"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-25-2006, 10:55 AM   #51
Sous Chef

Sweet Sides

If you're not set on a cranberry sauce, I posted a recipe for one given to me a few years ago which became an instant favorite. My family enjoy it on toast or over ice cream... as well as nestled up to the turkey slices.
Cranberry Sauce
Also posted "Grape Salad" - another dish added to our Thanksgiving menu in recent times.
Grape Salad

Old 10-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #52
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Wait... It's not thanksgiving?
I thought that already passed.
What did we just celebrate then?
We had turkey dinner at my house a couple weeks ago.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #53
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
OHH!!!
Yours is November 23rd!
Mine is October 9th! I get it!

hahahah
Old 10-31-2006, 05:19 AM   #54
Master Chef

If guests are arriving early, I do put out a plate of things like carrot & celery sticks, olives and pickles. It is mostly to give people something to munch with drinks, but not filling them up. The cuke salad is more a first course than an appetizer, and when Mom made it, it was just on the table with everything else. I'm 51 years old, and most of my Thanksgivings were not just family-oriented, but more community oriented.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:39 AM   #55
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I always have dinner here at home for my kids at Thanksgiving...
MY MENU will include:
deep fried turkey
dressing
baked mac and sheese
greens
squash casserole
yaddied yams
corn on the cobb
biscuits
pumpkin pie
and of course cranberry sauce...
Old 10-31-2006, 10:49 AM   #56
Head Chef

I love Thanksgiving. We are invited to a friend's home every year. It's quite a large gathering and everyone brings a dish as requested by the hostess. She keeps the menu pretty traditional. I like to make an appetizer or dessert. Something I can tweak a little bit.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #57
Master Chef

Thanksgiving?

what are you cooking?
invited to an early holiday dinner Sunday; may cook apple dumplings.

Thanksgiving days, Grandpap cooks turkey, maybe ham, taters, desserts, other dishes.....
Happy Holidays!
Old 11-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #58
Executive Chef

With the exception of the meats and cheeses for the antipasto, I finally finished food shopping. It's amazing how much food we buy for one meal...and then there is nothing in the refrigerator to eat for three days before Thanksgiving!

I have dinner for tonight and tomorrow, but after that, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday there is nothing. (not like I cook all that much during the week, anyway, but at least there is something for my son to throw together if he's so inclined)
Old 11-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #59
Senior Cook

Traditional Thanksgiving will be a day early this year.

We're going to my paren't house in the PA Poconos this year. I love visiting, but my mom is one of the rare few who doesn't like turkey or stuffing or mashed potatoes! So Thanksgiving there this year is country ham, sweet potatoes, roasted pineapple, creamed spinach and lots of dessert. A great meal for sure, but I'll miss the annual turkey and stuffing and mashed pots. So I'll be cooking a "small", yet traditional Thanksgiving dinner at home on Wednesday night for my husband, my 3-year old and my mother-in-law. I'll do a turkey (breast only), my favorite mashed potatoes with butter, chives and cream cheese mixed in, creamed onions, sausage apple herb stuffing (an idea from the stuffing thread), brussel sprouts with bacon and rolls with butter. Of course, pumpkin pie and ice cream for dessert. I'm sure we'll have plenty of leftovers.

My only worry is the gravy.
I've always cooked a whole turkey, however this year I'm a little worried. I'm anticipating it may be difficult to get enough pan drippings from a turkey breast portion only, unlike all the great drippings from a whole bird.

Does anyone here make just a breast? And if you do, do you find that you get enough drippings from it to make a gravy?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Run to the store tomorrow, buy a small pkg of turkey wings; bring 'em home, and preheat oven to 425. Cut wings into sections, put in a roasting pain with a quartered onion, a couple of chopped carrots, and a couple of celery sticks. Roast for about an hour, til you have a lot of brown 'fond' on the bottom of the pan; note you may need to add a tiny bit of oil to keep it from burning .

Take the wings and veg out of the pan into a stockpot; put the roasting pan on the stovetop, add some water just to cover the bottom and scrape up all the browned bits; add that to the stockpot, and then add water to cover. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook for about 2 hours.

Now you've got wonderful turkey stock to make gravy! For your gravy, I'd use the pan you roasted the breast in; just add some oil or butter and your flour to make a roux, then use that wonderful stock for your gravy - you'll love it!