"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #2581
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm getting a late start but I've just put one of my Black Devil's Food cakes in the oven.

It's a bit weird living at two places at the moment. Glenn will be here (at my house) for dinner tomorrow night and I've been so busy closing the shop and getting things packed to move to his house that I have to live in two places at once.

The cake is beginning to smell really, really gooooood!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #2582
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
do you have a recipe posted? it sounds good. btw can the rum be omitted in the glaze? we love butter-pecan but the hub doesn't like "uncooked" liquor.
I don't have a recipe as such, I just use a butter-pecan cake mix and add vanilla pudding, sour cream and rum. There's more to it than that but I can't remember at the moment and my notes are at Glenns's house. As for the glaze, you can use rum extract instead. It'll achieve pretty much the same end taste.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #2583
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I don't have a recipe as such, I just use a butter-pecan cake mix and add vanilla pudding, sour cream and rum. There's more to it than that but I can't remember at the moment and my notes are at Glenns's house. As for the glaze, you can use rum extract instead. It'll achieve pretty much the same end taste.
thank you katie!!

and now i want your devils food cake!!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #2584
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I know what you mean. I'm going to have to exercise every bit of self-control I have to keep from cutting into it tonight. Glenn loves it, too, and will eat a big slab of it for dessert tomorrow night. I'm even going to slather on some creamy cocoa frosting. Gilding the lily, I know, but the "devil" made me do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
thank you katie!!

and now i want your devils food cake!!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #2585
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I know what you mean. I'm going to have to exercise every bit of self-control I have to keep from cutting into it tonight. Glenn loves it, too, and will eat a big slab of it for dessert tomorrow night. I'm even going to slather on some creamy cocoa frosting. Gilding the lily, I know, but the "devil" made me do it.
well look at that pic i gilded the daylights outta it!! LOL
Old 11-18-2009, 01:36 AM   #2586
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Baked up some ultimate brownies...will never be able to duplicate as I will not be buying semi-sweet chocolate again, only bittersweet. I find as I get older the less sugar I want and the darker my chocolate gets.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:54 AM   #2587
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Baked up some ultimate brownies...will never be able to duplicate as I will not be buying semi-sweet chocolate again, only bittersweet. I find as I get older the less sugar I want and the darker my chocolate gets.
Same here!
Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #2588
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I took a fennel bulb and chopped off the fronds, set them aside to dry out. I then sliced the bulb very thin and sauteed it in butter with pecans, sliced granny smiths, cinnamon and honey. Allowed it to cool. Rolled out some pizza dough I had and covered it with the saute and rolled it up and cut into 8 buns. In a 9x9 bake dish I spooned some of the leftover saute into the bottom and topped it with the buns. Allowed to rise for about an hour. Baked for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees, allowed to cool. Served topped with whipped cream. It was very yummy for dessert and not too sweet. I'm not sure what I will call it, but DH was very wary of it because of the fennel...it added a different texture than the mushy apples. He loved it!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #2589
Head Chef

just baked a batch of chewy brownies...the house smells heavenly...yumm
Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #2590
Everymom

I baked chocolate chip cake yesterday. Today will be something cookie, and tomorrow something chocolate to take to a meeting. Probably brownies as we need to serve lots of folks.

Closed Thread

Tags
rye bread