What's for Dinner 19th October?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Tonight I am having a beef schnitzel with homemade coleslaw and I am making Steve some grilled fish with a garden salad :yum:

Is it the 19th already? :) I guess you're on the cusp of the dateline Kylie...

Tonight (actually tomorrow for me) seems to be shrimp day, because I got shrimp yesterday and seems like I should cook it soon... I've also got curry paste (Maeploy brand, from Thailand), Kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, Thai chili peppers, Thai basil (Holy basil), fresh tumeric, cilantro leaves, nam pla Cock brand, from Thailand), jasmine rice (Cock brand, from Thailand), and um... what can you make with that? :D So you understand why I'm having Thai shrimp curry!

I once cooked Thai food every night for a whole month! Maybe that explains the latitude of my love of Thai food.

Did I say I'm posting pictures of my curry journey? ;) Of course I will! :)

I'll post pics of the tumeric too. I never knew tumeric except as a dried powder until about 4-5 years ago when I finally found fresh tumeric at one of my local Asian markets, 99 Ranch in Van Nuys, CA. I was there just today where I picked up my tumeric for my Thai curried shrimp tomorrow night. I was agast when I saw fresh tumeric at Whole Foods Market, my first time ever seeing tumeric in a mainstream store.

99 Ranch didn't have Kaffir lime leaves. I had to route myself past Bang Luck (Vietnamese market in Reseda, CA) so I could get Kaffir lime leaves. Luckily it was on my way. Oddly, I passed both Seafood City (North Hills, CA) and Greenland Market (Van Nuys, CA) without deviating from my optimum route, but I was at both of them yesterday and they didn't have anything I needed today.

Putting this together with many of my other posts you can understand why I came back to the big bad city. I'm sure there's cities in the US as good, and maybe a few better, but you don't see this kind of diversity in traditional America. (We have Indian markets and Latino markets too.)

Dinners coming up soon: sashimi, spicy tuna roll. It's about time I get back to making sushi rolls. Already got the tuna, nori (toasted seaweed sheets) and pickled ginger. Needless to say I wouldn't be caught dead with out my makisu and wasabi powder. ;)

Last edited:
Malay Style Beef Curry with Yellow Basmati Rice. Peach chutney and sliced banana to serve.

Post your ingredients and I'll post mine. It might be fun to compare the two. Amounts/method not necessary.

Kylie and Greg, your meals sound great! P.S It's the 19th here too. 7:36 am to be exact lol!

It's going 19th in just a few minutes for me here in Los Angeles. I'm already wishing I could start prep. I get so tired cooking that I think I'll do a few minutes here and a few minutes there throughout the day, and have all my stuff mise en place by the time dinner rolls around. Particularly cleaning the shrimp. I hate cleaning shrimp at 5 p.m. and having to do all the chopping etc. Too bad I don't have a food blender (yep, both of them are in storage).

Post your ingredients and I'll post mine. It might be fun to compare the two. Amounts/method not necessary.

My ingredients (I don't use a recipe but I always use the following)

Stewing beef, with bones and marrow. (usually shin)
Onions
Tomatoes
Carrots
Dried apricots
Malay curry paste
Turmeric
Cloves whole
cinnamon whole
Star anise whole
Curry leaves
garlic crushed
salt and pepper
Stock ( beef or veg )

Last edited:
Something with Jasmine rice. Maybe some kind of blackened fish.

The plan is manicotti. Deciding on sides. An asparagus salad is at the top of the list.

Tonight I'm defrosting a couple of chicken dinner pies. I'll pop them in the oven to heat them through and crisp the crust.

My ingredients (I don't use a recipe but I always use the following)

Stewing beef, with bones and marrow. (usually shin)
Onions
Tomatoes
Carrots
Dried apricots
Malay curry paste
Turmeric
Cloves whole
cinnamon whole
Star anise whole
Curry leaves
garlic crushed
salt and pepper
Stock ( beef or veg )

Thanks for the ingredients Snip :)

I baked a breaded pork chop. Put a spoon of dijon in the beaten egg before dipping. I'm sure this has been thought of before, but I just though of it on the spur of the moment. It spiffed this up nicely. Also a baked sweet potato. There is apple pie and ice cream for this evening.

wow, everything sounds so good. I'm making rotisserie chicken panini's w/muenster & baby swiss, garden ripe tomato, red onion, thousand island. Blackberry pie.
But I'd rather eat at Greg's. I'm a beginner Thai food cook. I think I could live on it :<)

I took two Delmonico steaks out for supper tonight. DH just called. He forgot to tell me he was going to a dinner meeting tonight. So I guess I'll put the steaks in the fridge for tomorrow and will heat up some leftovers for me. I have meatloaf, chicken, mac and cheese, potato cakes to choose from.

I took two Delmonico steaks out for supper tonight. DH just called. He forgot to tell me he was going to a dinner meeting tonight. So I guess I'll put the steaks in the fridge for tomorrow and will heat up some leftovers for me. I have meatloaf, chicken, mac and cheese, potato cakes to choose from.
Or you could tell him how good the steaks were! :angel:

Date night at our friends' tonight. One of the yummiest things she makes, but also probably the worst for our diet, chicken and dumplings. To make it even yummier/deadlier she serves it over mashed potatoes. :yum: Ack! :yum:

Barbara L said:
Or you could tell him how good the steaks were! :angel:

Date night at our friends' tonight. One of the yummiest things she makes, but also probably the worst for our diet, chicken and dumplings. To make it even yummier/deadlier she serves it over mashed potatoes. :yum: Ack! :yum:

That sounds fantastic... Proper fat boy dinner...

That sounds fantastic... Proper fat boy dinner...

I agree. Nothing wrong with dumplings over potatoes :)

My only regret with my dinner is that I didn't have a bigger piece of fish :(
Blackened red snapper, jasmine rice and pico de gallo in a tortilla. Can we say cultural cuisine challenged? :LOL:

Attachments

• blackened fish, rice, pico.jpg
    blackened fish, rice, pico.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 237

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom