound of the Peach Polenta Cake with Stewed Blueberries, Crème Fraiche & Maple Glazed Almonds

HOWEVER... Whenever a restaurant is brave enough to put on a Souffle i order it!!Warm Chocolate Soufflé Cake with Toasted Hazelnuts & Honey Vanilla Ice Cream ((im a lil disappointed that its served with this icecream and that there is 2 chocolate desserts on the menu)) but still go souffle
Thank you for the suggestions! Besides the desserts you suggested (3 of the four best looking) I was thinking the goat cheesecake. But I'm afraid that might be sort of weird tasting. Anyone had goat cheesecake? Is it good/better than cream cheesecake?
Old 09-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
Head Chef

Okay, here are my choices, Banana (Happy Birthday, and here's to you and your generous girlfriends!)

I would order things that I would love, but wouldn't make myself, and can't get most other places.

- Kobe beef tartar for an appetizer. I've never had Kobe.

- salad with romaine, onion, bacon, buttermilk and bleu cheese dressing (OMG!) to be brought WITH my entree.

- Dungeness Crab with corn and chanterelle risotto

- chocolate souffle

WOW!

Have a blast!

Lee
Old 09-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Everything looks so good BUT, if you have the crushed potatoes, tell me what it is like - I've never heard of it.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
Executive Chef

These would be my choices....

The romaine salad
Diver scallops
crushed new potatoes
Halibut
Creme brulee

Have a great time tomorrow and happy early birthday to you!