"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #2781
Master Chef

I have a bunch of favorite recipes in a book called "Simply Scones". I do use the one called "Classic" Cream Scones as a base and add my fruit and/or nut mixtures to it. I do add more liquid than called for to every recipe because the written recipe seems just too dry to me. I also use Nordic Ware cast aluminum scone pans, and I swear they are what makes the scones better than just baked on a tray.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #2782
Executive Chef

i usually make my whole wheat bread in a bread machine, but today I used my Kitchen Aid mixer to knead the dough, using a new to me recipe out of my new cookbook, King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking..and the brownies just came out of the oven, the directions say to let sit overnight to soften the bran, surely they jest..

Old 02-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #2783
Master Chef

They expect you to smell the brownies the entire time they're baking and make you WAIT? Or do you have to wait for the bread? Doesn't matter...same difference. Making you wait while smelling the yummies should be a capital crime!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #2784
Executive Chef

the recipe for the brownies say to wait until the next day to serve them...the recipe called for the KA Traditional Whole Wheat flour, which is a bread flour...I used ww pastry flour and have no intention of waiting
Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #2785
Master Chef

Italian long loaf , plan to make meatball subs with it.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #2786
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Nothing, simply waiting for my shipment from King Arthur Flour. I got the sourdough crock and a butter bell...getting anxious, even though I know the lovely UPS guy doesn't show up until well after 5 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #2787
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Once I get a starter viable and mature I might have to get the crock. :)

And I love my butter bell. How did I ever eat butter without one? I am thinking of getting a second one.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #2788
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
And I love my butter bell. How did I ever eat butter without one? I am thinking of getting a second one.
I just discovered butter bells about 3 months ago. KA has one at a reasonable price and since I'm a King Arthur geek...well...
Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #2789
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Mine is a Butter Bell brand. Got it for Christmas.

I have a burgundy one and want a blue one too... one for salted and one for unsalted butter.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #2790
Senior Cook

This morning I made a baked french toast for breakfast. It's a cross between normal french toast and bread pudding, baked with apples on top. A tasty treat on occasion. I shouldn't be baking in the early AM though...it's just not a good idea. I forgot to grease the dish, so I'm still scouring. At least it's in pyrex...can practically sandblast it without hurting the dish.

Tags
rye bread