2017 Thanksgiving Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought our first turkey today. It's a $0.69/Lb. supermarket special that I will sacrifice for ingredients and future meals. I debone this turkey and use the bones, wings and drumsticks to make turkey stock for Thanksgiving.

The boneless breasts and thighs get frozen for future non-holiday meals.

Wish I didn't have to do T'giving. Too much work and too many leftovers for 3 people.

Have you considered just doing turkey breasts and legs separate from the whole frame? That way you have white and dark meat for every one without all the leftovers. Only enough for open faced sandwiches the next day. Uses up the turkey and gravy.

Last edited:
The usual turkey and traditional trimmin's....there's only a few here for Thanksgiving dinner, so I try to get a smallish turkey and divvy up the leftovers that day, so we each get another couple of dinners or two out of it all. :yum:

Turkey
Dressing
Mashed potatoes
Definitely gravy, and lots of it :yum:
Roasted sweet potatoes, drizzled with butter and orange juice
Fresh green beans, steamed
Some kind of store bought pie (usually 'Claim Jumper', blackberry:)

Since my dad's death a year ago, my brother has taken over most of the care of our mom (a weekly visit, taking care of her finances, her meds, etc.), so he has decided to take mom out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving with his children and grandchildren without consenting anyone. My mother HATES to go out to restaurants on holidays, but we can't seem to get that through my brother's head. :glare:

He and his wife are anti-foodies, if there's such a thing. They raised their kids on hot dogs, pizza, take-out, cereal, frozen foods, and whatever was the quickest and easiest thing to feed them. They've been to France, Italy, Ireland, and England and really didn't think much of the foods anywhere they went. :wacko:

Anyway, mom is too nice to say anything to him, figuring he does so much for her. This is in spite of the fact that my eldest 2 sisters, their families, and mine are willing to go down to mom's house the night before or early the morning of Thanksgiving and prepare everything at home like my parents did for 68 years. So, everyone is going down to mom's the weekend before for the feast to have a proper Thanksgiving dinner. Well, everyone except my brother, his family, and me. I have to work the weekend before.

Now, I really wanted to see my 91 year old mother, and I absolutely LOVE turkey, and all of the foods associated with Thanksgiving, so I called my brother to see if my family could join his and our mom in whatever restaurant they go to on the holiday itself. At least restaurant turkey with mom is better than nothing, so I'm waiting to hear if he was able to add 3 more people to his reservation. I've been waiting since Wednesday. :neutral:

If all else fails, I'm going to make my own small turkey and sausage/herb dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce, steamed string beans, mashed rutabaga, and pearl onions in cream sauce sometime over the following weekend.

We'll be getting back from Florida a few days before Thanksgiving, so my SIL is handling most of the meal. We'll bring wine, dessert, and maybe something else she needs as a fill-in. Our wedding anniversary falls on T-Day this year (our 43rd! :ohmy:), so I got this bright idea. A local bakery who makes very tasty treats will be making a small version of the top layer of our wedding cake. :heart: Needless to say, I'll also be making a pumpkin pie. Don't want my SIL and her hubby mad at me. :LOL:

I was in panic mode as DH gets a whole big turkey as a holiday gift from work. I can never remember if it's for T'giving or Christmas, and I would need a shoehorn to fit it in our already bulging freezer. Whew, turkey comes at Christmas...
You had better start using up things from your freezer, Dawg. I don't want to see a "panic post" about turkey a month from now! ;)

Just hubbie and me this year, 2 0f the grandkids are with their dad this year, oldest one will be at in California at Camp Pendleton, daughter and hubbie will be on a cruise. Cooking a small turkey breast, stuffing/dressing, corn, Brussels spouts, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls.
Dessert no pumpkin pie as I'm pumpkin pie full, our new marine grandson came home after graduation from boot camp and he wanted pumpkin pie so I made a few of them for his welcome home party. This thanksgiving think go simple with just a chocolate cake with a marshmallow whip cream frosting. Happy Thanksgiving everyone may you have a blessed day with family and friends.

Just hubbie and me this year, 2 0f the grandkids are with their dad this year, oldest one will be at in California at Camp Pendleton, daughter and hubbie will be on a cruise. Cooking a small turkey breast, stuffing/dressing, corn, Brussels spouts, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls.
Dessert no pumpkin pie as I'm pumpkin pie full, our new marine grandson came home after graduation from boot camp and he wanted pumpkin pie so I made a few of them for his welcome home party. This thanksgiving think go simple with just a chocolate cake with a marshmallow whip cream frosting. Happy Thanksgiving everyone may you have a blessed day with family and friends.
Can you share the recipe please? TIA
And a Happy Thanksgiving to you also.

Credit and Thanks to The Pioneer Women:

Marshmallow Whipped Cream:

1 - 7-ounce container marshmallow cream
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup confectioners' sugar
In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the marshmallow cream and butter until combined, about 30 seconds.
In a mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk the cream in a separate mixer bowl until frothy.
Lower the speed and gradually add the powdered sugar.
When added, increase the speed and whisk until stiff peaks form.
Add the marshmallow and butter mixture to the cream and whisk until smooth.

Credit and Thanks to The Pioneer Women:

Marshmallow Whipped Cream:

1 - 7-ounce container marshmallow cream
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup confectioners' sugar
In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the marshmallow cream and butter until combined, about 30 seconds.
In a mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk the cream in a separate mixer bowl until frothy.
Lower the speed and gradually add the powdered sugar.
When added, increase the speed and whisk until stiff peaks form.
Add the marshmallow and butter mixture to the cream and whisk until smooth.

oops that's the recipe for whip cream that I use for some pies
this is the frosting one I got from kraft recipes
Marshmallow Creme Frosting - Kraft Recipes

Thank you letscook

Wish I didn't have to do T'giving. Too much work and too many leftovers for 3 people.

First, I noticed you are in Canada, so I'm surprised you are doing T-day in the first place. Are you originally from the US? Second, why do you have to do it? I live in the US, and I don't. It was very freeing when we gave it up. Take back your T-day, and do what you want!

Looks like our menu is set.

Roast Turkey
Stuffing
Pilaf
Butternut Squash
Broccoli
Cranberry Sauce
Fresh Baked Dinner Rolls
Gravy
Cider
Pumpkin Roll
Apple Pie
Pecan Pie
Chocolate Cake with Ganache and a candle (for grandson's birthday)
Vanilla Ice Cream
Wine
Beer
Coffee

First, I noticed you are in Canada, so I'm surprised you are doing T-day in the first place. Are you originally from the US? Second, why do you have to do it? I live in the US, and I don't. It was very freeing when we gave it up. Take back your T-day, and do what you want!
CWS has been living with and taking care of her elderly parents in Minnesota for about a year now. I imagine she's doing Thanksgiving for her their sake.

We are expecting about 9 folks for dinner but the menu is simple this year with several folks bring part of dinner.

2 Turkeys - brined and cooked in the Big Easy
Homemade gravy
Stuffing - one will be vegetarian
cranberry relish
Cranberry sauce
Sweet potatoes baked with apples
Plate of pickles, olives etc
Fresh green beans w/ almonds
Mashed Potatoes
Pumpkin pie
another dessert - tbd
Whipped

As usual we are doing 2 turkeys - both about 15 lbs. One cooks for dinner and the second one goes into cook during dinner. a 15 lb turkey in the Big Easy cooks in about 2 hours. The second one gets cut up and sent home with guests so they can have leftovers.

I am responsible for the birds, dressing, gravy, beans, cleaning the house and cranberries. The rest of the menu has been delegated to guests.

Now the scary part - my DH usually makes cranberry relish. He takes this job seriously and he is particular about the relish but he is traveling and so I have to make it. You may remember the year we narrowly averted a disaster with this relish - now it's my turn http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/cranberries-vs-hubby-round-1-a-82908.html

There is no exact recipe so my chances of getting it just perfect are slim....

Trying to keep the tempting foods and leftovers to a minimum so it will be pretty basic.

Stuffed chicken breast.
Mashed yellow turnip.
Brussels Sprouts.
Cabbage salad.
Pickles, ripe olives and whole cranberry sauce.
Pumpkin custard with whipped cream.

That sounds like a wonderful meal Aunt Bea! Those are all things that I can eat (though the stuffing would have to be gluten free ;))

I'll probably smoke a 12# turkey on the Egg. We don't really have any room in our freezers to justify using the off-set as I don't like to fire it up unless I can fill the cooking chamber. Sides haven't been settled on, but a from scratch green bean casserole will probably be in the mix. That means homemade cream of mushroom using some wild and some crimini.:yum:

I am so glad to hear that for those who are cooking, you are all planning to make sure you have enough leftovers for your company to take home to make sandwiches next day.

The American tradition is to sit at the holiday table and stuff yourself :yum::pig: 'til you just can't eat another bite. Yet you want to. So the guests go home, fall in bed still full, with happy memories. Then next morning when everyone wakes up, their first thoughts go to that great dinner. And they want more. But thanks to the American tradition, there are leftovers that your hostess so graciously gave you in the fridge, and a bite or two before breakfast is called for. What will it be? The stuffing? Those creamy potatoes? Aha! The pumpkin pie. Just a small slice will do. :yum:

So everyone gets to relive that glorious feast the next day thanks to a wonderful hostess and cook. And all because of another American tradition. LEFTOVERS! Yea!!!:yum::yum:

The last several years we've done holiday dinners at the home of my older son and his family. He has decided on ham for Thanksgiving. What? He must be pulling my chain again, right? Hmm, when he asked what I would be bringing for the menu I told him "turkey dinner". There's no way we can have a Thanksgiving without at least turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, mashed spuds and gravy. I'll cook up a Butterball boneless turkey roast to go with his ham. ;)
The other family members can fill in the blanks.

Back
Top Bottom