"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I used to live on East 8th Ave! Can use give more details on the sub??

I was thinking about burgers for dinner, but am waiting for sub instructions..
beth, it's a good thing I sat down to rest my barking "dogs" for a minute. Otherwise, I wouldn't have seen this till too late. Unfortunately, this will probably require a trip to the store...

Start with a sub bun/French bread/ciabatta bread. Something that toasts nicely. Cut open for sandwich, place on baking sheet cut-side down, and pop into oven just long enough to crunch the crust. Flip over and layer the bottom half with salami, pepperoni, two or three types of ham (I usually use prosciutto, capicola and a baked ham that isn't sweet), and the top half with cheese(s). Tonight it's just provolone, but sometimes I'll also add a slice of mozz. Pop the tray into the oven so that the cheese melts and the meats warm. When the cheese is melted, add slices of onion, tomato, mild pepper rings (or hot, if that's your thing) and lettuce. Drizzle with sub dressing, or mix your own with olive oil with Italian herbs and a bit of granulated garlic.

When you put this into the oven, have the temp set for around 450, like you would use to bake a pizza. Quisno's would send their sandwiches through the pizza oven to toast them. My friend Marlene lived right across from Quisno's. I never got any sleep when I would stay with her.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 269
I did sausage and peppers tonight with homemade rolls of course. {again, lol}

I did sweet and spicy sausage {I have a bunch that wouldn't fit in the frz}...
I just throw a few red and green peppers in the food slicer with a few onions, then olive oil and a tbl of sugar, cook them down. I add some red sauce when they are done-ish...

Next I put the entire sausages in the oven and bake them till they are firm, then I cut them into slices about 1/2" thick.

Next I cover them with my red sauce and add the onions and pepper mix, mix it up in the oven pan and put it back in the oven for about 45 minutes...

By then the rolls will be done and cooled...

Quick monday dinner for me and the kids, my wife is out with my sister they went and got their eyebrows done, I have no idea what that means, but I figure she has always been having them "done" and she looks good, so maybe I don't want to see her with her eyebrows "UNDONE" ... She will eat leftovers from last night when she gets home...
__________________

__________________
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
beth, it's a good thing I sat down to rest my barking "dogs" for a minute. Otherwise, I wouldn't have seen this till too late. Unfortunately, this will probably require a trip to the store...

Start with a sub bun/French bread/ciabatta bread. Something that toasts nicely. Cut open for sandwich, place on baking sheet cut-side down, and pop into oven just long enough to crunch the crust. Flip over and layer the bottom half with salami, pepperoni, two or three types of ham (I usually use prosciutto, capicola and a baked ham that isn't sweet), and the top half with cheese(s). Tonight it's just provolone, but sometimes I'll also add a slice of mozz. Pop the tray into the oven so that the cheese melts and the meats warm. When the cheese is melted, add slices of onion, tomato, mild pepper rings (or hot, if that's your thing) and lettuce. Drizzle with sub dressing, or mix your own with olive oil with Italian herbs and a bit of granulated garlic.

When you put this into the oven, have the temp set for around 450, like you would use to bake a pizza. Quisno's would send their sandwiches through the pizza oven to toast them. My friend Marlene lived right across from Quisno's. I never got any sleep when I would stay with her.
Thank you CG. Yep it will require a trip to the market. Ingredients duly noted, for a later meal.

We had the burgers early, so we can head north to feed the horse and beat the snow.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #14
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Shrimp Pad Thai... hopefully.

(Experimenting again)
Mrs K. came home and talked me into going out. Her treat. It took some terrible arm twisting to convince me to go have a free meal.

Pad Thai will wait until tomorrow.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
In honor of THE Ohio State Buckeyes playing in the first-ever College Football National Championship game, I will be creating the original, Chittenden Avenue in Columbus, OH Quisno's sub sandwiches. Not to be confused with the chain version (started by a former OSU student who worked for the family-run Quisno's, headed west, corrupted the spelling of the name, and started a ho-hum hoagie chain...), this is a wonderfully toasted sub bun chock full of yummy stuff. Let the game (and eating) commence! At 8:30 PM...
You're enthusiasm is delightful CG and I'll be cheering for your team too! Go Buckeye's!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
I did sausage and peppers tonight with homemade rolls of course. {again, lol}

I did sweet and spicy sausage {I have a bunch that wouldn't fit in the frz}...
I just throw a few red and green peppers in the food slicer with a few onions, then olive oil and a tbl of sugar, cook them down. I add some red sauce when they are done-ish...

Next I put the entire sausages in the oven and bake them till they are firm, then I cut them into slices about 1/2" thick.

Next I cover them with my red sauce and add the onions and pepper mix, mix it up in the oven pan and put it back in the oven for about 45 minutes...

By then the rolls will be done and cooled...

Quick monday dinner for me and the kids, my wife is out with my sister they went and got their eyebrows done, I have no idea what that means, but I figure she has always been having them "done" and she looks good, so maybe I don't want to see her with her eyebrows "UNDONE" ... She will eat leftovers from last night when she gets home...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're having brined fried pork chops, green beans with bacon onion in chick. broth, baked spuds. Simple but good.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
Bookbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 210
Dinner was to be ham and beans with corn muffins. I put a pot of (soaked) yellow-eye beans on the back of the cookstove this morning with instructions to let them barely simmer. Should have put them in the crockpot....I'm pretty sure DH wandered off and let the stove go out because they're still a bit crunchy.

So tonight it will be leftover lamb curry made from leftover slow-roasted lamb shoulder. And gingerbread pudding cake with a plop of vanilla Häagen-Dazs.
__________________
Bookbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
Monday the 12th. Dinner???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbrat View Post
Dinner was to be ham and beans with corn muffins. I put a pot of (soaked) yellow-eye beans on the back of the cookstove this morning with instructions to let them barely simmer. Should have put them in the crockpot....I'm pretty sure DH wandered off and let the stove go out because they're still a bit crunchy.



So tonight it will be leftover lamb curry made from leftover slow-roasted lamb shoulder. And gingerbread pudding cake with a plop of vanilla Häagen-Dazs.

DHs often can't be trusted to watch the beans. At least mine can't, he also tends to wander. I lose him at grocery stores and Costco all the time. I find crockpots to be much more reliable.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
...so maybe I don't want to see her with her eyebrows "UNDONE"...
The dark scepter of the dreaded UNIBROW lurks in the shadows. Let her get her brow done as much as she wants.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:49 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The dark scepter of the dreaded UNIBROW lurks in the shadows. Let her get her brow done as much as she wants.

Wondering how many brows she's got.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:16 AM   #20
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,308
"unibrow"

So many tempting dinners and inspiration tonight, as always. I'm craving beans and ham now, and CG, that sub sounds awesome. Can't comment on everyone's, but they all sound so good.

Tonight's dinner was a throw-together quesadilla with bits and pieces of leftovers. 3 cheeses, the last of the chopped jalapeno, green onions, and Ortega green chilies, a handful of chopped spinach, and the last spoonful or two of salsa. Fruit salad on the side - a mango, 2 halos, and the last banana. Sounds like an odd dinner, but it was good.

Mint chocolate chip ice cream and searching for a movie now.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.