Stuff I want to like, but don't

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love sweets like everyone else, but sometimes you can bite into a cake where the icing is so sweet its hard to eat. Just like the filling of a commercial "SuzyQ" sandwich. Great flavor together with the chocolate, but wow..the filling is way to sweet.

most cereals, love kix, puffed rice, though.
scallops, soynut butter, :sick: (i used to eat big spoonfuls of that), pastries, cake & pie. brekkie foods. cool whip, blech!
liver. i have 1 of those already, thank you.

I can't stomach blue cheese of any variety. And I'm also against liver but I love foie gras. I'm also not big on sweets, esp. in the morning. Occasionally I will get a craving for cake, but no icing, thank you. And scallops are a sad story, I love them but I'm allerigic. I can eat all kinds of other shellfish but scallops give me a horrible reaction.

Katy - have you tried "dry pack" scallops? Because if not, it's extremely likely you could be allergic to the solution that all other scallops are steeped in. Any scallops sold that aren't clearly marked "DRY PACK" are soaked in a chemical solution meant to 1) keep them "white" & thus prolong their marketability, & 2) increase their weight, which means you're paying for all that chemical solution they've soaked up, which just leaches out into the pan when you cook them. Both sad & scary.

I never buy scallops unless they're marked "DRY PACK". Yes, they're more expensive, but I'm not consuming chemicals & am paying for the actual "meat", not added water solution.

Shellfish allergies are fairly common and not to be trifled with. In my opinion, it is more likely you are allergic to the scallops than the solution that is added to them. I would not risk using yourself as a guinea pig with dry scallops.

Of course, you should have yourself tested by an allergist to get to the truth.

roasted garlic

may be odd since I raise garlic....but I really don't care for the flavor and find the texture disgusting..

give me my garlic raw or cooked into a dish or with vegetable, but forget roasting it for me

and beets don't even make it on this list, I don't even want to like them..

Shellfish allergies are fairly common and not to be trifled with. In my opinion, it is more likely you are allergic to the scallops than the solution that is added to them. I would not risk using yourself as a guinea pig with dry scallops.

Of course, you should have yourself tested by an allergist to get to the truth.

I agree with you Andy, but only made mention of this possibility because the poster said that it's only scallops that give her a reaction - no other shellfish - which is unusual. Normally, shellfish-specific reactions concern shrimp, not mollusks. And if the poster can eat clams, oysters, crab, shrimp, & lobster without a problem, it might be worth it to ask her doctor if it could be the chemical solution added to scallops that she's sensitive too. I certainly wouldn't want her to just try it on my say-so.;)

I've found that my tastes change through the years. So does my DH. He never liked liver and onions and now he does. I used to like them and can barely handle them now. So every few years I'll try something I haven't had in a long time to see if I like it now. Or still hate it. LOL. Used to like Brussel sprouts. Yucko now.

I really wish I liked sushi - it seems like such an "in" thing. But I just don't. Blech. Does anybody really like it? Or do they just pretend to like it?

Karen - I LOVE sushi and often crave it...I mean I REALLY love it! No pretending here. What have you tried that you don't like and have you tried rolls with cooked ingredients versus raw ingredients?

Vicky, the raw ingredients are a real turnoff for me, so I haven't even tried those. I have had some with cooked ingredients, but it's possible that I just haven't had GOOD sushi. That will have to wait until my next trip north - I have seen a few sushi places here, but "international foods" here in Mexico often end up with strange ingredients. We had Chinese food the other night, and the egg rolls had poblano pepper strips in them. Good, but not exactly what we were expecting - LOL.

Vicky, the raw ingredients are a real turnoff for me, so I haven't even tried those.
I know the "ick factor" is hard to get over, but once you do there is no turning back. The raw fish type sushi is among the most amazing food I have ever had and I have tried a lot of different foods in my time. Like KE, I often CRAVE it. I am not talking about just a minor want. The cravings get so bad that it is all I can think of until I get some sushi. I swear I am like a drug addict when it comes to the stuff. when I get that craving (and it is pretty frequent) I will do anything for my fix.

Seriously though Karen, if you can get past the ick factor you will be so happy you tried. Raw fish is absolutely amazing.

Vicky, the raw ingredients are a real turnoff for me, so I haven't even tried those. I have had some with cooked ingredients, but it's possible that I just haven't had GOOD sushi. That will have to wait until my next trip north - I have seen a few sushi places here, but "international foods" here in Mexico often end up with strange ingredients. We had Chinese food the other night, and the egg rolls had poblano pepper strips in them. Good, but not exactly what we were expecting - LOL.

Because of my "gag reflex" I had trouble eating sushi even though I wanted to love it. It was just all too much between the raw, the rice and the nori. But then I found vegetarian rolls! Avacado, cucumber, asparagus, etc. They are smaller, have the rice on the inside and no large pieces of raw fish (I can eat salmon and tuna sashimi if I take small bites). So now I sushi with the best of them....my way! :LOL:

To be honest, the question just makes me wonder if there is something wrong with how I think. I've read all the responses, but when I consider the question, I don't think anything qualifies in my life.

If I specifically don't like something, why would I want to? I'll keep an open mind on something I don't like, and try someones different preparation as I know that makes (or can) a huge difference. But why would I *want* to like something if I don't?

Bob

To be honest, the question just makes me wonder if there is something wrong with how I think. I've read all the responses, but when I consider the question, I don't think anything qualifies in my life.

If I specifically don't like something, why would I want to? I'll keep an open mind on something I don't like, and try someones different preparation as I know that makes (or can) a huge difference. But why would I *want* to like something if I don't?

Bob

Stuff I want to like, but don't

Shrimp, while I don't really care for the taste, it is the texture that really turns me against it.

In my case: any gathering with shrimp seems to make it special, I am thinking because it is pricey. A big deal is always made about it and people just devour it with smiles on their faces. And it is healthier then a burger or hot dog.

But why would I *want* to like something if I don't?

Bob
I think the better question would be why wouldn't you want to like something that you currently do not like?

For me, I would want to like every single thing that I do not like. If I had to pick one thing though it would be eggs. I can't stand eggs in any way shape or form. That makes going out for breakfast very difficult. Next time you go out for breakfast take a look at how many options there are if you don't eat eggs. You will easily get rid of 90% of the menu.

i try things i dislike until i like them, until i at least tolerate them, because i'm not picky & choose to remain that way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom