What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is "1/2n1/2"?

BTW, that food looks very inviting. It looks like it would taste good.
Sorry. Half and half.

It's 2:30 pm so time for my breakfast (1 egg, 1 piece of toast covered in creamed chipped beef).

20240204_143323.jpg

Is "chipped beef" corned beef from the can? That's always what I thought it was.
Needless to say I've never had it - or at least not to my knowledge. I know my mum used corned beef from the can but for the life of me I can't remember what recipe she used it in.

Is "chipped beef" corned beef from the can? That's always what I thought it was.
Needless to say I've never had it - or at least not to my knowledge. I know my mum used corned beef from the can but for the life of me I can't remember what recipe she used it in.

Not sure, but my mom used that deli-style corned beef from Buddig. My dad loved it, therefore my sister and I had to eat it, and clean our plates, no matter how much it made us wretch. Mom's rules –– your dad loves it, so you will love it!!! No exceptions!!! :ROFLMAO:

CD

No it's not. It's thinly sliced, dried, salted beef. Creamed chipped beef is chipped beef served in a cream sauce, usually over toast.

It was a nostalgic favorite of myEx's. When she made it, it was so salty as to be inedible. I could not suggest soaking the beef to extract some salt because 'what did I know?'

Have to say was extremely lucky in that my parents never forced us to eat what we didn't want/like. Part of the luck could be that my mom would only cook what we would eat.
But I hated fish, mushrooms, liver, wild duck, wild goose which as they loved fishing and hunting was a blessing.

I had never eaten it in all of my years (I am over 60) until 2 days ago. I bought this stuff in pouches in the refrigerated section (the middle one of course):
1707080333185.jpeg

Now I know it also comes shelf-stable dried in a jar, which I have never tried. I couldn't find an image that was in the proper format where the DC site would allow me to post it.

Have to say was extremely lucky in that my parents never forced us to eat what we didn't want/like. Part of the luck could be that my mom would only cook what we would eat.
But I hated fish, mushrooms, liver, wild duck, wild goose which as they loved fishing and hunting was a blessing.

I don't think my dad cared if we didn't eat what he liked. It was my mom's rule.

I hated a lot of things as a kid that I love as an adult. The main reason is that my mom overcooked EVERYTHING! She learned that from her mom, who grew up at a time when overcooking food was done for "food safety" reasons.

CD

Nah, taxy, when my mom made hash (usually Mon. night's dinner) it was always with the left over roast beef from Sunday. I used to be very happy to hand her the chunks of beef, onions, potatoes to put thru the grinder. I wasn't allowed to push them in - and I learned why when I was older :whistling . She made the best derned hash this side of the Rockies!

Chipped beef and corned beef don't seem at all similar to me. I think your mum probably made corned beef hash with the canned corned beef.
Yeah I have heard of people using that awful stuff in the can before, but it never happened in my house. My mom did like those weird potted meats and she liked tinned smoked oysters and sardines. I couldn't stand that stuff, LOL.

Do you still hate mushrooms? I think you like fish, right?

Yes, it took me 'till my 20's to like mushrooms. Started liking canned and took me 20 more years to like fresh. Now I have them almost every day!
Fish, same thing but I was well into my 30's and only due to my BIL's Jamaican influence. He has fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner! LOL.
Also very particular about fish. Easy to put me off. Very mild only. Salmon is OK, but better be cooked all the way thru! If you serve me tuna it had better come from a can!

Yes, it took me 'till my 20's to like mushrooms. Started liking canned and took me 20 more years to like fresh. Now I have them almost every day!
Fish, same thing but I was well into my 30's and only due to my BIL's Jamaican influence. He has fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner! LOL.
Also very particular about fish. Easy to put me off. Very mild only. Salmon is OK, but better be cooked all the way thru! If you serve me tuna it had better come from a can!
I do like fresh tuna steaks!

There are some interesting conversations starting here, like cooking tuna (or not cooking it), and cream chipped beef, AKA: SOS. I was about to post a reply, but the mods may not be happy about this thread going off topic. I did a quick search, but did not see threads with these topics. Did I miss something, or do we need to start new threads?

1707096397668.jpeg

CD :D

Last edited:
Meryl, unless you own the company mentioned, or are an employee making a pitch for them, you can mention brand names. Some times it is interesting to non-residents to hear about stock of other places. What is popular with them, etc.
Sometimes visitors/tourists like to know what is what. No harm there.
Thanks @dragnlaw , one of the brands was Kerrygold, like @Jusa just mentioned, I've just found out that it's actually Irish. I'm not surprised, considering their great pastures. The other one is Lurpak, which is actually made from Danish milk but also made in UK.

Back
Top Bottom