What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really funny. Why not just call them homemade brownies?

I thought it was odd too.

All of the recipes used to be for items like Mom or Grandma made, now it is just like the ones in the box.

I suppose it could be a good idea to make a box style item for your family without any additives or preservatives.

I do that with oatmeal cookie dough. DH loves cookies, but after a couple days he wants a different flavor. Sometimes I freeze the finished cookies, but freezing the dough give a more fresh baked flavor.

DH is the only person I know who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies. He doesn't like chocolate, but likes white chocolate. One of these times when I think of it I will make a dozen or so with white chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet morsels. He would eat those.

So Addie, now you know "of" someone who does not like chocolate chip cookies.

You could also use butterscotch chips. Today there are all different flavored chips out there to try. Sometimes I mix them up. :angel:

Corn bread in the lid from my Mother's day gift from DD - Lodge L8DD3 Double Dutch Oven and Casserole with Skillet Cover, 5-Quart.

I LOVE IT!!

img_1364406_0_50cd586f41db67c1163b93c656bc9c6b.jpg

I made pot roast in it first then wiped the steam off the lid and baked the corn bread.

Orange cake with white chocolate

I'll a rookie in the kitchen and have been assigned as mum's cake baker for her birthday. I've chosen to do an orange cake and have this ambitious idea of somehow pouring melted white chocolate into the batter as it bakes.

I don't mean pour the whole lot in one go for obvious reasons but dribble some in, put the cake back in, pull it out 10 minutes later. Repeat. :yum:

Suggestions/comments anybody?

I'll a rookie in the kitchen and have been assigned as mum's cake baker for her birthday. I've chosen to do an orange cake and have this ambitious idea of somehow pouring melted white chocolate into the batter as it bakes.

I don't mean pour the whole lot in one go for obvious reasons but dribble some in, put the cake back in, pull it out 10 minutes later. Repeat. :yum:

Suggestions/comments anybody?

I would suggest you wait until the cake is fully baked and cooled. Then poke holes all over the top of the cake and then pour your melted white chocolate over the top slowly so it will have time to sink into the holes. To do it your way, will interrupt the process of baking. Every time you open that oven door, you lose heat and the cake will bake unevenly. It may also fail to rise. Or if it does it will do so unevenly. One side will be higher than the other. I can almost guarantee a failure if you do it your way. Sorry to be the one to give you such bad news, but I want the same thing you do. A lovely cake for Mom.

Also one more thing. Why not chocolate frosting? Chocolate and orange are a natural marriage of flavors. :angel:

Last edited:
Choice of chocolate

Mum can't have milk/dark chocolate because it gives her stomach pains. About my previous post; when should I pour the chocolate? Straight out of the oven or give it some cooling time first?

Orange cake batter with caramel mixed in?

Awww...that lemon loaf looks yummy.:yum:

For my orange cake I wish to give a hint of a caramel taste to it. I was thinking maybe making caramel over the stove, diluting/making it runny with a tablespoon of melted butter and mixing it into the batter before baking. I'm assuming I'd need to add a little extra SR flour so the cake isn't too 'heavy'.

Is it possible to add a caramel taste that way? How much would I need you think? (Cake to serve approx 6-10 people)

Awww...that lemon loaf looks yummy.:yum:

For my orange cake I wish to give a hint of a caramel taste to it. I was thinking maybe making caramel over the stove, diluting/making it runny with a tablespoon of melted butter and mixing it into the batter before baking. I'm assuming I'd need to add a little extra SR flour so the cake isn't too 'heavy'.

Is it possible to add a caramel taste that way? How much would I need you think? (Cake to serve approx 6-10 people)

Hi there,
How about a caramel glaze?

Baking is a science, in order for things to come out you have to carefully measure the ingredients. Adding extras disrupts that balance. Best to find a tried and true recipe that incorporates the flavors you want. Once the cake is baked, you can go wild with flavoring and decorating.

Too many flavours?

Orange cake with a hint of caramel, drizzled with white chocolate that had been melted with a nutty tasting clarified (pure butterfat) butter?

Does this sound like you would be able to taste each flavour, or end up with confused taste buds?

PrincessFiona60, what if I bake the orange as normal and pour orange/caramel tasting syrup into moderate to deep holes made with a skinny knife, and once that's had time to sink in, drizzled the cake with the nutty white chocolate.

But is that too many flavours??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom