What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had some ham with mozza cheese on whole wheat then another with some imitation crab on the whole wheat.

I don't know why I make whole wheat bread - I dislike whole wheat bread :(
Was only a 1.5# loaf but still gave half to upstairs. Guess I'll make some more again today but white or rye.

Today is National Sandwich Day! After learning about this, I went and took out my last loaf of potato rye, I put in the freezer a couple of weeks ago. I already have another lb of braunschweiger, from when Aldi had the sale on it at that time. So that will be on my menu, starting today, and the temperatures are going up, through next Tuesday, then after that, it goes back down. Good sandwich times!

Today I had a treat well worth mentioning. A new Dutch tiktok trend food. It's really good actually though very unhealthy. I introduce: the Crompouce!
20231103_111353.jpg

It's a croissant with pink hard glaze and vanilla pastry cream filling
20231103_120447.jpg

A crossover between the French croissant ( je me excuse) and a Dutch tompouce. A tompouce is basically a Dutch Millefeulle.

Today I had a treat well worth mentioning. A new Dutch tiktok trend food. It's really good actually though very unhealthy. I introduce: the Crompouce!
View attachment 66706
It's a croissant with pink hard glaze and vanilla pastry cream filling
View attachment 66707
A crossover between the French croissant ( je me excuse) and a Dutch tompouce. A tompouce is basically a Dutch Millefeulle.
Doesn't sound more unhealthy than any pastry made from real food. I don't think of pastries like that as unhealthy. What's unhealthy is eating too many of them.

Lunch today was supposed to be country fried ham and potatoes from a recipe I found, since I was tired of Halloween candy.

First off, I didn't have anything but baby red potatoes. I opted to peel them and I thought the easiest way would be to boil them and then dunk them in ice water. Update: this might work for tomatoes but it does squat for potatoes.

Then I found out that no matter how thick and juicy your ham slices are, when fried in butter they shrink to the thickness of paper and and the texture of chewing gum. I also learned that baby red potatoes fried in butter tasted - not good. So I ate, or rather chewed, the ham and set the potatoes aside for the raccoons. Then I went back to the Halloween candy.

I gotta get to the store for some bread so I can make ham sandwiches. *sigh*

I just made (and ate half of) my last batch of guacamole, using the last ripening cherry tomatoes out of my garden this year. The rest of the year, until I get tomatoes ripening again (more than half of the year), I use frozen tomatoes - a little more liquidy, but better than made with some of those flavorless tomatoes in the stores. And the best peppers are still those Hanoi Markets, which, fortunately, freeze very well.

rodent, I don't understand why your ham does that. Only time that has ever happened to me is when I accidently get the pan too hot or leave it in there too long.
Your ham (in all probability) is already cooked, you are just reheating and giving it a bit of colour (yep, plus the yummy butter).

I had leftover smoked pork shoulder and leftover white rice from the Chinese takeout so I made fried rice. I used up the mushrooms and threw in some broccoli along with sauteed white onion and green onion from the garden which is miraculously still growing despite the hard freezes. Of course the obligatory scrambled egg went on top along with furikake, soy, toasted sesame oil and extra sesame seeds.

20231223_154604.jpg

I had made some homemade spaghetti last week and frozen the majority of it, so I cooked a handful of it for lunch. I topped it with some leftover sauce made with white wine, sun-dried tomatoes, sauteed shallot, cremini mushrooms, and red bell pepper with a dash of cream, and a piece of parmesan encrusted chicken breast on top and some fresh herbs (and shaved parmesan cheese). It was pretty darned tasty!

1705615635901.jpeg

1705615577384.jpeg

I cut sweet potatoes in large fry shapes, red peppers in wide slices, and cauliflower in good sized chunks, made a batter, set out some bread crumbs. Mr bliss battered and breaded the veggies. Baked them for an hour and 10 minutes at 350 deg F. We had them with stir fry sauce for him and bulgogi and mustard sauce for me.
I often get half way through making something and take a break until I get hungry before I finish making things. If mr bliss sees things sitting out, he often finishes making them. That's so nice! I really appreciate it when it turns into a joint effort.

rodent, I don't understand why your ham does that. Only time that has ever happened to me is when I accidently get the pan too hot or leave it in there too long.
Your ham (in all probability) is already cooked, you are just reheating and giving it a bit of colour (yep, plus the yummy butter).
Isn't all ham sold in stores already cooked? I mean, how would you tell if it's not?

Anyway, for lunch I thawed a can of tuna in front of the space heater and had a tuna melt. I ate yellowfin tuna this time instead of albacore and it was much tastier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom