What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently bought some Hunt's Mixed Fruit Jelly, .05 oz restaurant size packets. 30 at 18 cents a packet or something.

It's also called All Fruit Jelly. It's Apple, Cherry and Grape mixed together.

I tried shopping for Smuckers All Fruit locally, no luck anywhere. Only place was online for $18. Wow, surprising I couldn't locate a jar of it.

So I got me 30 restaurant packets of mixed/all fruit jelly.

Last edited:
Sunday is when I try to serve something other than weekday run-of-the-mill breakfast. Tried something new this morning and am very happy how it turned out.

We had baked bacon/egg omelets in muffin cups. What I did was to line 4 cups of a deep 6-cup silicone muffin pan with uncooked bacon, then beat up some eggs to which I added chopped green bell pepper and shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a tiny bit of salt. Poured the egg mixture into the bacon-lined muffin cups and baked at 350F for about 30 minutes or until the eggs were set. Yummy and they slid right out of the pan like a dream.

Along with the omelets we had sliced fresh pineapple, homemade biscuits with butter and honey, orange juice and coffee. We probably won't need any lunch.

I had Poilane (artisan sour dough) bread, toasted....do you get that in US? - with goose rillette. Oh and an organic soft boiled egg with soldiers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two eggs, gently cooked in butter, sunny-side-up, then steamed by adding a couple tbs. of water to the pan, and covered, to set the top, like a yummy, perfectly poached egg, but buttery. Slide the eggs on top of whole wheat toast. Yum. Follow up with a glass of ice-cold whole milk.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

002.jpg 003.JPG

DH's breakfast of Taylor's Ham
(or some folks in NJ call this Pork Roll)
scrambled eggs
diced tomato
Rye toast, no butter please

The first time I tried Taylor's Ham, DH's favorite breakfast meat,
I said, hmmm, looks like Spam, taste like Spam, I think I like
Spam better though.
You'da thought I'd committed one the worst sins ever,
DH went crazy, "WHAT?!"
:shrug: sorry
When we still lived in Hawaii and would go 'back East' to visit,
we'd stop in the grocery store and buy as many of these as we
could afford, freeze them, wrap them in tin foil and newspaper and
stash them in our suitcases.
But since moving to mainland, I can't believe the price hike, WOW!
$11.99
it was $6.99 7 years ago...

I can cook, bake, saute, stew, braise, barbecue, roast, fry just about anything/everything, but I'm still on my lifelong quest of making good biscuits.

So, in view of that, we had some of my latest attempt for breakfast this morning. The biscuits were mediocre at best but were okay with butter and honey or molasses, which proves we can eat failures, too.

Next....

I had shop bought hummus that I added my home made harissa paste to. With carrot and toast.

Last edited:
I can cook, bake, saute, stew, braise, barbecue, roast, fry just about anything/everything, but I'm still on my lifelong quest of making good biscuits.

So, in view of that, we had some of my latest attempt for breakfast this morning. The biscuits were mediocre at best but were okay with butter and honey or molasses, which proves we can eat failures, too.

Next....

I had often heard, "do not twist the cutter". It seems to press the sides down so they don't rise as high. So one day (habits are hard to break) I didn't twist the cutter. As much as I wanted to. If the dough stuck in the cutter, I just pushed it out with my fingers. Boy, are those folks right. Now my biscuits rise nice and high and are really light. I just had a bowl filled with flour and dipped the cutter in it until the whole cutter was covered. And one time I sprayed the cutter first before I dipped it in flour. That made the flour stick to the cutter even more. So now I give the cutter a quick spray with Pam and have a full bowl of flour handy for dipping. Just dipping the edge in flour is not enough. You need to dip the whole cutter in flour.

Keep at it. You will make it you best dish yet.

I also do not roll or pat our the dough to thin. That too can make a biscuit fail to rise to what you see in pictures. :angel:

Next....

Biscuits Recipe:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

3 cups AP Flour
2 tbs. double-acting baking powder
9 tbs. cooking oil
3 large egg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk

Combine all ingredients until just mixed. Do not over-mix.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Dust a work surface with flour and pat the dough into a disk. place the dough disk onto the work surface, and dust the top of the dough. Roll to 1/2 inch thick. Dip a glass into the flour, or use a biscuit cutter to cut the dough into 2 inch rounds. Stack the rounds to make a double layer and place on the parchment paper. Bake for twenty minutes, or golden brown. Remove and place onto a cooling rack. Serve warm with softened butter.

If this doesn't work for you, purchase Pillsbury Grandes.:LOL:

Ok, here's a second recipe, this one for buttermilk biscuits. It's also very good, light and fluffy.

Preheat oven to 425' F.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 and 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/3 cup lard, or shortening, chilled and cut into bits
2 tbs. butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Cut in the lard or shortening to make pea-gravel sized nuggets. Fold in the buttermilk until all is moistened. let sit for 5 mintues or so.

Flour the working surface, apt the dough into a disk, flour the top of the disk, and roll to half-inch thickness. Cut into 2 inch rounds, palce on parchment paper lined cookie sheets, and bake until golden brown (about 15 to 25 minutes). Dip the biscuit tops into the melted butter and serve.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Boyfriend keeps having early mornings with no time for his usual sit down breakfast cooked by me, so I made a big batch of breakfast sandwiches and I've been stealing from the stash in the fridge! English muffins, scrambled eggs, and bacon. They're delicious, portable, and reheat great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boyfriend keeps having early mornings with no time for his usual sit down breakfast cooked by me, so I made a big batch of breakfast sandwiches and I've been stealing from the stash in the fridge! English muffins, scrambled eggs, and bacon. They're delicious, portable, and reheat great!

Have you considered getting up ahead of him and heating one up so he can eat it on the go? You can also buy him a portable cup for his morning cup of coffee. Or without his knowledge, set the alarm clock 15 minutes ahead of when he usually gets up. I know it all sneaky, but if it works, then that is what counts. At least he is getting some nourishment into him. :angel:

Have you considered getting up ahead of him and heating one up so he can eat it on the go? You can also buy him a portable cup for his morning cup of coffee. Or without his knowledge, set the alarm clock 15 minutes ahead of when he usually gets up. I know it all sneaky, but if it works, then that is what counts. At least he is getting some nourishment into him. :angel:

Haha I figure if I put them all together he can get up and throw them in the microwave! He's got a portable mug. Generally I get up with him but we are talking 5 am departure times for steelhead/salmon fishing trips! Not happening [emoji23]. He usually grabs two, pops them in the microwave, and is on his way!

I do the same for my BF. But we both don't like to eat when we 1st get up. So I make his lunch the night before and if I feel like making him something special I will make him a breakfast sandwich or burrito while he is showering to eat when he gets to work. I have a 50/50 chance of keeping eggs down (stomach issues again /sigh) and have to have a high protein diet and the ONLY way I can stomach a protein shake is mixing it with coffee. So I add a scoop of protein powder to my coffee every morning I think I can keep it down...about 3-4 days out of the week...better than nothing right??

Saturday Brunch
001.JPG
Leftover New York Strip steak from the other night
scrambled eggs
Yukon Gold Home fries
Rye toast and diced Tomato out of camera range
We can't go into town today, the roads are blocked off,
so we'll just have a big late breakfast
and do more prep work for next week

Last edited:
PIE!

"Someone" bought a pumpkin pie...

YUM!
Can I come over to your house?
No one else in my family likes Pumpkin pie, but me.
I could eat that for each meal, it's got a`coupla of
the food groups covered, right?
You've got your serving (maybe more ;)) of fruit
eggs (protein)
milk/cream (3 a day dairy)
That's sounds like a perfect start to the day,
a cuppa joe and your set!

Back
Top Bottom