What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No baking, no cooking this week. I took some time off from the kitchen this week. Thank goodness for cold cuts!

i finally made the lemon cream cheese scones. forgot scones are typically dry. these were not to bad. the cheese i guess. i would add way more zest to it, even though i brushed on lemon juice and sprinkled with sugar, they were not very lemony. can't post the recipe. if it sounds interesting to you pm me and i will send it to you.

No Knead bread. I used potato water (water left from cooking potatoes) instead of plain old water. Also used unbleached bread flour, salt , sugar and of course yeast.
I dislike bleached flour, to me, it gives a strange taste to the bread.

made ny bread. my yeast said expires in nov. i pushed it anyway. big mistake. crust so hard it can barely be chewed and loaf is flat. that is what i get for bing a smarty.
thats why i always proof first. i have kept yeast in the freezer and used it up to 2 years after expire date and it still proofed. i wonder why yours didn't work.

it was stored in fridg. but was a jar, silly me . way back when we were all so gung ho for the ny bread, i bought two jars. supposed the unopened has expired as well. will try to order a smaller amount . will follow your lead and freeze it.

I just bought a 1 pound brick of instant yeast, but then I have big plans for the next couple of weeks. I'll be experimenting with single rise doughs.

We are painting the wall on the stove side of our kitchen today so won't be able to bake until tonight. I have a cake order - A giant cupcake carved to look like a mushroom for a birthday - she absolutely hates mushrooms!

Comfort foods to go with the cold and snow. Brownsugar Banana Bread and big batch of brownies. Might make some gingerbread too, we shall see.

Just finished putting together a brioche bread pudding with walnuts and chocolate chips. For fun and to see how it will taste I grated the zest of several oranges into it. Will bake in the morning.
kadesma:)

Just finished putting together a brioche bread pudding with walnuts and chocolate chips. For fun and to see how it will taste I grated the zest of several oranges into it. Will bake in the morning.
kadesma:)

That sounds wonderful. It's so much fun and relaxing to get my breakfast ideas for Monday mornings from DC. I can just stop by the store on the way home in the morning.

Coffee is a perking, its COLD today so we will likely have omelettes. Got shaved turkey, several cheeses and a couple types of onion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom