"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
View Poll Results: What three preparations do you think sounds best?
Pan Roasted Loin "Chateurbriand" with a Horseradish Crust, Syrah Reduction 8 47.06%
Braised Pork Cheeks with Braising Jus, Celeriac Puree, and Three-Citrus Gremolata 3 17.65%
Braised Pork Belly with a Port Demi-Glace, Big Heart Artichokes, and Truffled Mache Salad 5 29.41%
Rilette of Pork and Foie Gras, Banyuls Vinegar Reduction, Pomegranate, and Fuji Apples 3 17.65%
Grilled Mini Pork Chop with Chantrelle Jus, Marscapone and Chive Grits, and Exotic Herb Salad 14 82.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2006, 05:28 PM   #11
Master Chef
Debbie, y'all probably don't have grits up there in Canada. Basically, it's cornmeal mush, made from white corn. It used to be a breakfast thing, but creative chefs are beginning to use it for main dishes, as the Italians do with polenta. If you've ever eaten polenta, it's the same thing, only made from yellow corn.
Chantrells are an exotic mushroom, and jus means juice from the meat, so I'd say to use your imagination on that one. Perhaps he uses dried chantrells, soaks them in hot water, and uses the juice from them.
Mascarpone is an Italian cream cheese...I've never tried it, but I believe I've heard that it's sweeter than our cream cheese.
I'm guessing that the vinegar Iron Chef is using is some fancy kind of balsamic vinegar, which as actually somewhat sweet.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I picked the last one... I like it the best... :)

kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #13
Executive Chef
I also picked the last one
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
You're not alone Debbie!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:12 PM   #15
Executive Chef
You could've actually chosen three...it was a sampler type entree with three demi portions.

Regarding the questions on prep:

Grits is similar to polenta but whereas polenta is made from the whole kernals, grits is only made from the hominy. The marscapone cheese is a sweet Italian cream cheese (if you've ever eaten tiramisu you've eaten marscapone) that can be used in savory dishes, and not just desserts if done right.

The banyuls vinegar was used in a reduction which concentrates the flavors and sweetness. It's basically reduced with sugar and red wine, plus aromatics and spices for flavor.

The chantrelle jus is made with a combination of fresh and dried mushrooms, the mushroom liquid, veal stock, chicken stock, white wine, aromatics, herbs, and spices. The liquid is then strained and reduced to concentrate the flavors. The mushrooms are then added back in, and the sauce gets finished with butter and seasoned to taste when ordered.

Pork cheeks and pork belly are two of the most flavorful cuts of the pig. Slow cooking methods are best when preparing these two cuts.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I picked the last one
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #17
Master Chef
i think your last one sounds great.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote