What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had brunch at around 1 p.m., LOL. I had leftover chicken fajita mixture (chicken breast, red bell peppers, jalapenos, onion) with cheddar cheese on a soft flour tortilla with some scrambled eggs. I mixed sour cream with my eggs while beating the eggs to make them super tender and fluffy, plus it makes for a less messy wrap. I also add the cheese to the fajita mixture when it's heating to help it bind. It was super good.

Lunch was a salad and some fruit cocktail.

salad_090523_IMG_1529.jpg

I saw my beets in the garden were looking pretty good. I picked a handful of beet greens for myself, washed and then microwaved them. Served with vinegar and no-salt, beans and rice with a little salsa on them. (1 cup beans/1 cup rice)
With the cost of dry beans and rice around $1.25/lb. 1 lb of rice cooked and 1 lb of beans cooked is 7 qts of beans and rice. My serving cost $0.10/cup, so $0.20 for lunch. I eat some beans or rice everyday in one thing or another, sometimes together.
The trick for me is to have them cooked and frozen or refrigerator so I don't have to actually cook, just warm it up, when I'm hungry.

For lunch today I am having something I haven't had since the late 60s. French fries and gravy.

When I was a teenager, all of the late night/24hour coffee shop type restaurants served French fries and gravy. In those days a lot of Canadians came across the border on week-ends because the drinking age in NY was 18 and in Ontario it was 21, and it wasn't all that hard for a 16 or 17 year old to convince a batender they were 18. Now it's the opposite, and so is the traffic flow. I'm pretty sure this was the restaurants' take on poutine, but they were afraid cheese curds might scare the American kids away.

Yesterday I had my last braunschweiger sandwich on that rye bread I made, so today I had to come up with something. So I made something with some grits - something I've always liked, but in recent years I add some steel cut oats to them, for the nutrition, and the flavor of the grits is still the main flavor, even when used 50/50. For the liquid, I measure out the water I need for the two grains, then put about a cup in the Vitamix with a small handful of dried tomatoes (probably equal to 12 oz of fresh), 3 dried moritas, and one large canned chipotle, plus a clove of garlic (that's right, I only used one, and it is garlic!), and blended it smooth. I dumped that into the Instant Pot, with the grains, and rinsed the VM and lid out with the remaining water (can't waste any of that stuff, like they do on cooking shows). Added a little salt (not much - cheese comes later), then set it on slow cook normal, and went out in my garden for an hour or so. Then I came in, and stirred the IP, and added about 3 c of okra that I cut into about 3/4" pieces, mixed well, then re-set the IP to slow cook LOW, and went back out. Another hour later, I came in and stirred in about 3/4 c grated pecorino, and stirred in about a cup of that "Italian style" shredded cheese, from Aldi. Plenty of salt, with all the cheese, and didn't need any more heat! Had a bowl of it, and there are about 3 more servings, to reheat in the MW other times.

Had lunch with friends I grew up with, in the area where they still have the same cottage. It was very nostalgic driving around the community seeing all the old cottages, some of which have been rebuilt into stone mansions (at least that's how I saw them).
Drove over the golf course in a golf cart - I certainly don't remember how hilly that course was, very challenging! But then I only skied on that course during the winter - I didn't play golf!

Lunch was Lasagna, salad, garlic bread, apple pie. It was delicious and all store bought!

I had a lovely afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom