2017 Thanksgiving Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll probably be taking pulled pork and poppers or smoked cauliflower this year. Not really sure yet. Figuring it out is half the fun for me.

Incomplete at this point. :unsure:

Probably some kind of gumbo to start.
Fried Turkey..For certain.
Southern cornbread dressing is a gimme.
Sweet potatoes...some way.
Fresh cranberries... and sauce too. Gotta make everybody happy! :rolleyes:
Big pot of fresh mustard greens and turnip greens mixed....with turnip roots.
Somebody will probably want a green bean casserole...It will NOT have COM soup in it. :glare:
Either a Buttermilk pie or a Coconut. Probably some kind of cake(s) What ever the little brown-eyed girl wants to make/bake.
Wine, both leaded and unleaded coffee...some with chicory too. ;)

Adding a smoked ham which will require a batch of "Aunt Booty's yeast rolls. Cake will be Carrot. A pecan pie will be added to the Coconut one. Sweet potatoes will be bourbon sweet potatoes.

Is there a recipe for the Bourbon Sweet Potatoes?

I don't use one. I make mine with 1" chunks steamed.

The ingredients are:

Sweet potatoes peeled and chunked.
Water for steaming
Butter, butter and butter:angel:
Brown sugar
Salt
Pecans
Bourbon or dark rum

I do them in an oven safe skillet. That way if I fancy marsh mellows, I can put them on top and stick the pan in the oven. I don't use measurements, just go by taste and how thick I want the glaze.

Thank you for your method, CraigC. I will consult my trusty research assistant - Miss Google - and see if I can find something with amounts (for my Mom who is a stickler for amounts).

Is there a recipe for the Bourbon Sweet Potatoes?

Here's what I do....most of the time anyway.:)

You will need 1/2 stick of no-salt butter. + some to coat the dish.
5-6 Sweet potatoes cut into 1/2 inch slices.
Course salt and fresh ground pepper.
1/2 cup of light or dark brown sugar. I like the dark.
1/2 cup of good bourbon.
2 Tablespoons of Cane syrup. Maple might work.

Heat oven to 350* ~ Butter the inside of your casserole dish. ~ Arrange the potato slices in the dish and salt and pepper. ~ ~ In a sauce pan add the butter, the sugar, the bourbon, and the Cane syrup. ~ Bring it to a boil over medium heat. ~ As soon as it boils pour it over the sweet potatoes.~ Bake until the potatoes are soft. ~ Baste and turn the potatoes a couple of times. ~ Takes 45 minutes to an hour.

Sometimes when the notion strikes me I throw in a 'handful' of pecans.

Pretty simple and straight forward.

Enjoy!

Uncle Bob, it seems like honey would be a good substitute for the cane syrup.

I wonder if I could get DH to eat sweet potatoes if I made them with bourbon. He loves it [emoji2]

Uncle Bob, it seems like honey would be a good substitute for the cane syrup.

I wonder if I could get DH to eat sweet potatoes if I made them with bourbon. He loves it [emoji2]

Never tried honey. A little drizzle to finish might be good.
I like the residual flavor of the Pure cane syrup...also why I favor dark brown over light sugar ~~ Get him to help you make it...use 3/4 cup bourbon in stead of 1/2...let him add that ingredient. He's apt to try it. ;)

Luck!

Never tried honey. A little drizzle to finish might be good.
I like the residual flavor of the Pure cane syrup...also why I favor dark brown over light sugar ~~ Get him to help you make it...use 3/4 cup bourbon in stead of 1/2...let him add that ingredient. He's apt to try it. ;)

Luck!
Great idea! You are so wise, Uncle Bob!

My mom would complain every year about how much work it was to make a Thanksgiving dinner and swore once we kids left home she'd never do it again. Then when we all left home, my parents lived next to Ellsworth Air Force base and decided to invite over some of the guys there who were away from home for the first time.

So there my mom was again, cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 10 or more people. LOL But as she points out (way too often), these guys arrived early, brought something with them, helped with some of the cooking, and did most of the clean up for her. WITHOUT her having to yell herself hoarse at them which she had to do with us kids.

Now I'm the one who would hate to do all that work but since I'm one of those who likes to spend the holidays alone anyway, I'm thinking of making a run over to Long John Silver's in the morning and bringing home some nice crispy fish to eat for Thanksgiving. I would really enjoy that!

Last edited:
First, I noticed you are in Canada, so I'm surprised you are doing T-day in the first place. Are you originally from the US? Second, why do you have to do it? I live in the US, and I don't. It was very freeing when we gave it up. Take back your T-day, and do what you want!
I have lived in Canada since 1985. However, my Dad was treated for prostate cancer in Fall 2015, my Mom, who suffers from dementia had a stroke in January 2016 and has been non-ambulatory and dual incontinent since, my brother died suddenly in April 2016. I have been caring for my Mom since late May 2016 in MN. My Dad expects T'giving. Caring for my Mom, handling my brother's estate, etc. is emotionally, mentally, and physically exhausting. I'd rather it be just like any other day, same for Christmas. My brother's b'day was Noc 4. It is really hard getting through the last two months of the year without him. Not that you needed all this info. And there's a whole lot more to the story. Not that it was any of your business, but since you asked, thought I would share.

Finally decided on my Thanksgiving lunch/dinner, sorry Kayelle, but no turkey! Well, we'll see, BIL says he'll bring some, but he's also traveling 300 miles, so I'm not holding my breath....

My turkey comes out mediocre every year. And if I'm painfully honest, every year my mother made it too. I know there's fancy things one can do to make it taste better, but I wasn't prepared to host this year, so I had to compensate. My goal for 2018 is to roast a perfect turkey!

Apple Cranberry (Date) Walnut Salad https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/appl...
Blue Cheese Scallion Drop Biscuits from Smitten Kitchen https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/bl...
Sausage and Sage Stuffing - DH's recipe.
Three Day Make Ahead Mash Potatoes - this is my traditional Tday dish, I've made it for over twenty years, it's the one dish I'm absolutely stubborn about, it has to be there.
Sausages from Costco - I'm doing a mix of bratwurst and chicken with artichokes
Turkey - guests are buying fried turkey breast
Dessert - guest are bringing it, but we'll have backup pumpkin pie from Sam's Club on hand.
Drinks - Craft beers, soda and water. I need to do better job on the cocktail selection next year, at least have one craft cocktail, but BIL and gf like beer, so craft beer it is.

Thanks for everyone's input. I love reading this thread for suggestions.

Finally decided on my Thanksgiving lunch/dinner, sorry Kayelle, but no turkey! Well, we'll see, BIL says he'll bring some, but he's also traveling 300 miles, so I'm not holding my breath....

My turkey comes out mediocre every year. And if I'm painfully honest, every year my mother made it too. I know there's fancy things one can do to make it taste better, but I wasn't prepared to host this year, so I had to compensate. My goal for 2018 is to roast a perfect turkey!

Apple Cranberry (Date) Walnut Salad https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/appl...
Blue Cheese Scallion Drop Biscuits from Smitten Kitchen https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/bl...
Sausage and Sage Stuffing - DH's recipe.
Three Day Make Ahead Mash Potatoes - this is my traditional Tday dish, I've made it for over twenty years, it's the one dish I'm absolutely stubborn about, it has to be there.
Sausages from Costco - I'm doing a mix of bratwurst and chicken with artichokes
Turkey - guests are buying fried turkey breast
Dessert - guest are bringing it, but we'll have backup pumpkin pie from Sam's Club on hand.
Drinks - Craft beers, soda and water. I need to do better job on the cocktail selection next year, at least have one craft cocktail, but BIL and gf like beer, so craft beer it is.

Thanks for everyone's input. I love reading this thread for suggestions.
Three Day Make Ahead Mash Potatoes Can you please elaborate on this. It sounds interesting. Thanks in advance.

The Blue cheese biscuits look wonderful. I LOVE blue cheese. Thanks for the recipe.

Last edited:
I'm having a Louisiana Thanksgiving this year:

• Deep fried turkey with Cajun seasoning
  • Red beans and rice
  • Sufferin' Succotash
  • Cream biscuits
  • 2015 Marie Chardon Sauvignon Blanc

Last edited:
I'm having a Louisiana Thanksgiving this year:

• Deep fried turkey with Cajun seasoning
  • Red beans and rice
  • Sufferin' Succotash
  • Cream biscuits
  • 2015 Marie Chardon Sauvignon Blanc

Stuffed mirliton should find a way into that menu!:yum: No oysters?:(

Three Day Make Ahead Mash Potatoes Can you please elaborate on this. It sounds interesting. Thanks in advance.

The Blue cheese biscuits look wonderful. I LOVE blue cheese. Thanks for the recipe.

Sure. It's cheesy, oozy, goodness. It's not healthy or gourmet at all. :LOL:
But it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it.

5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
2 sticks of butter, at room temp
salt
pepper
8 oz small curd cottage cheese (trust)
4 oz sour cream
crushed soda crackers

Butter a large casserole dish.

Peel and cook potatoes however you want. I boil them. Mash them with lots of butter, I'd say 1 1/2 sticks, but more butter never hurts. :LOL:

Flavor with salt and pepper.

Stir in sour cream. GENTLY fold in cottage cheese.

Put into casserole dish. Top with dusting of the crushed crackers and dot and/or drizzle with butter.

Cover tightly. It can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

To SERVE:
Preheat 350
Bake uncovered for 30 mins
Stir before serving.

It's good to take out the potatoes 30 mins before putting them in the oven, but it's fine if you forget.

TIP: Pull the turkey out of the oven, then while the bird is resting, put in the potatoes and bake. Serve at the same time. Timing is perfect!

I wouldn't serve these with gravy because it's really creamy but I still have a gravy boat on the table and advise my guest to pour it on the stuffing and turkey instead.

Back
Top Bottom