What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That soup sounds like the recipe was made with availability of ingredients in mind. Carrots and onions are almost always available and they can last a long time in the fridge.

The crescent rolls sound good. Do you think they would work with puff pastry cut to size?
That sounds about right, Taxy. I keep Green Beans on hand for the pups, Garbanzos for hummus and tomatoes for all sorts of reasons! ;) And, I've pretty much always got a few choices for onions along with carrots and celery too...and I was tempted to throw some celery in that pot!

I don't know about puff pastry for the rollups. I'm afraid the puff would not produce the same, or a good result? Pie crust might work.

We did enjoy the lunch and a good thing too, as there's enough leftovers that we can have it again tomorrow! I think I'll make the rollups again, but use one of the small cans with just 4 rolls instead. I had 1 rollup and Mikey had 3, so the smaller can will still work for us.

That sounds about right, Taxy. I keep Green Beans on hand for the pups, Garbanzos for hummus and tomatoes for all sorts of reasons! ;) And, I've pretty much always got a few choices for onions along with carrots and celery too...and I was tempted to throw some celery in that pot!

I don't know about puff pastry for the rollups. I'm afraid the puff would not produce the same, or a good result? Pie crust might work.

We did enjoy the lunch and a good thing too, as there's enough leftovers that we can have it again tomorrow! I think I'll make the rollups again, but use one of the small cans with just 4 rolls instead. I had 1 rollup and Mikey had 3, so the smaller can will still work for us.
You keep green beans on hand for the pups? Never heard of that. I was thinking of back when that recipe was published, that most people would likely have cans of green beans and tomatoes in their pantry. I'm less sure about the garbanzo beans. When did those become a staple? I don't remember regularly keeping cans of garbanzo beans on hand until some time in the early 1980s - for making hummus.

Taxy, On twitter there was a wonderful bulldog named Roxy who had a neurological condition which caused her to lose use of her legs and other things. They fed her no salt green beans and it helped her immensely - to the point Green Giant found out and sponsored her. Sadly Roxy passed away about a year ago but every since I slice a few green beans into Miley's food when I have them!

You keep green beans on hand for the pups? Never heard of that. I was thinking of back when that recipe was published, that most people would likely have cans of green beans and tomatoes in their pantry. I'm less sure about the garbanzo beans. When did those become a staple? I don't remember regularly keeping cans of garbanzo beans on hand until some time in the early 1980s - for making hummus.
Yep, no-salt green beans. When they go on sale at Bi-Mart, we pickup a case or two. The dogs enjoy them. We use them to add a bit of extra and fiber, without a lot of calories. Corgis are the kind of dog that is always starving! If one fed them all they think they can eat, they would gain too much weight. One can also add cooked sweet potatoes or even canned PLAIN 100% pumpkin (not the pie filling stuff). More recently, I've been cooking for the dogs and using up some of that canned stuff to cook with their meal.

I too, made and had a vegetable soup. Have some cabbage (still) and needed to use. So perused a bunch of recipes for cabbage soups, almost all the same, LOL.
So just threw a bunch of stuff into the slow cooker and let her go. Have about 6 or so servings and one of them was todays lunch.
Next time I won't use a can of diced tomatoes. Too tomatoey for me. I seem to be off tomatoes lately. Other than fresh.
Still very good and now have some "quickie go to" lunches in the freezer. :)

Yep, no-salt green beans. When they go on sale at Bi-Mart, we pickup a case or two. The dogs enjoy them. We use them to add a bit of extra and fiber, without a lot of calories. Corgis are the kind of dog that is always starving! If one fed them all they think they can eat, they would gain too much weight. One can also add cooked sweet potatoes or even canned PLAIN 100% pumpkin (not the pie filling stuff). More recently, I've been cooking for the dogs and using up some of that canned stuff to cook with their meal.
I knew about the pumpkin. You can even add pumpkin puree to food for cats as a laxative, and cats are obligate carnivores. I may have heard about the sweet potato. So, the cases of no-salt green beans are canned beans? Do you ever give them fresh green beans?

I knew about the pumpkin. You can even add pumpkin puree to food for cats as a laxative, and cats are obligate carnivores. I may have heard about the sweet potato. So, the cases of no-salt green beans are canned beans? Do you ever give them fresh green beans?
Yes, doggies are the same...you use pumpkin for any, shall we say, tummy issues. We always have pumpkin in the RV when we travel!

Yes, canned green beans. I've used fresh and frozen for the pups. Canned is just easy to keep on hand. They do like it. Unlike carrots...LOL. Although, Stanley doesn't leave the carrots in the meals I cook for him. He was fond of eating "around" the carrots in the dehydrated stuff we had been feeding them...but Cadie would clean them up for him. :ROFLMAO:

This was sort of a lunch snack - another batch of guacamole, with everything from the garden, as usual, except for the avocados. I used one of those datil peppers, and it was very good, but would be too hot for most. The Hanoi Market is still my favorite for this. Probably the next to the last batch of the season, though I'll have more frozen tomatoes and peppers, to make it in the off-season, but it's not quite as good.

Yes, doggies are the same...you use pumpkin for any, shall we say, tummy issues. We always have pumpkin in the RV when we travel!

Yes, canned green beans. I've used fresh and frozen for the pups. Canned is just easy to keep on hand. They do like it. Unlike carrots...LOL. Although, Stanley doesn't leave the carrots in the meals I cook for him. He was fond of eating "around" the carrots in the dehydrated stuff we had been feeding them...but Cadie would clean them up for him. :ROFLMAO:
Growing up, we had a German Shepherd that loved people food. Actually, she simply liked to eat. She loved everything but lettuce and green peas. One Thanksgiving, Mom gave her much of the scraps from dinner. She mixed the dog food with the plate scrapings and loads of gravy. In this big bowl of food, she mixed in three green peas. At the end of the evening was the cleanest bowl one can imagine....along with three shiny, green peas. :LOL:

DH is fighting a nasty cold, so lunch needed to be warm and soothing. I grabbed a couple of quarts of chicken broth, 3 pods of homegrown Bok Choi, some mushrooms, shrimp and store-bought frozen mini wontons. Heated the broth with some oyster sauce, salt and a bunch of grated ginger. All in all, a very good soup for a cold autumn day.

IMG_7728.jpgIMG_7731.jpg

I had smoked turkey breast and iceberg on an onion roll with mayo, salt, and pepper for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom