"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #621
Chef Extraordinaire

Since I don't have an open fire to roast them in, I am going to be putting a pan of chestnuts in the oven today for just me to enjoy.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #622
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Waiting for the boys to arrive.

Here's a link to the divinity recipe:

Recipe Details

I've been meaning to make this since 2009. Finally! Hope it works.
CWS,

I was wondering if you have ever tried making Maple Divinity using eggs and syrup from the farm.

Maple Divinity - Recipe - Cooks.com

Old 12-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #623
Executive Chef

the recent stand by, Martha Stewarts' Banana Bread..
Old 12-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #624
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
the recent stand by, Martha Stewarts' Banana Bread..

and since I posted this..

a cherry pie
Old 12-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #625
Chef Extraordinaire

After I do a sink full of dirty dishes that The Pirate has left for me, (not complaining, he cooks for me) I intend to put together the dry ingredients for the chocolate cake and make the frosting. The frosting will going into a covered container and the dry ingredients into a zippy bag. That way the making of the cake will go much quicker. Christmas is creeping up a lot faster than I had noticed.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #626
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
CWS,

I was wondering if you have ever tried making Maple Divinity using eggs and syrup from the farm.

Maple Divinity - Recipe - Cooks.com
No I haven't, it's on my list!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #627
Chef Extraordinaire

We didn't get to the divinity. The boys were awesome. We made Knaeckerbrot (they had to use baker's percentage to figure out the recipe). I started them off by having them weigh a cup of sifted AP flour, a cup of flour, a cup of bread flour. They wanted to learn how to use a bread machine to make dough and since my bread machine requires 3-4 c flour, we went with that (by weight). Once they got the 100%, they then had to apply the formula to figure out how much yeast, etc., was needed. They both agreed that it was the most fun math they'd ever done. We also made krumkake--they had to weigh the eggs and then the ingredients (same weight butter, flour, sugar, and whipping cream as eggs). They also made Swedish peppernuts, but I had made the dough. The krumkake isn't perfect looking, but they taste WONDERFUL. They loved the knaeckerbrot. And the peppernuts were a hit, too. That was much fun. They wanted to know when they could back to learn how to make pie crust and the divinity. We had so much fun.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #628
Master Chef

Quote:
We didn't get to the divinity. The boys were awesome. We made Knaeckerbrot (they had to use baker's percentage to figure out the recipe). I started them off by having them weigh a cup of sifted AP flour, a cup of flour, a cup of bread flour. They wanted to learn how to use a bread machine to make dough and since my bread machine requires 3-4 c flour, we went with that (by weight). Once they got the 100%, they then had to apply the formula to figure out how much yeast, etc., was needed. They both agreed that it was the most fun math they'd ever done. We also made krumkake--they had to weigh the eggs and then the ingredients (same weight butter, flour, sugar, and whipping cream as eggs). They also made Swedish peppernuts, but I had made the dough. The krumkake isn't perfect looking, but they taste WONDERFUL. They loved the knaeckerbrot. And the peppernuts were a hit, too. That was much fun. They wanted to know when they could back to learn how to make pie crust and the divinity. We had so much fun.
The best part is that they get to eat their homework!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #629
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The best part is that they get to eat their homework!
Yup! I didn't give them a recipe, just the ingredients that were needed and the percentages for each. I also had them read about what each ingredient does re: bread. I think it is a math (and chemistry) lesson they will remember for a long time. Who said math wasn't fun?
Old 12-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #630
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
There is no better calling that teaching the young. They have learned something today that they can use throughout their life. And they have learned the love of cooking. Great Work CWS!!

Closed Thread

Tags
baking