What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You just gave me a great idea Kades. I can use our seasonal peaches and nectarines for a nice dessert.
You know I think that would be great..There are some beautiful plums on the market and I'm thinking of making something with them and peaches..I love fooling around with all these ripe fruit..even if ya good you still have a tasty treat..
kades;)

Saturday is the church quarterly bake sale so I got a jump on my baking tonight. I made oatmeal-raisin cake cookies and a batch of Italian bread. DW reminded me that we have lots of seniors, so what about making smaller loaves of bread for them. Good idea (her ideas are ALL good ideas:LOL:), so I divided the dough into 4 piece and baked them on the pizza stone. Each loaf is just 3/4 lb. instead of 1-1/2 lb.

img_669706_0_316d290be1984fb2c5808dc4418609bf.jpg

Next time I'll just bake 2 small loaves at a time to get a better looking loaf. The oven spring was just amazing with this batch of dough. Of course, the kitchen is 82 F.

joe they are just beautiful. could i do them without a stone? if so what could i use?

babe:chef:
babe,

Yes you can. Just flip a baking (cookie) sheet upside down and bake it on that to maintain the free-form loaf.

Joe

The church bake sale contribution is done (thank goodness). After separating the 4 loaves shown above, they didn't look so bad, so I made another batch the same way and took my Basic White Bread recipe and divided the dough into thirds for three loaves of white bread at 1 lb. each. Along with the oatmeal-raisin cake cookies, I've had enough baking for a little while.

img_670036_0_243a653e6fc5a6b46ea60d79512c2575.jpg

JoeV

Joe, where did you buy the bags for the bread ?

Got them at my local restaurant supply. I had to buy 1,000 bags, but can't remember the price. I think it was around $26. Check your local suppliers and see if they would sell you a smaller quantity. These are 5x4x15" 1# bread bag 1.5 mil thick. There are NOT twist ties with the bags. You have to find them elsewhere. A friend gave me a couple hundred she had, but they go quickly.

Here's an online source for about the same price. If you can get a couple people to go in on them, you can split the cost. I did that with a couple of local bakers, and got rid of half the case.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/38/CLID/2075/N/82421/Bread_Bags.htm

Joe

Got them at my local restaurant supply. I had to buy 1,000 bags, but can't remember the price. I think it was around $26. Check your local suppliers and see if they would sell you a smaller quantity. These are 5x4x15" 1# bread bag 1.5 mil thick. There are NOT twist ties with the bags. You have to find them elsewhere. A friend gave me a couple hundred she had, but they go quickly.

Here's an online source for about the same price. If you can get a couple people to go in on them, you can split the cost. I did that with a couple of local bakers, and got rid of half the case.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/38/CLID/2075/N/82421/Bread_Bags.htm

Joe

thanks , Joe.

I've been good for a few days not baking anything. Tonight, I'll bake another apple crostata with a sugar/cinnamon glazed top.

Baked a lasagna. LOLOLOLOL! Its the first thing I've baked in ages because its been too hot to put the oven on. Its raining now and cool. I think I will go put a chocolate chip cake in the oven. Mmmmmmmm.

Made a loaf of french bread and have dough in refrigerator for more tomorrow.
kadesma

Made up a batch of basic white bread dough. I'll be trying my hand at Cinnamon Raisin Bread for the first time, and sausage bread using Italian Abruzzese dried sausage instead of pepperoni. Also have a batch of NYT Cinnamon Raisin bread on the counter to bake in the morning. This is also a first time bake. I documented each in case they turn out good, so I can do them again. Will post results later.

Baking today

Today our weather was cool, so I decided to bake a chocolate cake from scratch and put peanut butter icing on it, then the idea of Irish Soda Bread entered my mind and I did that because we are having Chilli for supper and I thought it would make for good (SOPPING) does any one know what I mean?

Today our weather was cool, so I decided to bake a chocolate cake from scratch and put peanut butter icing on it, then the idea of Irish Soda Bread entered my mind and I did that because we are having Chilli for supper and I thought it would make for good (SOPPING) does any one know what I mean?

I come from a looooooonnnnggg line of SOPPERS!:LOL: Yup, I know whatcha mean.

baked custard

and there is a story behind it

In Jan 08 i bought 24 vanilla beans and a half gallon of vodka, to make my own vanilla extract. At the last weekly shake, I noticed the lid on the Vodka bottle would no longer screw on tight. So a few days ago I transferred the concoction to a half gallon canning jar. But there was an annoyingly large amount of vanilla seeds stuck in the bottom of the bottle. So I added a quart of milk to the bottle and stuck it in the frig. And tonight I am using that milk, as well as some of the home brew extract, in a baked custard..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom