Menu for 3/28/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today felt more like April than March by us. Still, I bet a moderator will fix the date before long.

I have a rack of ribs cooking low-and-slow in the toaster oven, half racks divided up between the two . I cut them into serving sized pieces last night, then rubbed them up with the last of my Penzeys BBQ 3001 blend. Once they're done with this step, I'll take them from their foil wraps and baste with sauce, then pop back into the oven to finish off.

Sides will be mac-and-cheese, beans simmered with salt pork chunks, and some of the cornbread from Monday.

Menufor 4/28/18

SO and GD are off to NY. GD is moving there. So I’m alone and will have a bowl of chili a salad and a beer.

Craig finished up beef stew that he had started a couple of days ago so that was dinner, and he started a jambalaya.

Kayelle and I motored up to Santa Barbara for a very early dinner. We went through La Arcada to Anderson's Restaurant on State Street. After checking out the entire menu, we both ordered the Viking Feast. Unfortunately, we could not get a good picture of the listing, but here it is:
VIKING FEAST
Our own Pickled Herring, onions, capers, horseradish at side
Our chicken liver pate,pickled cucumbers, red cabbage
Smoked Scottish salmon, Havarti cheese, our famous dill sauce
All served on a plate
Pumpernickel and breads at side

It was all delicious, but neither of us could finish all of it, so we brought the remnants home along with pastries from their bakery.
Being Spring Break, there were lots of people around and campers along the beach. It was a beautiful day for a drive.

Attachments

• IMG_20180328_130211[1].jpg
    IMG_20180328_130211[1].jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 160
Kayelle and I motored up to Santa Barbara for a very early dinner. We went through La Arcada to Anderson's Restaurant on State Street. After checking out the entire menu, we both ordered the Viking Feast. Unfortunately, we could not get a good picture of the listing, but here it is:
VIKING FEAST
Our own Pickled Herring, onions, capers, horseradish at side
Our chicken liver pate,pickled cucumbers, red cabbage
Smoked Scottish salmon, Havarti cheese, our famous dill sauce
All served on a plate
Pumpernickel and breads at side

It was all delicious, but neither of us could finish all of it, so we brought the remnants home along with pastries from their bakery.
Being Spring Break, there were lots of people around and campers along the beach. It was a beautiful day for a drive.

SC and KL, I'm so happy you guys got to Andersen's, is that place just the bomb-diggity? Did you two get to have breakfast there as well on your weekend get-a-way?
I've been telling DH that we NEED to take another trip to SB, such a cool place.
Oh and btw, what pasties did you take home?

HA! I like the thread's title today ;)

I convinced DH that we should go into town today,
since was a gorgeous spring like day.
We strolled around the town square for a bit
and then down the street to one of our favorite spots.
We had a very late lunch/early supper, it was wonderful!
On our table was 2 half sized house salads
(which neither of us finished)
a HUGE slice of Cheese Pizza
a nice sized platter of Fried Calamari
and a basket of Garlic knots.
Our waiter wanted to bring out the salads
first, and then the pizza and calamari, along with the knots ...
STOP.
Just bring them all at once and we'll pick.
The Calamari was wonderful atop my salad (DH is allergic)
and I got a bite of his Pizza,
we shared the knots, MMM!
Isn't it grand when everyone at the table eats garlic?
That sorta cancels out the garlic breath :LOL:

SC and KL, I'm so happy you guys got to Andersen's, is that place just the bomb-diggity? Did you two get to have breakfast there as well on your weekend get-a-way?
I've been telling DH that we NEED to take another trip to SB, such a cool place.
Oh and btw, what pasties did you take home?

No, for our weekend getaway, we had a fabulous Sunday sea food brunch around the corner from Andersen's, called Jeannine's Menus
The pastries from Andersen's today are Napoleon Hats and large lacy cookie sandwiches they called French Pancakes. Ohhhh...and chocolate rum balls. Thud... :ohmy:

Last edited:
I made my first lasagna today -- looks like it took me a month to make it, since I started it on 3/28. :)

I didn't use a recipe, per se. I read a bunch of recipes, got the general idea, and made my own mini-lasagna. Well, sort of mini -- I ate the whole thing and now I'm stuffed. It was good... perhaps even Garfield worthy.

CD

Attachments

• Lasagna001.jpg
    Lasagna001.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 151
No, for our weekend getaway, we had a fabulous Sunday sea food brunch around the corner from Andersen's, called Jeannine's Menus
The pastries from Andersen's today are Napoleon Hats and large lacy cookie sandwiches they called French Pancakes. Ohhhh...and chocolate rum balls. Thud... :ohmy:

Y'know K, I think DH and I had coffee one afternoon at Jennines, the photo of the front strikes a bell for me.

I just love SB, well the whole area really... DH really doesn't like to go to California anymore though ... another ax murder in San Francisco ... there's craziness everywhere, what are you going to do? :shrug:

I made my first lasagna today -- looks like it took me a month to make it, since I started it on 3/28. :)

I didn't use a recipe, per se. I read a bunch of recipes, got the general idea, and made my own mini-lasagna. Well, sort of mini -- I ate the whole thing and now I'm stuffed. It was good... perhaps even Garfield worthy.

CD

Beautiful Casey!
Are those handmade pasta sheets you used there? I love it when it gets little crispy bits around the edges like that...
AND ...I WANT THAT PAN!!! What brand is that? and what are the dimensions? I'm tired of making lasagna in throw-away aluminum pans, I'd like something a bit more, well, nicer I suppose.
003.JPG

Beautiful Casey!
Are those handmade pasta sheets you used there? I love it when it gets little crispy bits around the edges like that...
AND ...I WANT THAT PAN!!! What brand is that? and what are the dimensions? I'm tired of making lasagna in throw-away aluminum pans, I'd like something a bit more, well, nicer I suppose.
View attachment 29563

I did not make the pasta sheets. Fresh homemade pasta, when you are cooking for one, is just not practical.

The baking dish is from Le Creuset. It is a 5X7-inch. I also have a 7X10 and a 9X9. I have a Le Creuset Outlet Store near me, so I got them for a reasonable price. I got the 9X9 most recently, and it was 35 bucks including sales tax. I don't remember what I paid for the other two, but it was less than the 9X9. Le Creuset bakeware is not that pricey, compared to the cast iron -- especially at an outlet store.

CD

TB did OT while I was trying to sleep off a head/chest cold so when he finally got off work he stopped at the store and got a rotisserie chicken. He had his usual two legs with greek salad and I had a chicken Caesar salad. Just a light meal but it hit the spot.

Lydia!

Beautiful Casey!
View attachment 29563

Kgirl if you want some truly beautiful bakeware, check out the https://polishpotteryoutlet.com/
I have several pieces, and I treasure them. They are expensive, but every time I use them they make me smile with their beauty. My sons and their wives have been lusting over the ones I have and when I told them they'd have to wait till I die, SC decided it was time to buy them some pieces. :LOL:

Kgirl if you want some truly beautiful bakeware, check out the https://polishpotteryoutlet.com/
I have several pieces, and I treasure them. They are expensive, but every time I use them they make me smile with their beauty. My sons and their wives have been lusting over the ones I have and when I told them they'd have to wait till I die, SC decided it was time to buy them some pieces. :LOL:

That is very pretty bakeware, but not my style. Some of it looks kind of Moorish in its highly detailed artwork. I loved walking through the Moorish architecture in Southern Spain and Northern Africa, but don't think I could live with it in my own home.

CD

LP! Long time no see! Good to hear from you.

Nice looking dinner photos, Souschef and cd. Now I want to make lasagna...

Photo of tonight's supper. The ribs were really good. :yum: I finally got a nice sloppy pan of mac-and-cheese, too. Most times I underestimate the amount of sauce...

Attachments

• 20180328_213742.jpg
    20180328_213742.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 121
Back
Top Bottom