What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finished off the Fish and Chips from last night. Then a couple of toasted English muffins with coffee.

Take-out containers now are a paper product. Just popped that into the micro to heat up the fish n chips. Worked fine, just not crisp as original but still very tasty - soft but not soggy.

Milk fats - Wikipedia This is a good read for the different milk fats in milk.
United Kingdom has an interesting milk called 'Channel Island Milk' or breakfast milk at 5%.
Here (Canada) the breakdown is roughly as follows:
Whole milk is at 3.25%
then comes the - 2% - 1% - 0%
Half n Half (arf'n arf) is 10.5% to 18%
Table Cream is 18% to 30%
Whipping Cream is 35%

I also thought there was something in the 40%+? but don't really see that "heavy cream" anymore. I know Jersey cows are great for that extra creaminess.

Mom used to get the 10% as Coffee Cream but now-a-days 'Coffee Cream' is a processed milk food with oils and other ingredients (not even sure if there is any milk it it!)

Forgot and just found Buttermilk is anywhere between 6% and 20%.
I use buttermilk pretty regularly. There is a small local dairy that distributes it in our local grocery stores. I have made my own a few times, but I use almond milk for my cereal so I don't keep regular milk on hand too often.

My DH's breakfast of creamy grits with sharp cheddar cheese, turkey breast, bacon, and eggs. I cook his grits 2 minutes longer than recommended so they're not so, er, gritty, and I cook them with half n half and water so they're super smooth and creamy.

20240210_134156.jpg

Milk fats - Wikipedia This is a good read for the different milk fats in milk.
United Kingdom has an interesting milk called 'Channel Island Milk' or breakfast milk at 5%.
Here (Canada) the breakdown is roughly as follows:
Whole milk is at 3.25%
then comes the - 2% - 1% - 0%
Half n Half (arf'n arf) is 10.5% to 18%
Table Cream is 18% to 30%
Whipping Cream is 35%

I also thought there was something in the 40%+? but don't really see that "heavy cream" anymore. I know Jersey cows are great for that extra creaminess.

Mom used to get the 10% as Coffee Cream but now-a-days 'Coffee Cream' is a processed milk food with oils and other ingredients (not even sure if there is any milk it it!)

Forgot and just found Buttermilk is anywhere between 6% and 20%.
I'm going to get nit picky. I have never seen 3.25% milk, here in Canada, that was called "whole milk". The label says "homogenized". When I have seen a label that says "whole milk", it is on organic milk at 3.8% milk fat. I first noticed that about 35 years ago.

I'm going to get nit picky. I have never seen 3.25% milk, here in Canada, that was called "whole milk". The label says "homogenized". When I have seen a label that says "whole milk", it is on organic milk at 3.8% milk fat. I first noticed that about 35 years ago.
We have skim, 1%, 2%, and whole milk...no idea the fat percentage of our whole milk in the US. Might have to google that.

Edit: Google says 3.25% for whole milk.

In the UK we generally have:

Full fat (whole) milk
Semi-skimmed (the one I generally use)
Skimmed - which is slightly milky looking water and completely pointless if you ask me... ahem. :whistling
(There is also buttermilk for baking of course.)

Whole milk fat content must have 3.25% and up to 3.5% which is actually closest to the actual content of fat that comes from most cows.

Been a long time since I've bought whole milk so I'd been using the 3.25% which I believe was on the bags in the 70's and 80's. Producers are allowed the .25% difference as different breeds of cows produce different quantities of fat. IMHO
I too, would probably list the lower amount of fat content. Perhaps they should have labeled it "MAY CONTAIN UP TO 3.5% MILK FAT" like is done on many labels that say "may contain" some trace element of something.
:LOL: I'm not going to shoot my cow if she cannot produce that tiny fraction of one quarter % of fat!

taxy! -:rolleyes: you know darn well I'm going to paw (hoof?) my way thru :shifty: all the milk containers at the grocers, don't you! :ROFLMAO: just to find out they've changed it since 60 years ago!?!?!?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I recently bought some Sourdough English Muffins and they are really tasty! My breakfast this morning is going to be Toasted English Muffins with perhaps 3 Quail eggs over easy.

Have no idea why I sometimes go and pay extra for Quail eggs other than they are so darn cute! I hard boiled a batch to halve and place on top of the pasta chicken salad the other day. Cute! not easy to peel those tiny little suckers tho.

Today for Sunday brunch I had chicken fried steak; basted eggs; country hash browns; pineapple, cantaloupe, and orange fruit salad; and mimosas.

I baked some buttermilk biscuits, and had them with honey butter. A cold glass of organic 2% milk to wash it down.

CD

In the UK we generally have:

Full fat (whole) milk
Semi-skimmed (the one I generally use)
Skimmed - which is slightly milky looking water and completely pointless if you ask me... ahem. :whistling
(There is also buttermilk for baking of course.)
Agreed. My MIL uses skimmed milk, it's awful tasting.

When I was a kid, we drank skim milk all the time. We used homogenized whole milk for breakfast cereal and my mum put it in her coffee some times. I really preferred the skimmed milk. The whole milk was okay, but I found it a bit greasy.

I feel for me, the ideal halfway house is the Semi-skimmed. Still tastes like milk, but without the greasy effect.

Same here, 2% all the way. Don't like whole milk even in coffee and NEVER cream in coffee. Used to tease a friend who always had coffee cream -I called it her coffee cardboard!

I did this again. It looks a mess but hubby says it's wonderful. I used Kerry Gold Irish butter and a bit of beef stock (and flour of course), along with heavy cream and 1/2n1/2 in my roux. This time I sauteed a little shallot with the mushrooms. Hubby wanted 3 eggs today.
View attachment 67861
It's S*** on a Shingle, is it not? There's no way for it not to look a mess! 🤣

Back
Top Bottom