What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks @dragnlaw , one of the brands was Kerrygold, like @Jusa just mentioned, I've just found out that it's actually Irish. I'm not surprised, considering their great pastures. The other one is Lurpak, which is actually made from Danish milk but also made in UK.
Do you have Aldi stores? I know they're in some parts of Europe (they're German as you probably know). They've got an Irish butter that's really good.

Yeah I have heard of people using that awful stuff in the can before, but it never happened in my house. My mom did like those weird potted meats and she liked tinned smoked oysters and sardines. I couldn't stand that stuff, LOL.

I don't want to offend canned meat lovers, but I've always regarded that "canned meat stuff" as terrible too! Corned beef and spam were my "pet hates" (I think we used to use this expression in UK🙄). They used to put them in school dinners which I hated anyway, except for the puddings😜.
Tinned tuna/salmon/mackerel are fine with me, tuna and cucumber sandwiches used to be one of my favourites during my lunch break at my office job.
As a child, I remember eating spaghetti rings in cans🤔. I liked those, I doubt I would now😁!
I loved baked beans on toast, too. I saw them once here in a big supermarket, in another city, but I wasn't tempted to buy them. Tastes do change I suppose😀...

Do you have Aldi stores? I know they're in some parts of Europe (they're German as you probably know). They've got an Irish butter that's really good.

There are only a few Aldi stores here, spread across the country, in large shopping centres, far from where I live. I think they only reached here a few years ago, we'll probably find new stores opening up soon.
We have many Lidl stores (also German origins), which has become popular all over Europe, for its reasonable prices and good quality products. I've tried their butter which is good and it's also made in Ireland but packaged in Germany.

There are only a few Aldi stores here, spread across the country, in large shopping centres, far from where I live. I think they only reached here a few years ago, we'll probably find new stores opening up soon.
We have many Lidl stores (also German origins), which has become popular all over Europe, for its reasonable prices and good quality products. I've tried their butter which is good and it's also made in Ireland but packaged in Germany.
Yes! Lidl has made it to the US but unfortunately not to my area yet. I hear it's a really nice store.

My Dad loved canned sardines and often took them as a sandwich. I'm sure he would have happily eaten them for breakfast!
Mom and big bro also loved them. While my bro lived with me the first rule was OK to eat them BUT that can needs to be washed out with soap before you leave the kitchen!

Yeah I have heard of people using that awful stuff in the can before, but it never happened in my house. My mom did like those weird potted meats and she liked tinned smoked oysters and sardines. I couldn't stand that stuff, LOL.
I don't find it as bad as canned whole chicken or ham.

I don't find it as bad as canned whole chicken or ham.
I never like much in the way of canned neats except for tuna. I like the pouched stuff too and will get it when on sale for $1. I saw some smoked salmon in pouches not long ago and bought 1. It wasn't bad.

I never like much in the way of canned neats except for tuna. I like the pouched stuff too and will get it when on sale for $1. I saw some smoked salmon in pouches not long ago and bought 1. It wasn't bad.
I'm not big on canned meat either, but some canned seafood is okay: tuna, smoked oysters (some brands), sardines, anchovies (but I usually get those in a jar or a tube), and kippers. There might be others that I can't think of at the moment. I don't eat cooked salmon, so I don't eat the stuff out of a can.

Last edited:
I'm not big on canned meat either, but some canned seafood is okay: tuna, smoked oysters (some brands), sardines, anchovies (but I usually get those in a jar or a tube), and kippers. There might be others that I can't think of at the moment. I don't eat cooked salmon, so I don't eat the stuff out of a can.
Yeah I do like fresh cooked salmon and the hot smoked refrigerated stuff. And sushi!

I made pancakes with a batter that included quick oats, flour, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, vanilla, egg, and mashed banana. I served it with fresh strawberries and drizzle of maple syrup/honey.
20240206_130346.jpg
20240206_131847.jpg

I need to move the cereal in my pantry to a more prominent place. I keep forgetting it is there.

For a short time, Cheerios offered a Maple flavor, but dropped it. Then Chex offered one, and dropped it. Am I the only person in the country that likes Maple flavored cereals?

CD

UPDATE: I bought some plain Corn Chex, put some in a bowl this morning, drizzles a little real maple syrup on it, stirred it and added my milk. It worked!!! It tastes just like the Maple Chex I can't buy anymore. (y)

CD

We had prime rib last night with cheesy garlic mashed potatoes. I made a potato pancake with the mashed potatoes, sliced some prime rib, and fried 2 over medium eggs for DH. He enjoyed it immensely!
20240207_124608.jpg

20240207_124708.jpg

Meryl, unless you own the company mentioned, or are an employee making a pitch for them, you can mention brand names. Some times it is interesting to non-residents to hear about stock of other places. What is popular with them, etc.
Sometimes visitors/tourists like to know what is what. No harm there.
Phew! That's a relief - I mention brands from time to time! :whistling

Have to say was extremely lucky in that my parents never forced us to eat what we didn't want/like. Part of the luck could be that my mom would only cook what we would eat.
But I hated fish, mushrooms, liver, wild duck, wild goose which as they loved fishing and hunting was a blessing.
Me too Dragn. I was a very picky child but my mum never made a fuss or forced me to finish my plate or eat things I didn't like. Over the years, I tried new things. Now I like a wide variety of foods and still love to try new things.

Me too Dragn. I was a very picky child but my mum never made a fuss or forced me to finish my plate or eat things I didn't like. Over the years, I tried new things. Now I like a wide variety of foods and still love to try new things.
You both had nice mums. Mine would make me sit until I fell asleep in my plate, which happened with liver and onions once. That's the last time she ever tried to make me eat it though. With my brother it was cottage cheese, and he ate it and then regurgitated it, so I can't eat it now because of seeing that!

There was so much drama and aggression going on in our home, none of us kids was a picky eater. Eat and run!

My breakfast, my favorite lately. Fermented rolled 8 grains w/blueberries and carrot slaw.
carrotslawgrains-002.jpg

Microwave 2-4 minutes, top with ground flax/chia seeds and cinnamon. YUM.
carrotslawgrains-006.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom