Prawn Cocktail with a kick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

les

Sous Chef
I love prawn cocktail, but was a bit fed up of the 70's retro version. We'd eaten out last week & I could definately taste something "extra" in my dish, it was horseradish sauce. After a few attempts I managed to recreate the dish without losing the delicate flavour of the prawns.

Prawn-cocktail4.jpg

Serves 2
Prep Time 10 mins
Ingredients

• 2 x 180g Packets Jumbo prawns, cooked
  • 6 Tbsp Low fat mayonnaise
  • 5 Tbsp Tomato sauce
  • 2 Tsps Worcestershire Sauce, add more if you like it hot
  • 1 Tsp Horseradish sauce
  • ½ Tsp Tabasco sauce
  • Squeeze of lemon juice
  • 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Method

• Mix all the ingredients together (except the prawns) in a large bowl
  • Allow to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
  • Stir in the prawns
  • Pour over mixed salad of your choice
  • Sprinkle cayenne pepper over the top
  • Add a wedge of lemon
Equipment

• Large mixing bowl
Shopping List

• 2 x 180g Packets Jumbo prawns, cooked
  • Low fat mayonnaise
  • Tomato sauce
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • Horseradish sauce
  • Tabasco sauce
  • Fresh lemon juice
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Yes!! A bit of horseradish added (to taste) to any mayonnaise, tomato, (or both) based sauces for some seafoods are good eats! Love it on Shrimp cocktail...Also good on raw oysters, but I mostly eat those straight up!! Yum!
A horseradish sauce can be good with beef at times too!!

Thanks, and....

Enjoy!

Your "Prawn Cocktails" in the U.K. must be completely different from our "Shrimp Cocktails" here in the U.S.

Retro or not, here in the U.S., from time eternal any decent "Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail" has ALWAYS had horseradish as part of the saucing - whether that sauce was tomato-based or mayo-based.

In addition, our traditional "Shrimp Cocktail" consists of 4, 6, or 8 truly whole jumbo shrimp (think along the lines of 4"-5" long) plain poached shrimp with the horseradish-laced sauce served alongside for dipping.

How is it usually done in the U.K. that the addition of horseradish is a revelation?

Yes!! A bit of horseradish added (to taste) to any mayonnaise, tomato, (or both) based sauces for some seafoods are good eats! Love it on Shrimp cocktail...Also good on raw oysters, but I mostly eat those straight up!! Yum!
A horseradish sauce can be good with beef at times too!!

Thanks, and....

Enjoy!

Thanks Uncle Bob. We do have horseradish with our beef, but not places use it with seafood sauces, next time I have oysters, I'm heading for the horseradish!!

Your "Prawn Cocktails" in the U.K. must be completely different from our "Shrimp Cocktails" here in the U.S.

Retro or not, here in the U.S., from time eternal any decent "Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail" has ALWAYS had horseradish as part of the saucing - whether that sauce was tomato-based or mayo-based.

In addition, our traditional "Shrimp Cocktail" consists of 4, 6, or 8 truly whole jumbo shrimp (think along the lines of 4"-5" long) plain poached shrimp with the horseradish-laced sauce served alongside for dipping.

How is it usually done in the U.K. that the addition of horseradish is a revelation?

I think your "shrimps" would be our "prawns" lol, although your food, shrimps, steaks, crabs etc are about 3 times the size of ours, I'm always amazed at the portion sizes they dish up in restaurants....I would love 4"-5" shrimps or prawns on my plate!! (if only)

This is usually how it's done in the UK...without the addition of Brandy, you'd only get that at a posh restaurant.

Prawn Cocktail Recipe | Food | Channel4.com

Yes, the interchangeable "shrimp/prawn" thing has been going on for ages - lol!! They're all "shrimp" over here, regardless of size, although some ethnic/Asian markets do designate the larger types as "prawns", & some areas of the coastal south & in the Caribbean sometimes call Langoustines (which really resemble miniature lobsters) as "prawns". It can get confusing, & I just find it easier to completely ignore the sematics & just enjoy the seafood - lol!!

I just noticed that while here in the U.S., if you order a basic "shrimp cocktail", you're normally served a basic tomato ketchup & horseradish sauce, recipes for shrimp (or prawn) cocktail in British-published cookbooks or British cooking shows (like Gordon Ramsay's) always show what looks & sounds like what we'd probably call a "Remoulade" sauce (basically a slightly spicy tomato-tweaked mayonnaise). Also noticed that while our cocktails are normally large plain shrimp with the sauce used just for dipping, the U.K. cocktails seem to use smaller shrimp that are combined with the sauce before serving.

I'll definitely have to try your recipe. Looks like it would make an excellent "shrimp salad" for an entree instead of just as a starter.

American "Shrimp Cocktail" with Red Cocktail Sauce

Your picture looks more like a "Shrimp Louis Salad" with Remoulade dressing to me.

Both are wonderful!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Attachments

• shrimp.jpg
    shrimp.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 368
shrimp with chipolte mayo

How about shrimp cocktails with honey chipolte mayo dipping sauce..had this one at a cocktail party recently.

Back
Top Bottom