What's for dinner 2nd Jan 2012?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carnitas, black beans, cumin rice, tortillas and fixins.

Craig

give us a review. There is one in Dubuque, but when I get out there I'm usually looking for ethnicity I can't get here in Galena. But I'm curious anyway, one opened there a year or so ago.

I've always pictured it as a burger joint but their menu is much more extensive.

It's a burger joint.

Lots of pop art on the walls and around the dining room. Noisy but normal for this kind of place.

SO and I shared an order of onion rings.
I had a mushroom cheese burger, garlic fries and a beer
She had a chicken Caprese sandwich, sweet potato fries and a glass of wine.

The check was $46 before tip.

The onion rings and booze were really good.
but...
The fries were mealy and limp
The burger was dry

SO liked her chicken sandwich.

They have a grand total of four deserts on the menu.

My first time cooking as a 20 year old, and my first time experimenting with Quorn mince.

Never tried Quorn before, but I recently learned how it's high in protein and low in fat, and I need all the protein I can get at the moment. Hopefully I like it, and then I can buy the fillets to use instead of chicken breasts. I always wanted to be a vegetarian, but I just don't think I can do it.
Anyway, we'll see how my Quorn bolognese turns out tonight, you never know, I might be a convert! Fingers crossed it's a success with my family.
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

some leftovers: prime rib, au gratin potatoes, creamed spinach. Had to make another Yorkshire Pudding...luckily I had some beef suet still. :)

I started with some leftover rib roast trimmings and bones. Put them in the oven with some goodies and made a stock which I used tonight and will use tomorrow for a beef veggie soup.
Tonight was Beef Ragu.

Attachments

• DSC00212.jpg
    DSC00212.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC00214.jpg
    DSC00214.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00217.jpg
    DSC00217.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 125
I finally made that chicken cacciatore that I have been threatening to make for days. I think I have made tastier cacciatore with the same recipe, but not bad. It was awfully wet. I might make soup with the sauce. I served it with brown basmati rice because I was tired of pasta.

IMG_2971.JPG
IMG_2967.JPG

It's a burger joint.

Lots of pop art on the walls and around the dining room. Noisy but normal for this kind of place.

SO and I shared an order of onion rings.
I had a mushroom cheese burger, garlic fries and a beer
She had a chicken Caprese sandwich, sweet potato fries and a glass of wine.

The check was $46 before tip.

The onion rings and booze were really good.
but...
The fries were mealy and limp
The burger was dry

SO liked her chicken sandwich.

They have a grand total of four deserts on the menu.

I almost choked on hearing the total cost of your tab. OR, burger and fries, chicken sandwich and SP fries, a beer and a glass of wine for $46?

This is one of the major reasons I cook my own food, because I enjoy cooking and because I can't stand outrageous prices dining out. I like restaurants because they allow you to explore new food without needing to become an expert, and then if you like the food you can get on the Internet and figure out how to duplicate the same thing, probably better, and at a lower cost.

I nuked leftovers. It was okay but not great. I'd rather cook and eat freshly prepared food.

We went yesterday--having read the books, I knew the story. I thought the writer did a great job of pulling the key pieces out of the novel to keep the story moving and to leave the "openings" should the other two books be made into films.

I think the Dragon movie just came out in the U.S. I was given the 3 books for Christmas, but haven't had time to open them yet. I said I would close my eyes during the last 5 minutes of the movie, and "avoid" learning the ending. Heheh. I Honestly thought the book series was like an Ann of Green Gables/ Disneyesque type of series, set in Contemporary Sweden. Boy, was I wrong on this. Now I really want to read the books all the way through. Good movie, not a family film.

I'm a GWTDT fan. I'm glad I never heard of the movies before I read all three novels in the Millennium trilogy. There's another topic on the forum (starting here and various discussion later in the topic) that goes into it more and I don't feel like typing a lot in the 2nd Jan 2012 what's for dinner topic.

It's surprising that I encounter discussions about GWTDT wherever I go. I'm glad I caught into the enthusiasm even before the second novel was translated into English and published. I read the debut novel and had to wait until publishing caught up before I could read the second and third in the series.

Last edited:
We had leftover prime rib, with mashed potatoes and gravy, salad and roasted brussels sprouts. All kinds of chocolate and candy around here, so we don't need actual dessert :)

dw made a plain roast chicken, sauteed broccoli, and my son helped out and made garlic bread.

img_1090884_0_92cee8592486e4ba6c3860987aad69e7.jpg

img_1090884_1_6abda3e820c7777eb5a5afb41e92efdb.jpg

Rocklobster said:
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

It was amazing! I never knew something that isn't meat could taste so, well meaty! I'm currently not a vegetarian, but wanted to try this mince out, and it was delicious. Sauce was just made with some onions, carrot, celery, garlic, tinned chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, a good dash of Worcestershire sauce, and some oregano and marjoram. Was really tasty and will definitely have it again!

Back
Top Bottom