What's for Dinner 19th October?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of these days I will learn to do my shopping more frequently. I only went to two stores (and the dépanneur - convenience store - to get milk, it's the cheapest milk and wasn't a detour). Pooped me right out. Had no energy to cook supper, so we ordered out.

We ordered from Bofingers, which specializes in "American BBQ". I had pork ribs and Stirling had a smoked sausage sandwich. I thought my bbq sauce would come on the side. I was a little worried because I asked for "insane hot - call the fire department". Well, it was only about a 3 on a hot scale of 5. Call the fire department? Yeah, maybe they can bring over some fire. :LOL:

It was good, but not anywhere near "fall off the bone". Stirling really enjoyed his sandwich.

Went back to our new fave Italian restaurant. They still have a few issues.... We got a great tomato app that was mistaken for someone else, our lasagne arrived cold and got sent back, we got a whole new piece (we split a meal) and they forgot the croutons on our salad. We got fawned over, yet forgotten, as all the waitstaff would ask if we were taken care of. We thought so, then someone else would show up. Sorta Keystone Kops-like.

pacanis said:
I agree. Nothing wrong with dumplings over potatoes :)

My only regret with my dinner is that I didn't have a bigger piece of fish :(
Blackened red snapper, jasmine rice and pico de gallo in a tortilla. Can we say cultural cuisine challenged? :LOL:

Love red snapper... Hard to get around here....

Dawgluver said:
Went back to our new fave Italian restaurant. They still have a few issues.... We got a great tomato app that was mistaken for someone else, our lasagne arrived cold and got sent back, we got a whole new piece (we split a meal) and they forgot the croutons on our salad. We got fawned over, yet forgotten, as all the waitstaff would ask if we were taken care of. We thought so, then someone else would show up. Sorta Keystone Kops-like.

That kind of service is what keeps me at home..

DL, sorry to hear of your night out...not so good :rolleyes:

Cold lasagna is not good at all!

I made home made cheese pizza. Yum!

Here too Chopper........ ours had quartered artichoke hearts, paper thin white onion/bell pepper, mushrooms, pepperoni, grated garlic, and a ton of grated mozzarella cheese sprinkled with shaved Parmesan and fresh basil after cooking. Groan........so good!

I agree. Nothing wrong with dumplings over potatoes :)

My only regret with my dinner is that I didn't have a bigger piece of fish :(
Blackened red snapper, jasmine rice and pico de gallo in a tortilla. Can we say cultural cuisine challenged? :LOL:

That looks wonderful P :yum:

Kayelle said:
Here too Chopper........ ours had quartered artichoke hearts, paper thin white onion/bell pepper, mushrooms, pepperoni, grated garlic, and a ton of grated mozzarella cheese sprinkled with shaved Parmesan and fresh basil after cooking. Groan........so good!

That sounds good. Except for the mushrooms. ;)

Chopper, you dont like mushrooms much?

I must admit, I prefer them raw, rather than cooked :)

Thanks, Kylie :)

L2Q, I buy the frozen filets that come two to a pack. The big chain Giant Eagle has them. They are storebrand. Once in a while I see a whole snapper in the counter though.

I got my dinner cooked and my pictures shot, but by the time I got around to cropping the shots I was too tired so I decided to process them and post them today.

I pretty much just picked ingredients from my refrigerator and pantry without using any specific recipe. It came out good in the end but I should learn to shoot photos quicker so that my dinner would be warmer. :)

Thai curried shrimp (Kaeng Phet Kung)

Thai chili peppers, chopped
cilantro leaves
garlic, minced
Thai basil leaves
shrimp
shallots, some sliced and some chopped
lemongrass, minced
crab paste, Nang Fah (Tue Kung) brand - Thailand
jasmine rice
fresh tumeric, chopped
red curry paste, Maesri brand - Thailand
lime juice
red onion, sliced
Kaffir lime leaves
nam pla (fish sauce) - Cock brand - Thailand (not shown)
a bit of EVOO for the initial saute

I forgot to include the Kaffir lime leaves in the first shot so I composed a little arrangement of some of the ingredients in the middle shot. That's a sprig of Thai basil (Holy basil) at upper left with the flowers starting to bloom, and two Kaffir lime leaves (middle) showing their distinctive bi-eliptic or bi-obtuse form. (I'm not a botanist so don't hold me to that.) Once you've seen Kaffir limes you won't ever have trouble identifying them in the store. Supporting cast: a head of garlic, a shallot and a couple Thai chili peppers.

Although I love to cook Thai and Chinese it is often quite a task chopping all the ingredients. At least measurements are not required, particularly nam pla. I just pour it from the bottle into the wok--glug, glug--and I don't bother to count the glugs. After cooking is well along I taste a bit of the broth and add additional quantities as necessary.

I love to use chopsticks on Thai, Chinese and Japanese food, but in fact modern Thai people generally use Western utensils, knife, fork and spoon rather than chopsticks. I've been using chopsticks on Asian food since my late teens so their use seems natural to me. All it takes is practice, practice, practice. I like them because they're fun, and I like them in restaurants because most Americans do not know how to use chopsticks.

As I said, I'm posting this the next morning... I think I've had enough of complex recipes for a while and I think I'll just keep it simple tonight.

Last edited:
Thank you DL and the rest! I'm sure you know I'm really trying hard. IMO this is like a computer game where you need to break into the next level, and that's what I'm trying to achieve in my recipes and in my food photography.

I got my dinner cooked and my pictures shot, but by the time I got around to cropping the shots I was too tired so I decided to process them and post them today.

I pretty much just picked ingredients from my refrigerator and pantry without using any specific recipe. It came out good in the end but I should learn to shoot photos quicker so that my dinner would be warmer. :)

Thai curried shrimp (Kaeng Phet Kung)

Thai chili peppers, chopped
cilantro leaves
garlic, minced
Thai basil leaves
shrimp
shallots, some sliced and some chopped
lemongrass, minced
crab paste, Nang Fah (Tue Kung) brand - Thailand
jasmine rice
fresh tumeric, chopped
red curry paste, Maesri brand - Thailand
lime juice
red onion, sliced
Kaffir lime leaves
nam pla (fish sauce) - Cock brand - Thailand (not shown)
a bit of EVOO for the initial saute

I forgot to include the Kaffir lime leaves in the first shot so I composed a little arrangement of some of the ingredients in the middle shot. That's a sprig of Thai basil (Holy basil) at upper left with the flowers starting to bloom, and two Kaffir lime leaves (middle) showing their distinctive bi-eliptic or bi-obtuse form. (I'm not a botanist so don't hold me to that.) Once you've seen Kaffir limes you won't ever have trouble identifying them in the store. Supporting cast: a head of garlic, a shallot and a couple Thai chili peppers.

Although I love to cook Thai and Chinese it is often quite a task chopping all the ingredients. At least measurements are not required, particularly nam pla. I just pour it from the bottle into the wok--glug, glug--and I don't bother to count the glugs. After cooking is well along I taste a bit of the broth and add additional quantities as necessary.

I love to use chopsticks on Thai, Chinese and Japanese food, but in fact modern Thai people generally use Western utensils, knife, fork and spoon rather than chopsticks. I've been using chopsticks on Asian food since my late teens so their use seems natural to me. All it takes is practice, practice, practice. I like them because they're fun, and I like them in restaurants because most Americans do not know how to use chopsticks.

As I said, I'm posting this the next morning... I think I've had enough of complex recipes for a while and I think I'll just keep it simple tonight.

Looks great Greg :) I have those exact same dinner plates and I served my curry on them too :LOL:

Looks great Greg :) I have those exact same dinner plates and I served my curry on them too :LOL:

LOL, I got the plates at Dollar Tree. I liked them enough to buy 4, although I haven't sprung for the matching salad bowls. I just can't get over the $1 each price! I think I have bought the 4 we've been discussing plus three other designs 2 plates each. I'm going to visit the 99 cent store soon, to get more plates to shoot. I've really gotten into this (shooting my food, photographically), particularly since mostly it costs me only $2 for a pair of plates of any design.

I would buy only one plate (for shoots) but I figure if I buy at least two I can some day invite company over (just one person) and be able to change the designs for repeat guests, and also match the plate to the food. Tonight I served the jalapeno poppers to my neighbors, and I made a conscious decision as to which plate design made the food look best. It was the blue rings plates that looked more appealing to me.

I've never been into the aesthetics before, like which plates you use or the little sprigs of parsley, lime slices, lemon wedges, etc. When you get a camera between you and the food it looks very different, it's a whole new angle to look at food. As I go I'm remembering food shots I've seen over all the years particularly Sunset Magazine.

Food photography gives me a whole new appreciation for warm food. Now I get to choose between having good shots or warm food. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom