"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pre-made lunch ideas?

Hello Everyone,

Here is my dilema. I've recently moved out from my parents house and live with my boyfriend. I need some ideas as to things that I can make say on a saturday when I have time and during the week simple take it out and throw it in the lunch bag. Like, is there anything that I can freeze and then later take to work? Or what can I make in a big batch then send off to work?

TIA!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Is there a microwave, regrigerator, or oven where you work? That would make a big difference in what you can take.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

At my work yes...at my boyfriends no fridge.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Well, for your work (you said there's a fridge, and I guess there's probably a microwave also), here are a few things I've made on the weekend and taken to work for lunches:
-sausage and peppers
-lasagne
-chicken and rice
-calzones (crust gets a little chewy, but still good)
-tuna salad
-chicken salad
-spaghetti
-grilled chicken w/ veggies (don't do mashed potatoes! the microwave really does a number on them)
-enchiladas w/ beans and/or rice

For your boyfriend:
-PB&J w/ chips and fruit
-bagels w/ something that doesn't require refrigeration

If there is a microwave at your boyfriend's work, he can take anything you make for yourself if he keeps it in an insulated lunch container with ice or one of those blue-ice things.

I hope this helps. I know there are more things you could do, but I typed everything that came immediately to mind.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

You can make soups, stews, chili, pasta sauce, burritos, enchiladas, lasagna, individually portioned casseroles, pot pies, to name a few, and take them to work to be reheated and enjoyed. I did it all the time when I worked.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

SUggestions are great, but what I really need is things that I can make in a batch and freeze...espeically for the boyfriend, cause I can always go out and grab something to eat but he can't. I need something that I don't have to pre-pare the night before.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Does your boyfriend have access to a microwave at work?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3_gurl
SUggestions are great, but what I really need is things that I can make in a batch and freeze...espeically for the boyfriend, cause I can always go out and grab something to eat but he can't. I need something that I don't have to pre-pare the night before.
I'm not sure I understand the distinction you are making here. Can you give an example?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Sorry Andy...I posted one minute before you...so I didn't even read your post :P Thanks for the tips...now let me be more difficult...some of these are great for dinner, how about more specific lunch ideas?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3_gurl
What has he been doing up till now?

If he doesn't have a microwave at work, then it won't do any good to give him something frozen. The stores now have small packages of canned tuna with a package of mayo and one of relish that come with crackers - he could also take bread and lettuce in an insulated lunch bag and make a sandwich. PB&J was also mentioned.

I frequently make extra servings of whatever I'm making for dinner and then package them individually to take for lunch the next day. My husband often travels between locations during the workday, so he carries fresh fruit and energy bars with him to snack on.