What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
simonbaker,

I really like to make banana cream pie but, when I make it the banana slices turn black and watery if the pie is not served quickly. Do you have any secrets you could share that might help with this.

The only solution I have seen came from a diner in our area that makes a plain cream pie and tops each slice with half a banana at the time the customer orders. It works but, it seems like cheating to me. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks,
B
Dh is my pie maker but he told me he slices the banana's a little thicker. then puts them in a bowl of lemon juice & water ( approx. 4 c. water to 2 tbsp. lemon juice) leave them in there 3-5 minutes. Drain. Lay them out on a towel fold the towel over them & lightly pat dry. Layer the bottom of a pre-baked pie crust & put the filling over it. The pie is always good for 2 days in the cafe before we cannot serve it any longer. It usually always sells the first day. Hope this helps!

I just put pumpkin bars in the oven. Things should be smelling wonderful soon!

Turkey Stuffing Bread. My house smells like Thanksgiving already (Bread Machine Turkey Stuffing Bread Recipe from CDKitchen.com). I modified it for a 1.5 lb loaf, used ww and AP, added chopped cranberries, and used fresh herbs, buttermilk instead of milk. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly. I am baking it in the oven at 375. I used the bread machine to mix the dough because I have had about 6 other things on the stove/oven today.

I baked a few things today:

The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

(I used pastry instead of won ton wrappers and left out the black olives--made 1/2 batch). I give these a thumbs' up for ease of prep, cost, and taste.

I also made a patch of whole-wheat Parkerhouse rolls. I used my usual recipe

1 c warm water to which 4 T powdered buttermilk were added
1 egg
2 c ww flour
1 c AP flour
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
1 T butter

I do these in the bread machine. Liquid first, 1 c flour, salt, remaining flour. Make a well in the middle, sugar, yeast. Put 1/4 of the butter in each of the corners of the bread pan, dough setting. Grease a glass bread pan, roll dough into log, cut, brush between each piece, line up in pan, let rise 20 minutes, bake 18-22 min. at 350.

I also did my take on this gingerbread recipe:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/eat-cake-novel-amazing-gingerbread-cake-75163.html

I used 1T ginger, added some white pepper, 1-1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger, 1/2 c black Strap molasses, 1/2 fancy, 1/2 c Muscodavo sugar. Verdict--not dense enough, too cake like. I'll keep trying the recipes suggested. It is very good, but not what I had in mind re: finding a recipe similar to the one the DH's grandma made.

And that's all I baked today.

I have never tried a ginger cake...so I would go with that Acer :yum:

In saying that, the chocolate cake sounds yummy too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom