"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #4221
Head Chef

Today I made sour cream blueberry mini muffins for DH. He is somehow under the impression that blueberry muffins are better for his diabetes than cake. He just doesn't get the nutrition thing. Well at least the blueberries are good for him and I subbed splenda for some of the sugar. He'll never know.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #4222
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

My favorite guests dessert is the following;
A slice of pound cake (can be store bought)
Some pureed strawberry syrup ( made from pureed frozen strawberries in the blender)
A scoop of ice cream (strawberry or vanilla works just fine)
Whipped cream
Chocolate syrup
Repeat process. If you used strawberry ice cream for the first layer, use vanilla for this layer. Topped off with berry syrup, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup and sprinkles. This can be made with any in season berry.

Make the slice of pound cake thin. And the scoops of ice cream on the small side. This is a fillinig dessert.
OMG! You're making me hungry! Another great idea for berries. Last year I went Berry crazy. I'm going to have to start up another thread...(about berries)

Old 03-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #4223
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
OMG! You're making me hungry! Another great idea for berries. Last year I went Berry crazy. I'm going to have to start up another thread...(about berries)
This dessert can also be made using just frozen berries. One year my neice brought me a large pail of wild blueberries. I laid them out on a cookie sheet, froze them, them placed them in a ziplock bag. I was so happy. me!!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #4224
Chef Extraordinaire

Ruhbarb pie
Old 03-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #4225
Master Chef

I just pulled a loaf of bread out of the oven.

I used the Bimini bread recipe from a link in a recent thread. I do not know anything about Bimini bread but this loaf reminds me of a country Canadian, Scottish or Mennonite loaf. I am anxious to taste it tonight and also toast some tomorrow for breakfast.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #4226
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I just pulled a loaf of bread out of the oven.
Me, too. I'm making Dill Rye.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #4227
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Me, too. I'm making Dill Rye.

That is the best !

I buy mine from a small bakery near my home. They make loaves that are about three feet long and then you negotiate with the bakery clerk on how large a chunk you want and how you would like it sliced.

I cannot make it to my satisfaction at home. I can't get that shiny leathery crust and the moist dense crumb. Any secrets that you can share?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #4228
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I cannot make it to my satisfaction at home. I can't get that shiny leathery crust and the moist dense crumb. Any secrets that you can share?
This one wasn't one of my prettier rye loaves, but the flavor and texture is good. I've actually been working to lighten mine up a little, as it used to come out too heavy and dense for our tastes. You can play with the ratio of white to rye flour to change the texture. I like to use about 3-to-2 white to rye. For a denser crumb you could up the amount of rye.

As far as getting a shiny crust, an egg wash brushed on for the last 10-15 minutes of baking time will take care of that.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #4229
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
This one wasn't one of my prettier rye loaves, but the flavor and texture is good. I've actually been working to lighten mine up a little, as it used to come out too heavy and dense for our tastes. You can play with the ratio of white to rye flour to change the texture. I like to use about 3-to-2 white to rye. For a denser crumb you could up the amount of rye.

As far as getting a shiny crust, an egg wash brushed on for the last 10-15 minutes of baking time will take care of that.
Nice loaf of bread.

Thanks for the tips!

One last question, where do you buy your rye flour. I always wonder if the specialty flours in the grocery store have a fast enough turnover to keep them fresh.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #4230
Sous Chef

what are you baking today

I made sugar cookies like my Bubby (Grandma) used to make.....very plain and very yummy.....make them in the shape of a knot and sugar the tops.

Tags
rye bread