"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #851
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The sweet potato pie was pretty fantastic! Yes there are some similarities to pumpkin pie, but I think that I may like this one a bit better! The texture was a bit less wet, it was spiced a bit different too. I'll definitely make this again!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #852
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This afternoon, SO made five dozen pecan cookie balls. These are a new favorite of mine.
I love love love those

Old 11-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #853
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We had unexpected visitors yesterday and since I had all the ingredients on hand I tested the recipe on them. It turned out nicely, but it's not what I would call a pie although it certainly was easy. The can of Redi Whip came in handy.
As a kid, we used to go down to the bog, grab a handful of cranberries and then take a comb out of the hive, peel back the wax and fill our mouth with honey. Cranberries are very sour. Did you find that to be so with this recipe?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #854
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As a kid, we used to go down to the bog, grab a handful of cranberries and then take a comb out of the hive, peel back the wax and fill our mouth with honey. Cranberries are very sour. Did you find that to be so with this recipe?
No, this recipe had just the right amount of sweet/sour Addie, and I'll make it again. That sounds like a lovely memory.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:24 AM   #855
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
No, this recipe had just the right amount of sweet/sour Addie, and I'll make it again. That sounds like a lovely memory.
I wonder how this recipe would work with dried cranberries. They have a natural sweetness when they are dried and require much less sugar.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #856
Master Chef

I guess it could work with dried cranberries Addie, but the fresh ones were sure pretty and juicy. I really like to use dried cranberries for lots of things but this wouldn't be one of them.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #857
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Next time put a wet cloth under the board and it will reduce all the moving on you.
I put a silpat silicone pan liner under my board
Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #858
Certified Pretend Chef

SO make a couple of pumpkin cake rolls. These are delicious and a much loved dessert in our family in the Fall.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #859
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
SO make a couple of pumpkin cake rolls. These are delicious and a much loved dessert in our family in the Fall.

I made two of them today, too, Andy! The small can of pumpkin is just the right size for two rolls.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #860
Cook

debating about trying to make some bread, again. Three attempts so far but haven't been able to get any activity out of the yeast, no rising happening. Played with the water temp the last time and no luck. I am thinking I will try and get the yeast active and then continue, one bag of flour is just about gone in my attempts.