"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Chicken is in the oven sitting on some peeled whole young carrots acting as a trivet and the chix juices can baste them. Potatoes peeled and waiting their turn to cook.

Manchester United wins 4-zip. I 'd a put this part over in the tailgating/ sports thread but I'm not sure it gets read too much mid week.

Twiddling thumbs and about an hour to go. Open the Halloween candy bought two days ahead. What was I thinking !?!

I made a salad I can eat at my computer desk while I type. Find some music to turn up the volume with. I think I should move the bags of candy out to the garage or at least out of arm's reach. Thinking about it but not putting my shoes on. yet...

Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

We have lots of leftovers, so that will be dinner Probably will heat up the lasagna from Friday and some sauteéd vegetables. I'll have to see if I have bread in the freezer for garlic bread.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #33
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Ginger Garlic chicken tenders grill on the Kamodo Joe. Green beans and mashed taters on the side.

Ginger Garlic marinade...

2 TB garlic ginger paste (from the indian market)
2 TB Soy Sauce
2 TB White Wine
2 TB Honey
2 tsp vegetable oil

Whisk to form an emulsion and soak the chicken for 1/2 hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131029_190147.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	19272  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #34
Everymom

Thanks .40! C&Ped.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Thanks .40! C&Ped.
Me too! Thanks, . 40!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #36
Everymom

OMG! My lettuce wraps were stellar today! That sesame sauce is perfect with them.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I have similar thoughts Harry. And this is the right thread to discuss this. I think along these lines somedays when it seems I have too much food, make too much, more than I can eat, and Know someone else is not eating right or even sleeping in a comforatable bed at night.

There was a recent newspaper article, a McDonald's Mgr brought in a stack of forms so all their employees who qualifiy, could sign up for Food Stamps. Like this was a good thing to be commended for helping employees. Well, no. How about paying employees a livable wage.

Well, there are many ways of giving. Whether it involves hiring your unemployed family members or friends to do repair work or painting that you could perform yourself, but they won't take an offer of assistance itself, or finding ways that most directly impact the people who are in need.

With all that said, I am making some chicken ( with plans for the leftovers later in the week.) More mash potatoes and gravy. I think I like gravy. Roasted carrots. I bought some pears today too.
Re companies not paying a decent living wage - A lot of the problem is at the feet of those of us who want cheap food, clothing etc., not necessarily because we can't afford to pay more but because we want what we consider to be a bargain. We are shocked at accounts of sweat shops in the third world, starvation wages paid to Polish and other eastern European temporary workers employed in agriculture in Britain and the attitude of companies like McDs and Walmart to their employees but fail to associate this with our own consumerism. If we want to feed our desire for strawberries at £1.99 a pound and jeans for £10.00 a pair someone has to pay the price and it isn't us, the customers.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Another lazy day for me. I opened two packages of Tasty Bite curries - channa massal (chickpeas) and Jaipur vegetables (navratan korma). We added some of PepperMaster's Stingin' Scorpion sauce and it was really, really yummy. Served over reheated brown basmati rice. Carlsberg accompanied our meal.

I better buy some more of those Tasty Bite curries. They are yummy (but practically no heat) and all natural (made with food, no artificial colours, flavours, thickeners, or preservatives).
Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I have been doing voluntary work with St Michael's Hospice charity since January GQ. I picked that charity because they took such good care of my mother in her final few days. I'm not looking for work now, because I start my new job tomorrow.

As for today's dinner, I threw together a chicken, bacon and mushroom pasta dish which came out very well for a store-cupboard raid.
All the best for tomorrow, Katy.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Chicken is in the oven sitting on some peeled whole young carrots acting as a trivet and the chix juices can baste them. Potatoes peeled and waiting their turn to cook.

Manchester United wins 4-zip. I 'd a put this part over in the tailgating/ sports thread but I'm not sure it gets read too much mid week.

Twiddling thumbs and about an hour to go. Open the Halloween candy bought two days ahead. What was I thinking !?!

I made a salad I can eat at my computer desk while I type. Find some music to turn up the volume with. I think I should move the bags of candy out to the garage or at least out of arm's reach. Thinking about it but not putting my shoes on. yet...
ooh, thanks for reminding me. I need to get some Halloween candy.
I never get any trick or treaters, but that's good

Breakfast for dinner.
Home fries; bacon; Canadian bacon, tomato, mushroom and cheddar omelet; toast; beer Well, almost all breakfast food
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breakfast for dinner4.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	19273  

Tags
dinner