"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
You are welcome to taste my food if . . .

you come and visit us at DaySpring Community Church in Columbus, GA tomorrow! I believe it would be quite a drive for some of you, but all are welcome. We always have home cooked meals for lunch after our sunday fellowship. The rule is cook for your family plus one and we always have plenty of leftovers. I believe that my mother in law is making meat loaf, potato salad, green beans and chocolate chip cake . . , yum. One of our dear ladies even brings fried chicken every Sunday. Between the fresh blueberry pie and hummingbird cake last week, I thought I would just pass out. Now maybe you know why i am attempting my Grandmothers cake. It's tough being one of the youngest cooks in this crowd - I'm 48 - since we don't expect the younger and working moms to cook.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
Senior Cook
If it's not too much trouble, will you pm me the recipes.My dh would really enjoy the cookies.
Today, I am working on NYT bread recipe and an orange chiffon cake.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #13
Executive Chef
sure, I'll pm it your way
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Mardi Gras

I am going to a Mardi Gras party tonite - I was in charge of the King Cake....so thats what I made this morning. They smell yummy!
Old 02-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef
great idea!!

one loaf of whole wheat bread, that is usually destined for dh's lunch box sandwiches'
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
Old 02-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
I made a banana loaf with plenty of flax seeds and I have a large casserole of baked beans cooking in the oven.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #17
Master Chef
I was very lazy today and bake a loaf of cranberry bread from a box of quick bread. It tasted pretty good, I am on my second slice.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
Old 02-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
nice thread idea..I made a fresh apple cake with granny snith apples, currants and walnuts, and just finish putting together Paula Deens, chocolate bread pudding for tomorrow, yesterday I made the p/b cookies I got the recipe for here on DC, just p/b,sugar and an egg, they are wonderful, but one caution bake them on parchment as they want to stick to your baking sheet even with cooking spray..That said, if you want you can melt some bittersweet chocolate and drizzle with a fork on the cooled cookies, they go like hot cakes
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
Old 02-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #19
Senior Cook
Hi Dina ~
Saw your request for a chocolate ganache for the chocolate fudge cake you are making. Here is a recipe that is easy and soooooo good. I use it to frost my favorite cake -- Blackout Cake.

Chocolate Ganache
18 oz. semisweet chocolate chips or semisweet or bittersweet chocolate bars, chopped (3 cups)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 TBS butter
1 tsp vanilla

In a 2-quart glass bowl, combine the chocolate chips and heavy cream. Heat in a microwave oven on High for 3 minutes or until melted and smooth when stirred. Str in butter and vanilla.

Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until ganache holds its shape and is thick enough to spread on the cake. Makes enough to fill and frost a 2 layer, 9 inch cake.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #20
Executive Chef
I made a quiche this morning and had an extra crust left over. So I was forced to make an apple pie with a crumbly oatmeal topping. It came out perfect. The best one in a long time. Aidan helped me out quite a bit with it. He told me I make pie like a samurai. lol.

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread

rye bread