What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Saphellae, that's just so perfectly gross. EXACTLY what a room full of 11-year-olds would love, especially the boys.

LOL!! They absolutely loved it. It was funny to see them digging through it for the turds!

I have two loaves of pumpkin/coconut bread in the oven...used a recipe (sort of) but substituted some ingredients and changed some. It smells wonderful baking, so if it turns out OK, I will have to write down what I did!

Suzi, I used a corning french white casserole, but I think it was to wide and long. My bread was spread out too much and therefore got a really tough crust and was flatter than I would have liked. But it tasted great!!! Garlic and chives sound great.

i am using a corning fench white round casserole, seems to be just about right.

babe:neutral::neutral:

Oh Saphellae, please answer the question that everyone wants to ask: PLEASE tell us that is a brand new litter box.....never been used, right? And tell us how you made it! The bits stuck on the tops and side really make it look authentic.

Actually, Lefse, he did answer you, it was just a the bottom of a big answer to my question with pictures. I have cut his reply to you out above.
Uff da. You know one of these days, I'm gonna learn how to read.
Thank you Laurie for coming to my rescue. Your eyes are fabbo!;)
And thanks JoeV for answering too. Just didn't see it is all...
Now what is meant by using parchment paper? Like when?
Do you put it in the already screaming hot vessel that the raw bread is going to go into? Or is the raw bread sitting on it so you just dump the whole thing in the vessel? See, I doooooooooooooooooooo need help:wacko:

Uff da. You know one of these days, I'm gonna learn how to read.
Thank you Laurie for coming to my rescue. Your eyes are fabbo!;)
And thanks JoeV for answering too. Just didn't see it is all...
Now what is meant by using parchment paper? Like when?
Do you put it in the already screaming hot vessel that the raw bread is going to go into? Or is the raw bread sitting on it so you just dump the whole thing in the vessel? See, I doooooooooooooooooooo need help:wacko:

You can put the whole thing in with the parchment paper.

I spray the parchment paper with some cooking spray, then put the "folded, not kneaded" dough/glop right on the paper to rise. Just leave the paper long enough to lay on top of the dough and put a towel over it to keep it warm and cozy. When the vessels are hot and the dough has doubled in size, just lift the whole thing by the paper edges and place it gently in the vessel and put the cover on. the paper may get a little brown, but you don't have to worry about it burning (if that concerns you).

Found a couple of proofing baskets today (wicker) at the Goodwill store for $.80 and $1.90 each to use with my La Cloche Oblong Baker when it arrives. I'll post pics of the whole sequence when it gets here so you can see how the parchment paper works.

Joe

I made some cranberry almond cake mix cookies using a yellow cake mix and they turned out really good. I used dried cranberries, slivered almonds and almond extract. They are part of dessert. I am going to get another batch of NYT bread started tonight for my MIL who is coming over to visit tomorrow. I am making some buttermilk buscuits for supper too.

OK, so I have to admit that I have NEVER made the NYT bread. Guess I am not a genuine DC'er. I have looked at the recipe - do I have to leave it on the counter to rise? 'Cause our room temp here greatly exceeds 70F - can I put it in the fridge instead and just leave it there longer? Has this already been discussed somewhere? I am getting jealous, looking at all this beautiful bread.....help.

OK, so I have to admit that I have NEVER made the NYT bread. Guess I am not a genuine DC'er. I have looked at the recipe - do I have to leave it on the counter to rise? 'Cause our room temp here greatly exceeds 70F - can I put it in the fridge instead and just leave it there longer? Has this already been discussed somewhere? I am getting jealous, looking at all this beautiful bread.....help.
Don't worry Karen, I haven't made it either.
All this talk about it makes me want to try though!

Don't put it in the fridge, Karen. Our house isn't air-conditioned and my upstairs (second floor) office was 94F today. I just put my NYT dough/slop, covered, in the "least hot" part of my house during the summer months. I won't tell you what gyrations I go through in the wintertime.

The dough is very forgiving and withstands abuse quite gracefully. I've abused it in ways I won't even say and it always comes out fabulously.

So....just get goin' and make yourself some.:LOL:

Last edited:
OK, Katie - I'll try it. What do I have to lose? A few cups of flour and ONLY a quarter teaspoon of yeast. I have a perfect cast iron dutch oven for it, and I'm pretty well stocked with parchment paper, and a friend bringing me some more from the US next week. Thanks for the quick answer!

ooooooooooh cinnamon rolls! Those are one of my all time favorites.

Karen, I've not tried the NYT bread either, but I'm with you...all this talk about it really is making me want to try it. I may wait, however for a couple of weeks, till the kids are out of school and the schedule goes back to the lazy days of summer :)

Karen, you are a genuine DC'er... not making the bread doesn't make you less of a DC'er. You're among friends here. :)
LadyCook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom